By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL Feb 2007 NPD Thread

CrazzyMan said: except xbox360 had 3 titles which firstly were developed for xbox, but then canceled and mooved to xbox360: Kameo PDZ PGR3 then also release of DoA4 + condemned(half year exclusive). PS3 now has only Resistance and Virtua Fighter5, which was released in the end of month. In march you get MotorStorm + eurolunch games. So almost without games ps3 is doing better, and now after Home & LTB will do even better, just wait for March Sales.
Flawless.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Bunkum, top 10 per console? Please.

just go to e-bay and try to sell new PS3 60GB for 400$. In description write: "just bought for 600$, and want to see how fast it will be sold on e-bay for 400$". In other words, price differs! 400$ vs 600$ (even though you also get FULL HD player, not only console). Make price for ps3 400$ or atleast 500$ and you won`t find it till summer.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said: Make price for ps3 400$ or atleast 500$ and you won`t find it till summer.
Sadly that won't happen (a price drop) for a decent amount of time. How pissed would Europe be if they paid full price at launch and then sony drops the price in under 5 months! Price matters. When you make a video game console a mortgage payment on a house then your crazy.

TalonMan said: There's a few problems with that: 1) Sony is bleeding money on the PS3 already - any further cuts will only hurt them more. 2) By reducing to $400 or $500, they will still have the most expensive console on the market 3) If/When the price is reduced by that much, expect MS and Nintendo to do the same (and THEY can afford to, while Sony can't) - at which point, the price difference will STILL be glaring as you'll probably see: a) Wii - $199 b) 360 - $249 c) PS3 - $499 In short - Sony is in big doo-doo...
The question at this point in time is whether Sony values their bottom line or their market share more ... They may not be able to afford a price cut, but they will bleed marketshare until the PS3 recieves a price cut

Around the Network

of`course they won`t drope price. my point - sales are lower, cause: 1) bigger price. 2) only few really good games. when more good games will be released, price will not matter. Sony doing pretty good with Big price and few games, and now, after GDC will do better. Wait for march, and you will see.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Price will always matter... You sound like a sony higher up who says stuff like "well when you take into consideration all the stuff you get with this machine you will see that you are practically stealing from sony to be able to pay $600 for it!". I agree with you that sony will do better in march (it can't do worse ).

the ps3 was actually supply constrained for over a week in february, i kid you not. some of you may remember that i created a thread in february based off of itrackr.com in which i was wondering why PS3 supply dipped to below 30% national availibility. Supply held at this level for about 10 days until a major shipment came in and raised availibility to where it is now. So for about half the month the PS3 wasn't actually available at most retailers (remember that the NPD lumped the first week of february into the January figures). You also couldn't find it at most websites including the biggies like wal-mart, amazon, bestbuy, buy.com, etc. PS3s have only become truly ubiquitous since March. PS: For those who don't know what itrackr is, it is a website that tracks inventories of local stores for popular items such as PS3, Wii, DS, Tickle-Me-Elmo, Zune. They don't track some major retailers like Bestbuy or Walmart, but they do track Gamestop, Circuitcity, and Target, which would probably have similar levels of availibility as the stores that aren't tracked. Certainly this doesn't account for the 70,000 additional units analysts expected were going to be sold, but it definitely makes a difference. Let's wait a little longer to pronounce a time of death.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

What would the PS3 have to do in March for people to think it will do well this generation?

I said 300,000 2 weeks ago, I say 300,000 still. USA march!

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!