By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My new gaming setup

@ Squilly - man, I checked several reviews and Vizio rocks. It offers the same features as high-end TVs for a fraction of the price. I was actually going for a Sanyo 42" 1080P unit, but when I saw the Vizio LCD with the 120hz refresh, I took the plunge. It's an awesome, awesome choice.

The other thing is - I frequented Wal-Marts and Best Buys for a few years looking at the HDTVs. I studied them and the differences (they have all of them running content 24-7) and then did some online research. Since I pay cash for items, I had to make this count. And I am very pleased with my purchase.

@ Liquid - you know, my first brush with 120hz on an LCD was a Best Buy demo with Transformers on HD-DVD. I felt like I was on the set, in the middle of the action. Next time, I saw Ratatioulle on Blu Ray. The characters were popping off the screen. According to my research, the TV adds an additional frame, giving a soap opera effect. If you have seen daytime soap operas, or the view, you know what I am talking about. It looks like it's live and not taped. Some people hate it - I love it. The movements are exaggerated at times, but it's fluid and looks great. The best way to see the difference is to ask a tech person at Best Buy to run the 120hz on-and-off demo. I think most TVs with 120hz has them. It will show the same scene and one side will have it enabled, the other will have it disabled. You can definitely see the difference.

I watched several movies with the 120hz enabled. The one I enjoyed the most? The Empire Strikes Back. It was in 720P, but still - the movements, the visuals. It was awesome.

Around the Network

you got an awesome stuff there but I think you need a bit more breathing room for your Xbox 360...

nordlead said:
aren't you blocking the intake vents on your PS3 with it being up against the right wall?

Didn't realize that. I keep the doors open whenever I play a movie, game. I was checking for heat. How where do you rec'md I put the PS3?

I updated my post above with more comments, but of course I really should have just posted again

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Yeah, I gotta say I would be concerned for your PS3 overheating, and being much louder. The best thing to do would be to put it on its side and have a rack in the other half of that cabinet, but then it would look off

Anyway, I really like it, I like that clean look, I wish my set up was as neat as that

Around the Network
madskillz said:
nordlead said:
aren't you blocking the intake vents on your PS3 with it being up against the right wall?

Didn't realize that. I keep the doors open whenever I play a movie, game. I was checking for heat. How where do you rec'md I put the PS3?

On your setup I would feel safest with my PS3/X360 on top with the TV. However, if you want the PS3 in the cabinet, just move it as far left as possible. The intake is on the right, and the exaust is in the back.

Personally I think that was a poor design choice, due to in standing position you are now sucking air down, while hot air wants to go up. So you are sucking in air from the direction where are the case transfer heat is heading.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

Sweet setup man, I love to see others setups for gaming and movies and such. The Vizio is a great TV, for the money they are a steal, and they are good quality as well, I beleive they buy their LCD screens from Samsung. 120hz is a dream to watch, its like you said, its like being on the set watching the movie.

If I were you I would stand up the PS3, it will vent better that way for you. Then you can stack the games next to the PS3

I heard that Vizio was growing rapidly, but I had no idea what they were about. Is it true they are an American company? If so good job because as far as I can see there aren't many American consumer electronics companies which survived Japanese and later Korean and Chinese production.

It seems like you're all set for Natal!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
I heard that Vizio was growing rapidly, but I had no idea what they were about. Is it true they are an American company? If so good job because as far as I can see there aren't many American consumer electronics companies which survived Japanese and later Korean and Chinese production.

It seems like you're all set for Natal!

They are based in California, but like Japanese electronics companies I'm sure they export some of their work to China.

nordlead said:

edit in more thoughts.

I really like the tv stand/cabnit you have as I think it looks really nice. As for the Vizio good choice for American TVs I have a 3 year old 32" vizio and the only thing I don't like about it is the HDTV tuner broke so now I have to have an external tuner. I want to get either a 50" tv when I buy a house, or get a projector but I haven't made up my mind. I also don't know if I want to stay with Vizio or move on to a higher end product, but I don't know if the extra $ is worth the extra picture quality. In fact, I don't know how much Vizio has improved over 3 years either.

I just recently updated my setup so I'll hijack in here too http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=74273

Nice setup - very nice setup, btw. My wife is not a fan of the big speakers, so I have to wait until we buy another house. Isn't there a thread where we can post our setups? I know you can't see my wall of games in there, but still trying to figure out where they are going.