By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL Feb 2007 NPD Thread

Diomedes1976 said: Well february didnt see too much PS3 games until the end when F1 and Virtua Fighter 5 arrived .I think the march data should definitely improve the sales something ...games as NBA Homecourt ,Motorstorm ,Oblivion ,Armored Core 4 ,NBA College Hoops ,Flow ,Tekken Dark Ressurrection ,Dej Jam Icon ,Splinter Cell DA ....all come out in march .In any case actually outselling the other plattforms in unnecesary for the PS3 ,what it has to do is to create some ground for itself ,attract enough hardcore gamers to make it a viable plattform ,sell a lot of software (and without piratery this will be easier ) .....the masses will follow later when its price drops and the more casual games (Singstar ,Little Big Planet ,Eye of Judgement ) arrive .
I see the point with Motorstorm and in a lesser extent with VF5, but the rest are multiplatform so I tend to believe that software is not gonna help the customer to pick a PS3 instead of the competition. I guess then march should be a really important month to PS3 with Motorstorm. Sony needs to catch up, cause MS has a lot of important games all distributed around this 2007. I can't see right now when PS3 is supposed to overcome the 360 in NA. At least this year. I'm not seeing it closing the gap either this year. 2008 who knows but this year...

Around the Network

Tom_B said: Diomedes1976 said: Well february didnt see too much PS3 games until the end when F1 and Virtua Fighter 5 arrived .I think the march data should definitely improve the sales something ...games as NBA Homecourt ,Motorstorm ,Oblivion ,Armored Core 4 ,NBA College Hoops ,Flow ,Tekken Dark Ressurrection ,Dej Jam Icon ,Splinter Cell DA ....all come out in march .In any case actually outselling the other plattforms in unnecesary for the PS3 ,what it has to do is to create some ground for itself ,attract enough hardcore gamers to make it a viable plattform ,sell a lot of software (and without piratery this will be easier ) .....the masses will follow later when its price drops and the more casual games (Singstar ,Little Big Planet ,Eye of Judgement ) arrive . I see the point with Motorstorm and in a lesser extent with VF5, but the rest are multiplatform so I tend to believe that software is not gonna help the customer to pick a PS3 instead of the competition. I guess then march should be a really important month to PS3 with Motorstorm. Sony needs to catch up, cause MS has a lot of important games all distributed around this 2007. I can't see right now when PS3 is supposed to overcome the 360 in NA. At least this year. I'm not seeing it closing the gap either this year. 2008 who knows but this year...
Well for a dominant console the userbase number should arrive at 30-35 million .X360 has managed 5 million .For the 30 million people that have to choose a next generation gaming plattform right now having a lot of games is important ,even if they arent exclusive .To see a lot of games coming (and of hight quality as they are the best of the best of the X360 catalogue last year minus the Microsoft games (and capcom exclusives ) ) increases the confidence of the user toward a machine .Playstation has naturally been the plattform to play everything except the Nintendo and Microsoft games and seeing all the third party games arriving to the PS3 restores that feeling on the users .Besides ,the word of mouth counts ...if you are going to rent a game and there are 50 games out is always better that if you go and there are 5 ....even if those 5 are exclusive and 47 out of the 50 are multiplattform .PS3 has managed in just 4 months some games as Fight Night 3 ,Resistence ,Motorstorm ,Virtua Fighter 5 ,NBA Homecourt ,Splinter Cell DA ,Oblivion ,FEAR ,NBA College Hoops ,NBA 2k ,Call of Duty 3 ,Marvel Ultimate Alliance and many others the X360 struggled all a year to obtain .The software drought for the X360 last year was way worse that the PS3 situation right now .

Diomedes1976 said: Tom_B said: Diomedes1976 said: Well for a dominant console the userbase number should arrive at 30-35 million .X360 has managed 5 million .For the 30 million people that have to choose a next generation gaming plattform right now having a lot of games is important ,even if they arent exclusive .To see a lot of games coming (and of hight quality as they are the best of the best of the X360 catalogue last year minus the Microsoft games (and capcom exclusives ) ) increases the confidence of the user toward a machine .Playstation has naturally been the plattform to play everything except the Nintendo and Microsoft games and seeing all the third party games arriving to the PS3 restores that feeling on the users .Besides ,the word of mouth counts ...if you are going to rent a game and there are 50 games out is always better that if you go and there are 5 ....even if those 5 are exclusive and 47 out of the 50 are multiplattform .PS3 has managed in just 4 months some games as Fight Night 3 ,Resistence ,Motorstorm ,Virtua Fighter 5 ,NBA Homecourt ,Splinter Cell DA ,Oblivion ,FEAR ,NBA College Hoops ,NBA 2k ,Call of Duty 3 ,Marvel Ultimate Alliance and many others the X360 struggled all a year to obtain .The software drought for the X360 last year was way worse that the PS3 situation right now .
I'm seing right now the charts comparing the launches: X360 Nov 05 357,250 357,250 X360 Dec 05 303,500 660,750 X360 Jan 06 269,000 929,750 X360 Feb 06 187,250 1,117,000 PS3 Nov 06 222,250 222,250 PS3 Dec 06 537,750 760,000 PS3 Jan 07 275,500 1,035,500 If you forget about december and the problems MS had the numbers are oddly very similar. You have to count a % of growth for the industry. And strangely enough if we follow the predictions february is going to be probably in a 190k range for the PS3. But then again we have to count that to close the gap the other has to do it worse than you, and MS is already stablished (we can discuss if they needed more time than Sony with the PS3, but the PS3 already is experiencing its birth within a next generation on its peak). That is irrelevant, at the end what matters is if you can sell more than your competitor. MS had the guts to deliver one year prior to Sony so they have that advantage. I'm looking through future realease dates on IGN and I'm not seeing games on PS3 that are going to drive sales over the 360 (I can't see multiplatform as a fact in favor of PS3, the contrary even. The 360 is less expensive). And in March the 360 has C&C, then goes Forza2, then Bioshock, Blue Dragon (a sure bet), Mass Effect, Too Human, Halo 3, Lost Oddysey... it seems as if MS had taken advantage of that 1 year and planned all his releases in 2007 to weaken the PS3 sales in. And they even force games to be delayed till 2008 like Alan Wake or Halo Wars. NA seems MS territory for me.

Around what time should the numbers be coming out???

Released: within an hour Obtained through leaks: within three hours

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Tom_B said: I'm seing right now the charts comparing the launches: X360 Nov 05 357,250 357,250 X360 Dec 05 303,500 660,750 X360 Jan 06 269,000 929,750 X360 Feb 06 187,250 1,117,000 PS3 Nov 06 222,250 222,250 PS3 Dec 06 537,750 760,000 PS3 Jan 07 275,500 1,035,500 If you forget about december and the problems MS had the numbers are oddly very similar. You have to count a % of growth for the industry. And strangely enough if we follow the predictions february is going to be probably in a 190k range for the PS3. But then again we have to count that to close the gap the other has to do it worse than you, and MS is already stablished (we can discuss if they needed more time than Sony with the PS3, but the PS3 already is experiencing its birth within a next generation on its peak). That is irrelevant, at the end what matters is if you can sell more than your competitor. MS had the guts to deliver one year prior to Sony so they have that advantage. I'm looking through future realease dates on IGN and I'm not seeing games on PS3 that are going to drive sales over the 360 (I can't see multiplatform as a fact in favor of PS3, the contrary even. The 360 is less expensive). And in March the 360 has C&C, then goes Forza2, then Bioshock, Blue Dragon (a sure bet), Mass Effect, Too Human, Halo 3, Lost Oddysey... it seems as if MS had taken advantage of that 1 year and planned all his releases in 2007 to weaken the PS3 sales in. And they even force games to be delayed till 2008 like Alan Wake or Halo Wars. NA seems MS territory for me.
Forza2 is scheduled for May, Bioshock says "Spring 2007" Blue Dragon is in August, Mass Effect is not coming out in May. These games are being pushed back a lot. I don't see many system sellers for PS3, Motorstorm should sell systems in March. But they do have good titles coming out in Oblivion, F.E.A.R., Armored Core 4, Enchanted Arms, MLB the Show 2007, Spiderman 3, Singstar, Ninja Guidan Sigma, Hot Shots Golf, Stuntman, Coded Arms Assualt, MGS4, DMC4, Killzone, Winning Eleven, Guitar Hero PS3, Heavenly Sword, White Knight Story, Lair, GT5, FFXIII, FFXIII VS. I see plenty of good titles and some good exclusives.

Stromprophet said: Tom_B said: I'm seing right now the charts comparing the launches: X360 Nov 05 357,250 357,250 X360 Dec 05 303,500 660,750 X360 Jan 06 269,000 929,750 X360 Feb 06 187,250 1,117,000 PS3 Nov 06 222,250 222,250 PS3 Dec 06 537,750 760,000 PS3 Jan 07 275,500 1,035,500 If you forget about december and the problems MS had the numbers are oddly very similar. You have to count a % of growth for the industry. And strangely enough if we follow the predictions february is going to be probably in a 190k range for the PS3. But then again we have to count that to close the gap the other has to do it worse than you, and MS is already stablished (we can discuss if they needed more time than Sony with the PS3, but the PS3 already is experiencing its birth within a next generation on its peak). That is irrelevant, at the end what matters is if you can sell more than your competitor. MS had the guts to deliver one year prior to Sony so they have that advantage. I'm looking through future realease dates on IGN and I'm not seeing games on PS3 that are going to drive sales over the 360 (I can't see multiplatform as a fact in favor of PS3, the contrary even. The 360 is less expensive). And in March the 360 has C&C, then goes Forza2, then Bioshock, Blue Dragon (a sure bet), Mass Effect, Too Human, Halo 3, Lost Oddysey... it seems as if MS had taken advantage of that 1 year and planned all his releases in 2007 to weaken the PS3 sales in. And they even force games to be delayed till 2008 like Alan Wake or Halo Wars. NA seems MS territory for me. Forza2 is scheduled for May, Bioshock says "Spring 2007" Blue Dragon is in August, Mass Effect is not coming out in May. These games are being pushed back a lot. I don't see many system sellers for PS3, Motorstorm should sell systems in March. But they do have good titles coming out in Oblivion, F.E.A.R., Armored Core 4, Enchanted Arms, MLB the Show 2007, Spiderman 3, Singstar, Ninja Guidan Sigma, Hot Shots Golf, Stuntman, Coded Arms Assualt, MGS4, DMC4, Killzone, Winning Eleven, Guitar Hero PS3, Heavenly Sword, White Knight Story, Lair, GT5, FFXIII, FFXIII VS. I see plenty of good titles and some good exclusives.
If you ignore the multiplatform games of that list and the games that are going to release in 2008... that pretty much changes the equation. I can't see the PS3 closing the gap within this year, I see the 360 opening the gap in NA and the more momentum they gain the more difficult it's going to be for Sony to catch up. Add to that strategy a possible price cut on the right moment and you have a very powerful system... And by the way, I forgot about Project Gotham 4 or Shadowrun, two more 1st party titles for this year.

Does anybody want some numbers?

bunkum said: Does anybody want some numbers?

There are some Canadian results mentioned in this story: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=8084f304-b875-4a95-9dd6-2cf72a757b50&k=82030 No real details tho: Nintendo dominates, Sony fell off the face of the earth, MS does OK.