By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO REJECTED PROJECT NATAL TECHNOLOGY

joehok.gr said:
natal isnt only for videogames.it is for movies for comunications.and it works realy well to all these things.in my opinion natal is the future,,but not the videogame future.so dont act like crazy against microsoft.sony is really a joke.2 sticks with a silly design and the same results with motion plus which is allredy something old and we all know it will be very expensive.come on sony ,,,,,you can do better than that!

The thing is, unless people are looking for an "all-in-one" box, they don't need/want their consoles to do more than play videogames (perhaps with the side ability to use it as a DVD player)

If there's one lesson history's shown thus far, internet use for general browsing/communication is better done on a computer, as is making movies and editing them down.

Natal tech is interesting, but until I'm shown more on the system, I can't see a useful application with it for the 360 that makes it a "must-have".

Movement in 3D space is limited to basic movement functions without a secondardy virtual movement method (like a control stick for character movement in time and space ) In other words, you cant run around your living room chasing someone down in Gears of War.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
EL_PATRAS said:
does anyone know what inconviniences or short comings the camera based system might have?

Off the top of my head:

- it doesn't have any buttons, triggers or analog sticks which makes it hard or impossible to make certain games. How are you going to walk in a 3D world (and at different speeds)? Is it accurate enough to detect individual fingers to perform actions like firing a weapon? What if the fingers can't be well seen by the camera?
- you have to set up your room so that your whole body can be seen by the camera
- it requires you to have a lot of free space, especially for multiplayer games where everyone has their personal "arm flailing" space, and you can't put people if front of each other or they'll block the camera's view of the other players.
- it only works at 30 fps
- in the E3 demo it looked like it had some lag
- inaccurate tracking problems (the BAM moment)

The biggest problem is the first of course. The only games Microsoft has shown are some simple "casual" games, and a racing game (with no word on how the control compares to the normal 360 controller). Until Microsoft shows more games, many people are going to be rightly skeptical.

Another thing to consider was that Nintendo (and many third party publishers) have said that they are (trying to be) careful with the Wii to not create too intensive of controls because they didn't want to exhaust players. Most (good) Wii games as a result either have "Intense" motion controls in short bursts for short period of times, of very "Mild" motion controls over a sustained period of time.

As cool as Natal is, I'm not certain you have the ability to have games with moderately high action while not exhausting a gamer because the only input for the player is large physical movements. In one way I think this is a good thing, because getting a gamer to have a modest cardio workout doing something they enjoy is very good, at the same time I think this could frustrate as many (or more) gamers than enjoy it.

NJ5 said:
EL_PATRAS said:
does anyone know what inconviniences or short comings the camera based system might have?

Off the top of my head:

- it doesn't have any buttons, triggers or analog sticks which makes it hard or impossible to make certain games. How are you going to walk in a 3D world (and at different speeds)? Is it accurate enough to detect individual fingers to perform actions like firing a weapon? What if the fingers can't be well seen by the camera?
- you have to set up your room so that your whole body can be seen by the camera
- it requires you to have a lot of free space, especially for multiplayer games where everyone has their personal "arm flailing" space, and you can't put people if front of each other or they'll block the camera's view of the other players.
- it only works at 30 fps
- in the E3 demo it looked like it had some lag
- inaccurate tracking problems (the BAM moment)

The biggest problem is the first of course. The only games Microsoft has shown are some simple "casual" games, and a racing game (with no word on how the control compares to the normal 360 controller). Until Microsoft shows more games, many people are going to be rightly skeptical.

i'd like to add to that list..

- programing for human movements - anyone who has played a significant amount of Wii can tell you that sometimes you think you are moving the controlls correctly but things don't work.  move the controller in just a slightly different way and suddenly it works perfect.  the biggest issue with "motion" controls is that they are analog and the game programmer has to interpet what you are doing into what you want the game to be doing.  the more degrees of freedom the more complicated the process becomes.  right now the wii mote with motion+ gives freedom in all directions for 1 point.  the natal is like 20ish points i think which just makes things 20ish times more complicated.

wasnt something like this already posted?

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m