By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Understanding the Wii vitality sensor.

http://bitmob.com/index.php/component/content/article/1/1041-feedback-understanding-the-wii-vitality-sensor

Written by YesWiiCan

Editor's Note: Thought the Wii Vitality Sensor was lame? Nicholas has some really interesting ideas for how it could work, from casual to hardcore. Give the full story a read. -Shoe

At E3 2009, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata surprised everyone with a new peripheral for the Wii, known as the Wii Vitality Sensor. The Wii Vitality Sensor is supposed to detect how relaxed you are while playing games. The audience, mostly gaming journalists with core gamer audiences, were left scratching their heads at the revelation.

Truthfully, it's very difficult to try to understand how the Wii Vitality Sensor has any application to the realm of videogames at all. However, the reality is that the Wii Vitality Sensor is most likely another important step in Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy: getting as many people to play and enjoy video games as possible.

Take a step back for a moment and analyze Nintendo's strategies in the market. First, with hardware, they broke down complicated control schemes by utilizing simple, familiar technology. Second, they broke down menus and firmware into their simplest terms so that users would feel comfortable using the hardware. Third, they selected different types of software to bring non-gamers into the market. Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy thus far has been all about breaking down barriers, making the path of entry into the realm of gaming for non-gamers as painless as possible.

However, the barriers must be broken down even further for some. Browse through Kotaku and look for a story about a patent for Nintendo's "Kind Code" -- a type of gameplay mechanism that basically functions as an in-game hint system to aid gamers when they feel lost or are feeling like they're having difficulty playing. Take into consideration a gameplay mechanic that we've heard developers speak about for years: curving difficulty. Certain games adjust in difficulty based on the game's perception of the player's skill. In games where curving difficulty works, it makes games more accessible. In games where it doesn't work or doesn't work as well as it should, curving difficulty is frustrating.

Wouldn't it be great for a game to adjust in difficulty based on the player's level of frustration?

Enter the Wii Vitality Sensor, potentially the biggest breakthrough in player/game interaction in years. If the Wii Vitality Sensor can detect how frustrated you are, it could transmit that data to the game in your Wii console in real-time. So, hypothetically speaking, that data could be used to curve the game's difficulty automatically or bring up "Kind Code" to aid the player through a frustrating section of the game.

Imagine being in a game where you're fighting a difficult boss. You're wearing a Wii Vitality Sensor. Your frustration level goes up. The Wii Vitality Sensor transmits this information to the game. Suddenly, the boss becomes a little less difficult. Maybe health or various other power-ups start emerging more in battle. Maybe a portion of that boss' health suddenly disintegrates. Maybe his tactics become less aggressive and your opportunities to strike him increase. Or maybe it's something simpler: maybe Kind Code pops up and the game starts pointing out to you tactics to defeat the boss. Maybe the Kind Code shows you a spell you should be casting or a weapon you should be using. Maybe if a few hints don't help, the Kind Code becomes more aggressive, pointing out every single opportunity and tactic to help you beat him.

You eventually slay the boss. You are relaxed and you feel accomplished. Welcome to the purpose of the Wii Vitality Sensor.

However, in theory, the Wii Vitality Sensor could go beyond merely detecting frustration. Imagine a game like Rez being fitted for the Wii Vitality Sensor. Your pulse dictates the flow of the game, increasing or decreasing the number of enemies and their difficulty. Now, a game like this could be used in the sense that I mentioned above, which is increased frustration equals decreased challenge. However, it could also function as a type of reverse gaming psychology. Maybe increased frustration increases the difficulty, forcing the player to adhere to the Wii Vitality Sensor's ultimate underlying purpose -- relaxation while playing videogames -- in order to continue making progress in the game.

Let's continue on the topic of relaxation. Take a game like Endless Ocean, which is supposed to be very relaxing. Add Wii Vitality Sensor support to that title. Imagine you're the main character, swimming deep into the ocean, admiring wildlife. But you can't enjoy it. You're frustrated -- maybe you've had a bad day, maybe you were playing another game and it frustrated you -- but for whatever reason, you can't enjoy it. Through Wii Vitality Sensor data detection from previous playthroughs, the game knows there's certain wildlife you like seeing more than others. The game brings up those fish and mellows out the soundtrack so that you can enjoy the game more, hoping to make you relax.

The Wii Vitality Sensor could also be applied to fitness, which is a software priority not only for Nintendo, but their third-party partners at EA and Ubisoft as well. Imagine standing on the Wii Fit Balance Board, wearing the Wii Vitality Sensor. You're doing your daily Wii Fit workout. The game adjusts the workout based on the readouts it's getting from the Wii Vitality Sensor. If you're doing better, maybe you get an increased challenge in your workout. If you're not doing as well and getting frustrated, maybe you get an easier workout or a change in routine to help you.

Or, imagine that you're playing a Dance Dance Revolution-type game, still on the Balance Board with the Wii Vitality Sensor. If you're having difficulty keeping pace with the game, it could slow down the pace of your "steps" or decrease the number of "steps" you have to make in order to continue (or vice versa).

Now, let's look at a more core gamer-friendly application for the Wii Vitality Sensor. Imagine you're playing Resident Evil or Silent Hill, where the game not only gets more or less difficult, but more or less frightening based on your data from the sensor's readings. If you're really scared or too scared, maybe the game tones down the scare level a bit. If you're not scared at all, maybe Silent Hill starts taking pages from The Exorcist in order to frighten you more and add to the game's mood.

The Wii Vitality Sensor has plenty of potential for gaming applications, albeit much of it hidden at first glance. If developers can capitalize on said potential, we could be looking at a new level of immersion in video games. Games might not just replicate 1:1 movement thanks to motion controllers, but react in real time to your mood and frustration level. Certain genres of games, like fitness, music and survival-horror titles could gain entirely new dimensions because of it. However, just like with any peripheral, the real measure of its success will be how developers utilize it. If developers never try to maximize the Wii Vitality Sensor's full potential, the peripheral could be looking at nothing but negative feedback.

Around the Network

This is actually a surprisingly well written article YesWiiCan, very surprising that its coming from you (not the subject matter but how well written and concise it is)

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

SJGohan3972 said:
This is actually a surprisingly well written article YesWiiCan, very surprising that its coming from you (not the subject matter but how well written and concise it is)

hellz yeh b0y, i r right it g00d.

Problem is the device takes the nunchuck slot. Unless the device comes with an adaptar so two Wii attachments can be connected at the same time I don't see this being used with any core games other than rail shooters and I think we have already had enough of those.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

i dunno. the vitality sensor seems like a good idea, but more like a waste of money. the article was good though. The wii really needs a price drop!

Chicken wings are best with buffalo sauce. If you haven't tried that you haven't lived! It's a proven fact, well, not really.

Around the Network
Aaron11 said:
i dunno. the vitality sensor seems like a good idea, but more like a waste of money. the article was good though. The wii really needs a price drop!

I hope ur never a person who detemines the price for system

OT: That is why I need it for contra

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I didn't even think of the difficulty curve idea but its brilliant. Thatd be great to see that included in some games, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if thats why Iwata made the device. There all about breaking down the barrier between gamers, and this would be a device that would really contribute to pulling that off.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

disregarding all current opinions on it:

it is insane! i find it hard to imagine games for it. and for that reason i want to play whatever insane games come of it.

i hope for a warioware 2 with a bunch of insane things happening with it.

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Get out of my head, Nintendo! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

tuoyo said:
Problem is the device takes the nunchuck slot. Unless the device comes with an adaptar so two Wii attachments can be connected at the same time I don't see this being used with any core games other than rail shooters and I think we have already had enough of those.

Damn you. That was my original thought also. How many games use the nunchuck? Over half probably. How many of what people refer to as "core games" use the nunchuck? Probably way higher than half. It just can't be used in the manner this article is speaking of with a lot of the software for the Wii.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.