By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Penny Arcade on Microsoft Conference

"Peter Molyneux has no credit with me - he must always pay in advance, cash only. I am completely impervious to him, so when he says that he's invented some kind of digital boy this firm assertion is refracted into harmless light. Illusions of the kind he proposes are tremendously fragile - it's hard enough to maintain them in raw text, without the idiosyncrasies of the nested recognition systems in play with Milo.  Please understand: I love the future, and I long to live there.  I want very much to simulate a cognizant digital imp.  But this man has broken my heart so many times that it can no longer contain love.

In general, the freaky-deaky augmented video mechanisms presented by Microsoft and Sony are inert for us - that is to say, we have no reaction to them whatsoever. Absent anything beyond minigames and puppet shows, I don't know how to contextualize this technology. I can't be certain that it has ramifications of any kind for the games I like to play, the ones my friends like to play, or for the games that built this industry."

You know, for context :)

I would agree, I think the Wii has to win for innovation until someone else actually does something.  And even then, kind of hard to deny that the Wii started it all.

Around the Network
Alic0004 said:

In general, the freaky-deaky augmented video mechanisms presented by Microsoft and Sony are inert for us - that is to say, we have no reaction to them whatsoever. Absent anything beyond minigames and puppet shows, I don't know how to contextualize this technology. I can't be certain that it has ramifications of any kind for the games I like to play, the ones my friends like to play, or for the games that built this industry."

This paragraph sums things so good. 360 and PS3 fans are so naive to think that Microsoft and Sony have any plans with their motions controls different than Nintendo had with Wii Fit. They are just as naive as Wii fans when they though that the balance board will be used for much except fitness and party games.

Both Microsoft and Sony didn't launched their motion controls as a response to WM+, but as a response to Wii Fit + balance board. That's the market they aim at: the milions of moms that buys Wii for fitness.

The type of gamers and games you saw in their demonstrations is exactly what you'll get in the end: fitness + mini games.

FaithRaven said:
Alic0004 said:

This paragraph sums things so good. 360 and PS3 fans are so naive to think that Microsoft and Sony have any plans with their motions controls different than Nintendo had with Wii Fit. They are just as naive as Wii fans when they though that the balance board will be used for much except fitness and party games.

Both Microsoft and Sony didn't launched their motion controls as a response to WM+, but as a response to Wii Fit + balance board. That's the market they aim at: the milions of moms that buys Wii for fitness.

The type of gamers and games you saw in their demonstrations is exactly what you'll get in the end: fitness + mini games.

yeah ! that's why sony said they planned both and showed us a fps and a rts tech demo.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
FaithRaven said:
Alic0004 said:

yeah ! that's why sony said they planned both and showed us a fps and a rts tech demo.

The FPS was more like a rail shooter with limited movement and the RTS looked like a 3D-HD version of Tanks from Wii Play (edit: not controlled, looked like)...

I for one love casual type games (when they are good), so I am looking forward to Time Crisis PSEye and Sony's take on Minigames.

Plus, I think we will see Rabbids on other consoles if these games come out...  Seriously, if you haven't played much Rabbids than you are missing out and should welcome the new cameras from Sony and MS.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
Staude said:
FaithRaven said:
Alic0004 said:

The FPS was more like a rail shooter with limited movement and the RTS looked like a 3D-HD version of Tanks from Wii Play (edit: not controlled, looked like)...

I for one love casual type games (when they are good), so I am looking forward to Time Crisis PSEye and Sony's take on Minigames.

Plus, I think we will see Rabbids on other consoles if these games come out...  Seriously, if you haven't played much Rabbids than you are missing out and should welcome the new cameras from Sony and MS.

they were tech demos.

He went fps in the tanks and had multiple unit selections. With this you could port for instance... a cnc game directly from the pc and just use the wand as the mouse/keyboard. (too many shortcuts aren't needed anyways)

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

If company's don't want me to judge them by their tech demos, then they shouldn't release tech demos to the public...

I've been way harder on the Nintendo Heart Rate Monitor/Mood Ring than anything Sony or MS did.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I kinda of feel bad for HD only owners getting these tech knowing that they are nothing but pure whore shit, you don't even need to defend these new motion controls because you know there won't be real support for them, you will still use your dual analog the most no matter what whereas the Wii is centered around the Wiimote about 99% of the time.

dahuman said:
I kinda of feel bad for HD only owners getting these tech knowing that they are nothing but pure whore shit, you don't even need to defend these new motion controls because you know there won't be real support for them, you will still use your dual analog the most no matter what whereas the Wii is centered around the Wiimote about 99% of the time.

Harsh, but I second that.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

dahuman said:
whore shit

dahuman said:

"Pure whore shit".... coming from the guy that supports the mini-game shovelware console of this generation.  Nice work.

Stop getting so excited about a Kid Icarus remake... the original NES Icarus sucked.