By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL Feb 2007 NPD Thread

auroragb said: If HD-DVD integrated Zephyr were to hit the market soon (May), it will be the first nail in the PS3 coffin. PS3's advantage of being an all in one unit will be wiped out. Tho, realistically, I'm expecting the integration to happen around Sept/Oct in order to drive X-mas sales. .
Zephyr wont have HD-DVD integrated .By the way ,even if it only adds a bigger hard drive and HDMI port it will be more expensive and lose some of its precious price advantage .

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said: auroragb said: If HD-DVD integrated Zephyr were to hit the market soon (May), it will be the first nail in the PS3 coffin. PS3's advantage of being an all in one unit will be wiped out. Tho, realistically, I'm expecting the integration to happen around Sept/Oct in order to drive X-mas sales. . Zephyr wont have HD-DVD integrated .By the way ,even if it only adds a bigger hard drive and HDMI port it will be more expensive and lose some of its precious price advantage .
I think Microsoft will stop producing the Core, get the premium down to Core's Price tag and get the Zephyr to premium's price.

gamingdevil said: Diomedes1976 said: auroragb said: If HD-DVD integrated Zephyr were to hit the market soon (May), it will be the first nail in the PS3 coffin. PS3's advantage of being an all in one unit will be wiped out. Tho, realistically, I'm expecting the integration to happen around Sept/Oct in order to drive X-mas sales. . Zephyr wont have HD-DVD integrated .By the way ,even if it only adds a bigger hard drive and HDMI port it will be more expensive and lose some of its precious price advantage . I think Microsoft will stop producing the Core, get the premium down to Core's Price tag and get the Zephyr to premium's price.
Probably ,so they will lose the opportunity to reduce price .By then the PS3 will have a price cut to 350-450 and the price differences will become very small .....and the PS3 will still have the BR advantage over the HDDVD-less Zephyr .

Diomedes1976 said: gamingdevil said: Diomedes1976 said: auroragb said: If HD-DVD integrated Zephyr were to hit the market soon (May), it will be the first nail in the PS3 coffin. PS3's advantage of being an all in one unit will be wiped out. Tho, realistically, I'm expecting the integration to happen around Sept/Oct in order to drive X-mas sales. . Zephyr wont have HD-DVD integrated .By the way ,even if it only adds a bigger hard drive and HDMI port it will be more expensive and lose some of its precious price advantage . I think Microsoft will stop producing the Core, get the premium down to Core's Price tag and get the Zephyr to premium's price. Probably ,so they will lose the opportunity to reduce price .By then the PS3 will have a price cut to 350-450 and the price differences will become very small .....and the PS3 will still have the BR advantage over the HDDVD-less Zephyr .
i don't think the PS3 will get the 350-450 price tag before mid-2009

Diomedes1976 said: gamingdevil said: Diomedes1976 said: auroragb said: If HD-DVD integrated Zephyr were to hit the market soon (May), it will be the first nail in the PS3 coffin. PS3's advantage of being an all in one unit will be wiped out. Tho, realistically, I'm expecting the integration to happen around Sept/Oct in order to drive X-mas sales. . Zephyr wont have HD-DVD integrated .By the way ,even if it only adds a bigger hard drive and HDMI port it will be more expensive and lose some of its precious price advantage . I think Microsoft will stop producing the Core, get the premium down to Core's Price tag and get the Zephyr to premium's price. Probably ,so they will lose the opportunity to reduce price .By then the PS3 will have a price cut to 350-450 and the price differences will become very small .....and the PS3 will still have the BR advantage over the HDDVD-less Zephyr .
Sony can't cut the price of the PS3 during 2007. Forget about that, if they do it then it's cause they're really desperate. And as much as I'd love the Zephyr to Premium, Premium to Core price tag I don't see MS doing that. Pretty much it's possible for them to have 3 SKUs: Core 300, Premium 400, Zephyr 479.99

Around the Network

Tom_B said: And as much as I'd love the Zephyr to Premium, Premium to Core price tag I don't see MS doing that. Pretty much it's possible for them to have 3 SKUs: Core 300, Premium 400, Zephyr 479.99
If you think that's going to happen, you believe Microsoft is incredibly stupid, which I don't. Here are the facts that we (and Microsoft) know: 1. Console buyers are incredibly price-sensitive. 2. Electronics costs go down over time. 3. Hard drive costs don't go down over time, but capacities go up. Based on those facts, you'd expect several things to happen: 1. The 360, in all its incarnations to get cheaper, as fast as economically feasible for Microsoft. 2. Models with hard drives to get bigger hard drives over time, as the price difference between a 20GB and 60GB (or whatever) drive evaporates. 3. A model without a hard drive to continue to exist, so that Microsoft can hit the lucrative $99/$129 sorts of price points eventually. (Microsoft's already taken the pain hit for having a non-mandatory hard drive so that they can get this payoff years from now; to suggest that they'd discontinue the Core after taking the hit but without getting the payoff is crazy.) So I'd fully expect to see "Zephyr", by which I mean a 360 with a bigger hard drive and maybe HDMI, for $299 or $349, with a Core for $199/$249 in the short term.

Both PS1 and PS2 reduced price between 6 months and one year after release .Sony has already cut some costs removing the EE and with the 65Nm Cell ,plus the better fabrication costs due to more success in the replication of consoles and components .I dont see impossible a price cut for september or october .If they see things in a bad light they will do it ,its always preferable to take a hit in each console that finally not selling them and taking all the cost as a hit ...plus each console sold start to attract royalties per game sold and per BR film sold ...

Diomedes1976 said: Both PS1 and PS2 reduced price between 6 months and one year after release .Sony has already cut some costs removing the EE and with the 65Nm Cell ,plus the better fabrication costs due to more success in the replication of consoles and components .I dont see impossible a price cut for september or october .If they see things in a bad light they will do it ,its always preferable to take a hit in each console that finally not selling them and taking all the cost as a hit ...plus each console sold start to attract royalties per game sold and per BR film sold ...
Actually the first price drop for the PS2 (in North America) was announced at E3 2002, approximately 18 months after the PS2 launched.

WII 18,687 SSX BLUR 360 18,428 VIVA PINATA NDS 33,487 COOKING MAMA

how long is that for bunkum?