By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray always for PS3

I was looking over some old PSM mags last night and noticed an article about Blu-ray in 2002, and it talked about HDTV funtions and how it would be used for the PS3.  This was before the PS3 was even showed anywhere and before it was made.  This pretty much shows that it was always meant to be used with the PS3, and this would show that it was made before HD-DVD and that Blu-ray was always meant to be the next format and HD-DVD was forced at the consumers.

Around the Network
GranTurismo said:
I was looking over some old PSM mags last night and noticed an article about Blu-ray in 2002, and it talked about HDTV funtions and how it would be used for the PS3. This was before the PS3 was even showed anywhere and before it was made. This pretty much shows that it was always meant to be used with the PS3, and this would show that it was made before HD-DVD and that Blu-ray was always meant to be the next format and HD-DVD was forced at the consumers.

its common knowledge that Blu-ray has been in development for ages. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Of course it makes 100% sense for a high definition console, the PS3 has many times the memory and processing power of the PS2, surely additional storage always made sense and had to be part of the plan.

Good find GranTurismo! There's so much misinformation and propaganda floating around, it will take a lot of effort to get the contrary out of people's minds (like Blu-Ray is only implemented to push the Blu-Ray movie format).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
Of course it makes 100% sense for a high definition console, the PS3 has many times the memory and processing power of the PS2, surely additional storage always made sense and had to be part of the plan.

Good find GranTurismo! There's so much misinformation and propaganda floating around, it will take a lot of effort to get the contrary out of people's minds (like Blu-Ray is only implemented to push the Blu-Ray movie format).

Yeah, but so what?  That's the story of progress and business.

so because blu-ray was in development first then that means HD-DVD is being forced on consumers? blu-ray is not "meant to be the next format," it has to earn it. I would argue that blu-ray is being forced on consumers with the PS3, as would many other people. It's not the worst thing in the world, but knowing they could have released the PS3 $200 cheaper might piss some people off.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

How is this news?

It doesn't matter which HD format is developed first, neither is really taking off...I thought it was common knowledge that HD-DVD was made after-the-fact by competing companies who wanted to get their format out early enough. It doesn't make Blu-Ray or HD-DVD any better...especially since neither are really selling that great anyway.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@ johnsobas

but knowing they could have released the PS3 $200 cheaper might piss some people off

IMO, it would rather have been a PS2.5. The lack of a Blu-Ray drive would result in game developers making sacrifices for the long run (be that with regard to sound, visuals, extras like localization and/or game length).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Blu-ray was always planned for PS3 and to be the next format after DVD as HD came in Movies and Games needed more space and this is why it was put in the PS3, Sony probably knew the price was going to be $600 at launch all along but didnt announce it until hype gathered and that is clever PR except it didnt quite work as they planned but it was still a nice plan. I remember reading the issue of PlayStation Magazine back in 05 when the PS3 was officially announced and had the boomerang controller it said on the front it would have Blu-ray in it i didnt take much notice at the time because i didnt really know what it was but i knew i was definately getting one so i was a fan of the PS3 at the announcement and always have been, Sony just made a few mistakes and they are fixing them now and i think Ken was good for SCE but Kaz is better.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Are you certain that the Blu-ray design specification was established before the HD-DVD standard? There are news snippets about HD-DVD from 2002 and I'm certain there was work on it well before any sort of public announcements...

That said, blue laser technology was around well before "Blu-Ray" was established as a standard. At some point it was just someone's casual observation that Blue Lasers, with their narrower wavelength, would be used in video players in the future.

AOD was the standard before Blu Ray and HD-DVD split and went their separate ways. Who is to say that both Blu and HD aren't both at fault for not working together on one standard?

Avoid revisionist history. Do a little research before you post...

As always, I stand to be corrected, so feel free to step in, but I have been reading about blue laser technology LONG before there even was a name called Blu Ray... Or HD DVD... 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
AOD was the standard before Blu Ray and HD-DVD split and went their separate ways. Who is to say that both Blu and HD aren't both at fault for not working together on one standard?

Toshiba would not share royalties thus pointless hddvd was born.