By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony (SNE) Will Have To Sell Its Studio Business, Could Get $6 Billion

vaio said:

Sony (SNE) Will Have To Sell Its Studio Business, Could Get $6 Billion

Sony (SNE) is in trouble, and it is very deep trouble. For the fiscal year ending March 31, the conglomerate lost more than $1 billion on $79 billion in revenue. Sales were down by over 12%

Sony could do several things with the cash. It might give shareholders who are tired of the company’s constant struggles a larger dividend or share buyback. Sony’s market cap is only $28 billion, so it could purchase a significant portion of its shares. Sony could also use the money for its capital expenditures or to reduce its modest debt. The cash could certainly be used for strategic acquisitions to buttress its flagging electronics and game divisions.

Douglas A. McIntrye

http://247wallst.com/2009/06/07/sony-sne-will-have-to-sell-its-studio-business/

This is pure rentier idiocy. Total losses are under 1% of annual sales, far less than many other companies, despite the depth of the recession. Sony doesn't have much debt and has plenty of cash flow, so it doesn't need the extra cash. This notion of giving the money to "shareholders" is a sick joke -- a polite way of saying, forking billions over to a bunch of greedy, self-interested oligarchic scum who don't know a frame-rate from an interest rate, and whose speculative folly screwed up the world-economy so bad, it needed a $4 trillion (and counting) government bailout financed by ordinary taxpayers like you and me.

Here's a better idea: instead of financing the yachts and private jets of Wall Street overlords, Sony does what it always does -- spend money on world-class studios, top-tier technology and great games.

Around the Network

This is even more idiotic as Angels and Demons passes $400 million worldwide

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

SlorgNet said:
vaio said:

Sony (SNE) is in trouble, and it is very deep trouble. For the fiscal year ending March 31, the conglomerate lost more than $1 billion on $79 billion in revenue. Sales were down by over 12%

Sony could do several things with the cash. It might give shareholders who are tired of the company’s constant struggles a larger dividend or share buyback. Sony’s market cap is only $28 billion, so it could purchase a significant portion of its shares. Sony could also use the money for its capital expenditures or to reduce its modest debt. The cash could certainly be used for strategic acquisitions to buttress its flagging electronics and game divisions.

Douglas A. McIntrye

This is pure rentier idiocy. Total losses are under 1% of annual sales, far less than many other companies, despite the depth of the recession. Sony doesn't have much debt and has plenty of cash flow, so it doesn't need the extra cash. This notion of giving the money to "shareholders" is a sick joke -- a polite way of saying, forking billions over to a bunch of greedy, self-interested oligarchic scum who don't know a frame-rate from an interest rate, and whose speculative folly screwed up the world-economy so bad, it needed a $4 trillion (and counting) government bailout financed by ordinary taxpayers like you and me.

Here's a better idea: instead of financing the yachts and private jets of Wall Street overlords, Sony does what it always does -- spend money on world-class studios, top-tier technology and great games.

There is just so much wrong or misleading in that post...

1- If you look at the fiscal year, the net loss was 1.3% of revenue. But that includes 3 profitable quarters, in the quarter where they lost money the net loss was 10.8% of revenue:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/08q4/slide/image/22_image.jpg

2- Cash flow is negative ($4.3 billion lost in the past year):

http://www.google.com/finance?fstype=ci&q=NYSE:SNE

3- Shareholders are the owners of the company. It very often happens that shareholders receive money. Ever heard of dividends and share buybacks?

4- They have more debt than cash:

http://www.google.com/finance?fstype=bi&q=NYSE:SNE

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

SlorgNet said:
vaio said:

Douglas A. McIntrye

This is amazingly out of touch with reality. WOW I do not think people should attempt to discuss things they do not know very much about.

The primary responsibility of a company is profit maximization for its shareholders within law/regulations.

When a company performs well enough to achieve profitability, it usually has two choices: Reward its shareholders or reinvest within the company.

How do you think companies raise equity capital? Investors contribute money in exhange for stake in a company. Said investors usually expect a return on investment.

And I thought it was common knowledge in the business world that Sony is in a very tough spot right now?

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

jcp234 said:
SlorgNet said:
vaio said:

Douglas A. McIntrye

This is amazingly out of touch with reality. WOW I do not think people should attempt to discuss things they do not know very much about.

The primary responsibility of a company is profit maximization for its shareholders within law/regulations.

When a company performs well enough to achieve profitability, it usually has two choices: Reward its shareholders or reinvest within the company.

How do you think companies raise equity capital? Investors contribute money in exhange for stake in a company. Said investors usually expect a return on investment.

And I thought it was common knowledge in the business world that Sony is in a very tough spot right now?

I don't see how this refutes the earlier argument  , infact I think it makes it stronger . If shareholders force Sony's hand then  by making them sell of the more profitable divisons of the business then they risk de-valuaing Sony and hence their shares in the longer term, even if they get a quick n easy return on their investment. And other objectives of a business is to grow a sustain growth , this one of the only ways the main aim of larger profit margins can be achieved, some investors are more patient than others.

Around the Network
Million said:
jcp234 said:
SlorgNet said:
vaio said:

Douglas A. McIntrye

I don't see how this refutes the earlier argument  , infact I think it makes it stronger . If shareholders force Sony's hand then  by making them sell of the more profitable divisons of the business then they risk de-valuaing Sony and hence their shares in the longer term, even if they get a quick n easy return on their investment. And other objectives of a business is to grow a sustain growth , this one of the only ways the main aim of larger profit margins can be achieved, some investors are more patient than others.

Did you actually read the post I was directly replying to? How does that make the post any stronger? You definitely lost me...especially when he/she insists Sony doesn't have much debt and plenty of cash? That alone discredits the entire post. I never agreed or disagreed with the idea of Sony selling off anything. Whatever happens, I want Sony to be around in the future. But the ideas communicated in the post are just flat out wrong and do not make much business sense.

"The notion of giving money to shareholders is a sick joke" 

...that came from the original post I replied to.

lol um, hello...all assets of the company belong to the shareholders! That includes the money!

Your response to my post even further boggles my mind, because I never attempted to disprove any of the things mentioned in your post. What's your motivation?

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

jcp234 said:
Million said:
jcp234 said:
SlorgNet said:
vaio said:

Douglas A. McIntrye

Did you actually read the post I was directly replying to? How does that make the post any stronger? You definitely lost me...especially when he/she insists Sony doesn't have much debt and plenty of cash? That alone discredits the entire post. I never agreed or disagreed with the idea of Sony selling off anything. Whatever happens, I want Sony to be around in the future. But the ideas communicated in the post are just flat out wrong and do not make much business sense.

"The notion of giving money to shareholders is a sick joke" 

...that came from the original post I replied to.

lol um, hello...all assets of the company belong to the shareholders! That includes the money!

Your response to my post even further boggles my mind, because I never attempted to disprove any of the things mentioned in your post. What's your motivation?

Defending Sony , that or not reading properly -_-.

I understand. LOL

I support Microsoft on this site, but I do want Sony to stay in the game! Sony makes valuable contributions to the gaming industry.

But like I said, it's commonly known that Sony is in a bit of a pickle.

will never happen

Currently Playing: God of War Collection

2010 Anticipations PS3: MAG, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Last Guardian

2010 Anticipations 360: Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, alan wake, halo reach, fable III, fallout: new vegas

2010 Anticipations Wii: zelda

SlorgNet said:
vaio said:

Douglas A. McIntrye

Best post of this thread, by far!

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony execs also have many luxury items as well.