By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So this new motion controller....thoughts?

My opinion is that what the Wii has works for this gen. it's simple smooth and applicable. The videos MS showed for theirs were impressive, but the onstage demos showed many a limitation. the sony onstage demo in some ways looked more realistic and applicable than MS's controller, but nowhere near the practicality of the wiimote. Both MS and Sony shgould focus on what they do best, and this stuff isn't it. At least not this gen.

Around the Network

On the plus side against the Nintendo offering, this hardware setup will be cheaper if you want to buy multiple controllers. Each Wiimote has its own camera and accelerometers. Each WM+ has its own gyroscopes (that must also be recalibrated every minute or so).

Here you buy one camera (that you can also use for other stuff) and 4 wands and you'll certainly be spending less than with 3 extra Wiimotes and 4 WM+.

As for those lamenting that you can't move your characters, what exactly holds a game developer from using a DS3 in the left hand (left analog+ sixaxis) and a wand in the right hand setup? The same holds for MS's wand-less tecnology, of course.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Torillian said:
It looks accurate and all, but if you have to buy an camera as well as a wand it'll never really catch on. Definitely my biggest disappointment from that conference.

I thought so too. It didn't help that the two presenting, did so incompetently.

superchunk said:
any pics?

it looks pretty close to the leaked patent info

its like a microphone with a glowing ball on the end.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

pakidan101 said:
It all honesty, it looked a little bit better than Natal when compared to the gaming front but fails in comparison to the technology front.

In essence, it is WM+ > PS motion controls > Natal in gaming relevance and here is why. Natal is the brand new tech and it is becoming the darling of the media blogs, but for all the wrong reason. As always, humanity seeks to dethrone leaders and heroes very quickly and everybody has jumped on the bandwagon in saying this will officially dethrone the Wii, but they don't understand the actual technology.

As much as I love new technology, Project Natal - when it comes to gaming - is no more than a glorified advanced Eye Toy. Whereas the Eye Toy on its own registers the upper body, this will register the whole body. As cool as that sounds, though, the fact that there are no buttons at all limits the possibilities of most traditional games. I can see an RTS being possible, but other than that no other types of games other than mini games are possible. The same thing could be said about the PS motion controllers. Though they have a Wii-mote look-a-like, the fact that there were no buttons and no analog stick limits the possibilities of more traditional games.

And that is what is separating MS and Sony's attempts for motion controls when comparing to Nintendo. MS and Sony are trying to SEPARATE the "casuals" and the "hardcore" gaming types. That is why the these motion controls seem laughable in the eyes of some Wii owners. The reason why Nintendo is successful is that not only do they make games that are accessible to casuals but to the more traditional gamers as well. The controller input tries to tie in everyone together, and not just separate the two groups from each other into ridiculous categories and ways of gaming.

MS and Sony are just copying without actually realizing why Nintendo is making things work...

The SONY wands did have buttons just to clarify.  I think at the very least SONY and Nintendo solutions have parity with the seeming 1:1 motion control, though I think SONY has it better with additonal motion capture IE body movement independent of the controller movement.

I'm not so sure that SONY and MS are _trying_ to seperate the two types of gamers, I think its a natural division.  Nintendo may be trying to reach out to the traditional gamer but so far they have not been doing well.  I am a traditional gamer and thus far even after E3 I will only be adding 2 or 3 games to my Wii library whereas SONY alone guaranteed has me buying 6 or 7 games.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

For all the people saying Natal is better, or WiiMotion Plus is better, I have one question, and it's an honest question because I am not sure if I am just missing something.  What is one thing that Natal or WiiMotion Plus can do that the new PS3 Motion can't do with even more precision?  Natal is basically an Eye that they actually made a game for, and is very limited in its abilities.  The voice recognition is nothing the Eye can't do, or a blu tooth headset can't do.  SOCOM 1 on the PS2 had voice recognition.  The tracking balls with the camera is definitely a lot more precise than Wii Motion Plus, but with a similar design look.  So I don't quite understand how anyone could say Sony Motion can't do everything the other can do, and do it better.

As far as capabilites go Sony Motion seems way better.  The only issue with Sony motion, is they would need to package the Eye and motion sticks together in one purchase for a low price.   Also I doubt it will catch on.  But in capabilites terms it is better.  To be honest though, I hope it does not catch on, because I do not feel like jumping around and swinging my arms when I want to play a game.

Dont care.

As long as they don't force that gimmick on GT or GOW i just don't care.

twingo said:
Dont care.

As long as they don't force that gimmick on GT or GOW i just don't care.

I don't believe they dare, optional is very likely though.

Voice isn't easy to pull off it's not the hardware but the software. Microsoft has been developing this for ages.

pakidan101 said:
It all honesty, it looked a little bit better than Natal when compared to the gaming front but fails in comparison to the technology front.

In essence, it is WM+ > PS motion controls > Natal in gaming relevance and here is why. Natal is the brand new tech and it is becoming the darling of the media blogs, but for all the wrong reason. As always, humanity seeks to dethrone leaders and heroes very quickly and everybody has jumped on the bandwagon in saying this will officially dethrone the Wii, but they don't understand the actual technology.

As much as I love new technology, Project Natal - when it comes to gaming - is no more than a glorified advanced Eye Toy. Whereas the Eye Toy on its own registers the upper body, this will register the whole body. As cool as that sounds, though, the fact that there are no buttons at all limits the possibilities of most traditional games. I can see an RTS being possible, but other than that no other types of games other than mini games are possible. The same thing could be said about the PS motion controllers. Though they have a Wii-mote look-a-like, the fact that there were no buttons and no analog stick limits the possibilities of more traditional games.

And that is what is separating MS and Sony's attempts for motion controls when comparing to Nintendo. MS and Sony are trying to SEPARATE the "casuals" and the "hardcore" gaming types. That is why the these motion controls seem laughable in the eyes of some Wii owners. The reason why Nintendo is successful is that not only do they make games that are accessible to casuals but to the more traditional gamers as well. The controller input tries to tie in everyone together, and not just separate the two groups from each other into ridiculous categories and ways of gaming.

MS and Sony are just copying without actually realizing why Nintendo is making things work...

The sony one had buttons. How do you think he switched to fps view. They even said "sometimes you just need buttons" to poke fun at microsoft.

Sony started the mainstream move of motion controls. And now they're going to advance it to the next level.

Frankly the fact that they let their engineers on stage to talk about it instead of some pr person is really awesome. Unlike nintendo who hides those guys behind the doors sony actually brings forth the people working on this thing.

Check out my game about moles ^

nordlead said:
noslodecoy said:
radha said:
colonelstubbs said:
It looks quite frankly rubbish compared to what MS showed us last night...

MS showed a video sony showed a live demo, like nintendo said you can make anything work and look cool on a pre recorded video

People who've demoed Natal say it works quite well.  Read the tid-bit about Burnout.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-project-natal-hands-on
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/989/989269p1.html
http://kotaku.com/5275204/testing-molyneuxs-milo-a-virtual-boy-with-yes-a-dog

while they may have had a demo for burnout behind close doors, it was a very poor decision. People are going to remember the conference, and the main press news, not the special limited invitation only press.

You have half of that right.  People are going to remember the media response that is crammed down our throats and the articles and news coverage.  All of this is very positive for Natal thus far.  I also really don't think of Kotaku as special press.

Plus it's a bit more "new" compared to the Sony controller.  We'll see how the press handles it, but I didn't hear anything about offering a hands on demonstration.

I'm willing to bet that articles are going to portray I bigger "awe" effect towards Natal.  That's not to say that Sony's offering isn't interesting.  I think a combination of the two would be ideal.