By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kratos.. pulled out a guy's head off.. with his bare hands...

Khuutra said:
Akvod said:
Do we have so few God of War fans here? =( Most of the people here seem to be complaining and don't know what the game and character are like, and how appropriate this all is.

I'm a fan. I played the original on God and the sequel on Titan. I borrowed a friend's PSP solely to play Chains of Olympus, which I thought was a lot of fun.

I've enjoyed the series for its heavily stylized and over-the-top violence for a long time. It's like all the desires of an adolescent male id made real.

But that was still a bit much and I worry that it may be indicative of a larger trend. I mean, Hell, did you see how much the skeleton enemies bled? That's getting kind of ridiculous. And ripping off Helios' head abandoned the kind-of-goofy stylized violence that's been the series trademark and made it something approaching realistic, which made me cringe.

How the hell was the Helios scene realistic? The guy fucking ripped off a man's head with his bare hands. That's not realistic at all. And at the end, when Helios screamed even after his head was ripped off reminded me more than anything, "The Temple of Doom". If the graphics were to the point of the uncanny valley, the sound and scream was incredibly real, and pretty much was snuff/real film quality then yes, I think it's too far. However, I felt like this doesn't reach that point yet. GoW (and on a side note [I know CGI will kill me for this] I don't think Heavy Rain) has quite reached the Uncanny Valley yet. There's a huge difference between what I saw in this footage, and actual footage of real people being killed (please don't ask why I was watching those footage, it's irrelevant). When I saw the GoW footage, I saw a non-real person dying, both in appearance, reality, and mannerism (the way the person was killed), versus feeling my heart sink when I see someone I know had a consciousness, you could actually hear real fear, and see real gore and murder.

Around the Network

Don't mince words with me, you know as well as I do that the operative word in that clause was "approaching", which is to say that it is not an example of realism but it is far more realistic and disturbing than the series norm up to this point.

The act of tearing someone's head off with his hands isn't the crux of the issue, it's the presentation. When Kratos tore off Medusa's head it was violent but it was also heavily stylized, almost comical, so that you could say "cool!" instead of "gross". Taking off Euryale's head had the same thing going for it, even though that was a considerably more brutal scene.

The difference here is that the art direction is leaning toward gore as a stand-in for spectacle, which does not work as well as the series' previous stylization.

Again. "Approaching realistic" does not mean "partaking in realism", it just means "more realistic than the previous norm." Watching the skin on Helios's neck tear so that it revealed the muscle tissue underneath it before his head came off was gross. It wasn't funny, it wasn't cool, it wasn't bad-ass, it was just gross.

Isn`t showing a nipple worse? Just wonder...

Not brutal enough.

Khuutra said:
Don't mince words with me, you know as well as I do that the operative word in that clause was "approaching", which is to say that it is not an example of realism but it is far more realistic and disturbing than the series norm up to this point.

The act of tearing someone's head off with his hands isn't the crux of the issue, it's the presentation. When Kratos tore off Medusa's head it was violent but it was also heavily stylized, almost comical, so that you could say "cool!" instead of "gross". Taking off Euryale's head had the same thing going for it, even though that was a considerably more brutal scene.

The difference here is that the art direction is leaning toward gore as a stand-in for spectacle, which does not work as well as the series' previous stylization.

Again. "Approaching realistic" does not mean "partaking in realism", it just means "more realistic than the previous norm." Watching the skin on Helios's neck tear so that it revealed the muscle tissue underneath it before his head came off was gross. It wasn't funny, it wasn't cool, it wasn't bad-ass, it was just gross.

I don't know if you're arguing if the realism and presentation crossed the line, or if you're still standing by your statement that it's "approaching" the point that it's so real that it's gross.

As for gross, I didn't think it was really gross because it didn't seem real. Skin isn't like Latex. The only gross I felt was more like an conscious acknowledgement in that "Wow, this is really violent", rather than actually feeling sick in my stomach.

It was extremely over the top. Was it funny? Some might think of it. For me I thought "Holy shit, Kratos is REALLY pissed off", and felt less sympathetic for him/pitied for how obsessed he has become with revenge and causing pain. And the brutality only added to this.

As for the scene with Eurayle's head being comical, I would argue that others might think the Helios scene was comical, because of how ridiculous and over the top it was (Helios continuing to scream AFTER he had his head ripped off?). I didn't think it was really comical. Ridiculous, and over the top? Yes. And I can easily see why it would have been comical to others, and would have understood it.

Around the Network

That could quite possibly be the coolest thing I have ever seen in a video game.

lol wow......... that is gross.... i thought the eye thing was bad......day one for me lol

they should put more sex scenes in game imo

Nah...no sex scenes. The rating people don't care about violence, but go into a frenzy with anything sex related (hot coffee proves this...you can kill a hooker and steal her money, but you can't have sex with your girlfriend).