By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So this new motion controller....thoughts?

WereKitten said:
On the plus side against the Nintendo offering, this hardware setup will be cheaper if you want to buy multiple controllers. Each Wiimote has its own camera and accelerometers. Each WM+ has its own gyroscopes (that must also be recalibrated every minute or so).

Here you buy one camera (that you can also use for other stuff) and 4 wands and you'll certainly be spending less than with 3 extra Wiimotes and 4 WM+.

As for those lamenting that you can't move your characters, what exactly holds a game developer from using a DS3 in the left hand (left analog+ sixaxis) and a wand in the right hand setup? The same holds for MS's wand-less tecnology, of course.

Only the fact that it is probably the most awkward setup conceived by mankind?

@ dharh

Both of the controllers have 1:1 motions, so both have an equal footing when it comes to accurate motions. The fact that the body can add additional motions to the game does not address the fact that you still in a stationary position. So I guess we can expect to have at least on-rail shooters for this system like the Wii =P.

And when I say that MS and Sony are separating the two camps, I mean that they are providing two separate mediums for the two separate camps to play in. One setup is for the traditional gamers with the traditional controls, while the controle setup is for the newcomers. It may seem nice at first, but if it is separated, it will sell less...

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
On the plus side against the Nintendo offering, this hardware setup will be cheaper if you want to buy multiple controllers. Each Wiimote has its own camera and accelerometers. Each WM+ has its own gyroscopes (that must also be recalibrated every minute or so).

Here you buy one camera (that you can also use for other stuff) and 4 wands and you'll certainly be spending less than with 3 extra Wiimotes and 4 WM+.

As for those lamenting that you can't move your characters, what exactly holds a game developer from using a DS3 in the left hand (left analog+ sixaxis) and a wand in the right hand setup? The same holds for MS's wand-less tecnology, of course.

Was I the only one noticed about the Sony motion controller that the guy used two of them to show the bow and arrow/sword and shield demostration? I'm not sure if it means some games would require two of them in order to offer complete experience.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Staude said:
pakidan101 said:
It all honesty, it looked a little bit better than Natal when compared to the gaming front but fails in comparison to the technology front.

In essence, it is WM+ > PS motion controls > Natal in gaming relevance and here is why. Natal is the brand new tech and it is becoming the darling of the media blogs, but for all the wrong reason. As always, humanity seeks to dethrone leaders and heroes very quickly and everybody has jumped on the bandwagon in saying this will officially dethrone the Wii, but they don't understand the actual technology.

As much as I love new technology, Project Natal - when it comes to gaming - is no more than a glorified advanced Eye Toy. Whereas the Eye Toy on its own registers the upper body, this will register the whole body. As cool as that sounds, though, the fact that there are no buttons at all limits the possibilities of most traditional games. I can see an RTS being possible, but other than that no other types of games other than mini games are possible. The same thing could be said about the PS motion controllers. Though they have a Wii-mote look-a-like, the fact that there were no buttons and no analog stick limits the possibilities of more traditional games.

And that is what is separating MS and Sony's attempts for motion controls when comparing to Nintendo. MS and Sony are trying to SEPARATE the "casuals" and the "hardcore" gaming types. That is why the these motion controls seem laughable in the eyes of some Wii owners. The reason why Nintendo is successful is that not only do they make games that are accessible to casuals but to the more traditional gamers as well. The controller input tries to tie in everyone together, and not just separate the two groups from each other into ridiculous categories and ways of gaming.

MS and Sony are just copying without actually realizing why Nintendo is making things work...

The sony one had buttons. How do you think he switched to fps view. They even said "sometimes you just need buttons" to poke fun at microsoft.

Sony started the mainstream move of motion controls. And now they're going to advance it to the next level.

Frankly the fact that they let their engineers on stage to talk about it instead of some pr person is really awesome. Unlike nintendo who hides those guys behind the doors sony actually brings forth the people working on this thing.

So now we are complaining about how Nintendo is mean and doesn't let the engineers showcase the products? Is that where we shall now differentiate the video game companies? Do you see how redundant that argument is?

In addition, yes the Sony controllers have buttons....but you still can't move from where you are standing...unless that is set for the future, it is just another version of the PS Eyetoy but with a wand.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Just to let everyone know though, I think it is great that Microsoft and Sony are now joining into the motion controls stage...it seems that everybody can agree that motion controls are the future, even if they are a little bit late.

I just wished it was a little bit more....fleshed out...but at least they have released prototypes to let everyone know what kind of future we will see.

Explanation of sig:

pakidan101 said:
WereKitten said:

Only the fact that it is probably the most awkward setup conceived by mankind?

@ dharh

Both of the controllers have 1:1 motions, so both have an equal footing when it comes to accurate motions. The fact that the body can add additional motions to the game does not address the fact that you still in a stationary position. So I guess we can expect to have at least on-rail shooters for this system like the Wii =P.

And when I say that MS and Sony are separating the two camps, I mean that they are providing two separate mediums for the two separate camps to play in. One setup is for the traditional gamers with the traditional controls, while the controle setup is for the newcomers. It may seem nice at first, but if it is separated, it will sell less...

We will see what the final solution looks like.  I think they will have an analog stick somewhere, whether its part of a second controller like the nunchuck or that each SONY mote has a stick on it allowing you to use two controllers, one as a wand controller and the other as movement.

Again i dont think its each companies fault.  There is no bridging the mediums yet.  I am a traditional gamer and Nintendo can only get me to play their games by draging me kicking and screaming.  I only play their mario and metroid games because I am emotionaly invested in the franchise.  I would much rather play those games using even their god aweful gamecube controller.  

The only real solution is to give developers and gamers as many choices as possible.  When the next gen comes out each company is going to come out with both a traditional controller and motion control capabilities. The developers or the gamers are then going to be able to choose what works best with each game.  Limiting that choice like Nintendo does because they wanted to do something new and dumped the traditional controller altogether or like SONY and MS do by not adopting motion control early on has limited this gen so much and split the type of gamers along hard lines.  Some like me are probably never going to like playing motion control games in anything but a very limited way, as basically an after thought to traditonal controller type game.  That's just how it is, not the fault of the console makers.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

but it looks way more precise than the ms one

I was like “wow they will revolutionize gaming world!” this is soo cool, like just wow!

The most amazing thing is that it glows in to different colors depending on the type of magic you use in the game :O

nothing less expected from Sony after all “we lead not fallow”

lol

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

way less precise than natal

Repent or be destroyed

^^ lol

pakidan101 said:
Staude said:
pakidan101 said:
It all honesty, it looked a little bit better than Natal when compared to the gaming front but fails in comparison to the technology front.

In essence, it is WM+ > PS motion controls > Natal in gaming relevance and here is why. Natal is the brand new tech and it is becoming the darling of the media blogs, but for all the wrong reason. As always, humanity seeks to dethrone leaders and heroes very quickly and everybody has jumped on the bandwagon in saying this will officially dethrone the Wii, but they don't understand the actual technology.

As much as I love new technology, Project Natal - when it comes to gaming - is no more than a glorified advanced Eye Toy. Whereas the Eye Toy on its own registers the upper body, this will register the whole body. As cool as that sounds, though, the fact that there are no buttons at all limits the possibilities of most traditional games. I can see an RTS being possible, but other than that no other types of games other than mini games are possible. The same thing could be said about the PS motion controllers. Though they have a Wii-mote look-a-like, the fact that there were no buttons and no analog stick limits the possibilities of more traditional games.

And that is what is separating MS and Sony's attempts for motion controls when comparing to Nintendo. MS and Sony are trying to SEPARATE the "casuals" and the "hardcore" gaming types. That is why the these motion controls seem laughable in the eyes of some Wii owners. The reason why Nintendo is successful is that not only do they make games that are accessible to casuals but to the more traditional gamers as well. The controller input tries to tie in everyone together, and not just separate the two groups from each other into ridiculous categories and ways of gaming.

MS and Sony are just copying without actually realizing why Nintendo is making things work...

The sony one had buttons. How do you think he switched to fps view. They even said "sometimes you just need buttons" to poke fun at microsoft.

Sony started the mainstream move of motion controls. And now they're going to advance it to the next level.

Frankly the fact that they let their engineers on stage to talk about it instead of some pr person is really awesome. Unlike nintendo who hides those guys behind the doors sony actually brings forth the people working on this thing.

So now we are complaining about how Nintendo is mean and doesn't let the engineers showcase the products? Is that where we shall now differentiate the video game companies? Do you see how redundant that argument is?

In addition, yes the Sony controllers have buttons....but you still can't move from where you are standing...unless that is set for the future, it is just another version of the PS Eyetoy but with a wand.

not only do they only a analogue to move around, he actually did move around in the room.. and the guy moved around on the screen... and at the same angles aswell. Full 3d movement :p

I think it's a lot better executed than the 360s motion.

Check out my game about moles ^