By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Much better SDF review

SDF Review: Halo 2.5 (360)

First of all, an apology to my readers. I would have had this review up sooner, but I made the mistake of buying the Collector's Edition and my Halo 3 disc was broken in half. I can only assume it was M$'s intention to keep honest, unbias reviewers such as myself from writing a review before people had a chance to waste their money on this disgusting abortion of a product.

When looking at the history of the Halo franchise, it really comes as no surprise that Halo 3 is such a disappointment. The original Halo was rushed to release by M$ in an attempt to follow-up on the success of the Sony's smash-hit Killzone franchise. This rushed, sloppy release has apparently become standard for Bungie and M$. It seems appropriate that a system rushed to the market with design flaws has a flagship game that was also rushed to the market with design flaws.

And oh, what design flaws it has.

The first thing I did upon loading up my new copy of Halo 3 at my friend's house (what, you think I'd own an XBox PleaseFixMe? Who do you think I am) was compare it to the Killzone 2 trailer from E3 2005. "Compare" isn't really a fair word, though, as Killzone 2 is an a different world - no, different UNIVERSE than Halo 3. In fact, for the first 10 minutes or so my friend was playing through the game (again, wouldn't touch the game MYSELF with a 10 foot stick) I thought for sure he'd stuck in a copy of Halo 1. I knew he had to be tricking me - there was no way M$ had released something that looked that bad as their premium system seller. But they had.

Speaking of Killzone 2, let's talk a bit about what it has that Halo 3 doesn't. 18 person campaign co-op. Free online gaming with up to 500 people in a single game. A graphics engine that doesn't look like it was made in 1998. Blu-ray. Cell. Did I mention Blu-ray and Cell?

On the positives side, I couldn't help but think that the fatal flaw didn't lie with the game itself, but rather in the console it was made for. Sure, the story couldn've been written by a retarded 9 year old. Sure, the gameplay might've been innovative if the game were a sequel to the original Doom. Sure, the AI is one step below Pac-Man's ghosts. But the true limitations lie with the long-dead DVD9 format - the single player campaign lasts about 3 hours because Bungie simply couldn't fit any more. And, of course, the already barely-capable multiplayer is crippled because M$ expects us to pay $50 for a service that isn't half of what PSN offers. But there was still so much potential there - potential that could've been unleashed with the power of Cell and Blu-ray.

And I think, some day, it will be. One day, Bungie employees will stop crying about their failure long enough to realize their dream - like all dreams - could be made true by the power of the PS3.

So, like Bioshock, I can't really recommend Halo 3 - yet. Wait a few years, for Halo 3 Sigma to come out on the PS3 (or maybe PS4 - Bungie is pretty deep in M$'s pockets). Trust me, it's coming. And while it still won't be a Killzone 2, it might be worth buying used sometime in 2011.

The good news is, Halo 3 will do nothing to resurrect the corpse that is the 360 in North America. I'd be surprised if it sold upwards of a dozen copies nationwide - after everyone who pre-orders it demands their money back. After all, they supposedly bought a 360 game, not an N64 game. If anything the spectacular implosion caused by Halo 3 will simply clear the ground for the PS3's triumphant march through North America.

SDF Score: 2.5/10

a fan was dissapointed so he wrote this, personally its alot better then the true SDF one

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

lol

They say wait for the halo remake on the ps3 and its going to be worth it, and the same game on another system is not worth it?

Fanboys I say!! Fanboys!!

mM

lol if you knowtice leo j, the screenshot is from halo 1 lol

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

what's funny is he compares it to the KZ2 trailer of 2005 which was precalculated (yea yea it was) video..... and what we saw in the intro this year is already way under 2005.... (i'm not saying it's bad don't flame)... I thought it was funny because if it goes down that much every year for the game Halo 3 GOW and Bioshock can sleep tight for a while.......
I hope KZ 2 will be good.... so PS3 people we'll be happy....
but just to piss that site off it would be awesome that KZ 2 sucks so we can copy past the bad reviews from all the famous website and send it to him and laugh lol

I've been on the internet so long I can no longer distinguish clever satire from honest stupidity.

Around the Network

@endimon

Way under? Its bascily the same thing..

I noticed it was a halo 1 picture the whole time, the flood look like idiots running around I love killing them one by one (a slowly and painful death..):D

mM
Lost tears of Kain said:

SDF Review: Halo 2.5 (360)

SDF Score: 2.5/

LOL - I picked it! I knew they would give it a score of 2.5/10 :)

Go SDF!!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Yeah that was one of those things that I always will remember from Halo, Those little enemies their voices XD.

That review was the best stuff since their halo/killzone video, i almost fell off my chair laughing so hard, i wonder how you wii60 fans come up with such great stuff.

@Grand Turismo we're inspired by all the great games we play.