By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
W29 said:
I believe if Microsoft really wanted to. They could just pay Square Enix to port FFXIII over to the 360.

I believe if Microsoft wanted to that they could pay some shady characters and have Square Enix's main building disappear.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

People complained that Nintendo was incompetent for not getting more third party games for the Gamecube and N64. What many people didn't realize is how difficult it is to sell a third party on your platform when it is trailing in userbase and is behind in sales.

You pretty much said what I was going to say. Microsoft probobly isn't getting all the rights too the games. It's that the games are likely to sell better on that system. So they will get more return off of it.

And I agree with a lot of you. I think Sony should have ditched the Blu-Ray, and made the system 300-400$, and come out first, or around the 360's time. I can assure you they'd win. But with the PS3, they did everything the PS1 and 2 didn't. Did they beat the competion to the gate? No. Did they make it affordable? No. Did they make amazing advertsing campains. Not even close. 

Cookie for the first person that can point out the error in the thread title.

I have to say that the xbox 360 has brought the most mis fortune to sony.

I think if there weren't an xbox 360 now, sony would still be leading even at $599.99, the problem is that currently the ps3 is not the system to get, the XBOX360 is THE system to buy out of all three.

Best games, best shooter is on the system, best features etc..

Microsoft is trying, sony is not. They should pay for not putting in much effort.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

zackblue said:
I have to say that the xbox 360 has brought the most mis fortune to sony.

I think if there weren't an xbox 360 now, sony would still be leading even at $599.99, the problem is that currently the ps3 is not the system to get, the XBOX360 is THE system to buy out of all three.

Best games, best shooter is on the system, best features etc..

Microsoft is trying, sony is not. They should pay for not putting in much effort.

You got that right. I agree with you zackblue. Its just weird how your name is like that.

zack reminds me of Gballzack and blue reminds me of blue3. hmmmmm.....anyway I agree with you Microsoft is trying and is accomplishing alot more than Sony is.

Around the Network

The sheer ignorance is mind blowing. Sony has purchased in the ballpark a dozen games developers in the past year. Sony has paid for some exclusive games. Do not for an instant think a timed exclusive for the PS3 has not been purchased dearly. Sony was the trend setter. When they were bigger then Nintendo, had limitless funds, and wanted to win. Guess what they did they bought many exclusive games for their consoles. Microsoft is only giving Sony the Sony treatment. They learned from what Sony did right when it came into the market.

All of the PS3s problems stem from a singular source. They forgot to factor in the economic equation. When it comes to a product that is an inviolable rule. Consider all the expenses not only yours but those that will support your product. The result was a very expensive machine, that required expensive development, and required massive resources to back.

Sony will not only lose on the exclusive front, because Microsoft is doing better and has more money. Microsoft has the power of positioning. They have the larger user base. They have the higher attach rate for their products. They provide better support for marketing, and they specialize in sales of additional content. The result is Microsoft can pay much less for exclusive content then Sony can. They might be able to buy up three or even four titles for every one that Sony can or will buy.

The higher install base means that from game sales there is a higher return for developers. The Microsoft consumer will purchase more games for their console. The fact that the PS3 is so expensive actually drives down game sales. Less money in the wallet is less money to spend on games. Microsoft is game focused compared to Sony placing more focus on technology. Microsoft strongly supports episodic content sales. Make no mistake there is a lot of fast easy money in expansion packs.

People seem to adopt the money pit philosophy in regard to these debates. The reality is you should never spend more money then you absolutely have to. Sony made that mistake out of the gate. So they are putting the money towards solving the main problem first. They are not going to buy dozens of exclusive titles just a few key ones. Their main problem is the price of their system. Once they get it down they will have more options, and it might stimulate a larger user base. That is critical to save the console far more so then buying exclusive games. They need to find sound financial footing, because throwing money at the problem makes it worse not better.

Sony effectively has nothing to work with for the next six months when it comes to buying exclusives, and based on how Square has behaved recently chances are they are going to lose more. Square would lose very little by going multi platform. Especially if it strengthens their sales in markets outside of Japan. After all its not like Sony will throw a fit and block the games off of their system. The same goes for other developers. The longer Microsoft extends this lead the more likely the PS3 will be to get fewer exclusive games, and more importantly the more likely they are to lose what they have. Sony does not get eighteen months to get around to putting up a fight. Developers cannot gamble their finances on such a whimsy as it will eventually happen.

Road I feel for you I seldom meet a PS3 owner is overly thrilled with the content. Unfortunately I see no point in the near term or the long term where the PS3 is going to be getting a surge in exclusive games. Hell based on the trends we have all seen it is very likely things are going to get worse rather then better.

Words Of Wisdom said:
W29 said:
I believe if Microsoft really wanted to. They could just pay Square Enix to port FFXIII over to the 360.

I believe if Microsoft wanted to that they could pay some shady characters and have Square Enix's main building disappear.

That was a retarded post. What I said is what can happen.

@W29

How do you know about blue3 and gbalzack?

mM
Dodece said:
The sheer ignorance is mind blowing. Sony has purchased in the ballpark a dozen games developers in the past year. Sony has paid for some exclusive games. Do not for an instant think a timed exclusive for the PS3 has not been purchased dearly. Sony was the trend setter. When they were bigger then Nintendo, had limitless funds, and wanted to win. Guess what they did they bought many exclusive games for their consoles. Microsoft is only giving Sony the Sony treatment. They learned from what Sony did right when it came into the market.

All of the PS3s problems stem from a singular source. They forgot to factor in the economic equation. When it comes to a product that is an inviolable rule. Consider all the expenses not only yours but those that will support your product. The result was a very expensive machine, that required expensive development, and required massive resources to back.

Sony will not only lose on the exclusive front, because Microsoft is doing better and has more money. Microsoft has the power of positioning. They have the larger user base. They have the higher attach rate for their products. They provide better support for marketing, and they specialize in sales of additional content. The result is Microsoft can pay much less for exclusive content then Sony can. They might be able to buy up three or even four titles for every one that Sony can or will buy.

The higher install base means that from game sales there is a higher return for developers. The Microsoft consumer will purchase more games for their console. The fact that the PS3 is so expensive actually drives down game sales. Less money in the wallet is less money to spend on games. Microsoft is game focused compared to Sony placing more focus on technology. Microsoft strongly supports episodic content sales. Make no mistake there is a lot of fast easy money in expansion packs.

People seem to adopt the money pit philosophy in regard to these debates. The reality is you should never spend more money then you absolutely have to. Sony made that mistake out of the gate. So they are putting the money towards solving the main problem first. They are not going to buy dozens of exclusive titles just a few key ones. Their main problem is the price of their system. Once they get it down they will have more options, and it might stimulate a larger user base. That is critical to save the console far more so then buying exclusive games. They need to find sound financial footing, because throwing money at the problem makes it worse not better.

Sony effectively has nothing to work with for the next six months when it comes to buying exclusives, and based on how Square has behaved recently chances are they are going to lose more. Square would lose very little by going multi platform. Especially if it strengthens their sales in markets outside of Japan. After all its not like Sony will throw a fit and block the games off of their system. The same goes for other developers. The longer Microsoft extends this lead the more likely the PS3 will be to get fewer exclusive games, and more importantly the more likely they are to lose what they have. Sony does not get eighteen months to get around to putting up a fight. Developers cannot gamble their finances on such a whimsy as it will eventually happen.

Road I feel for you I seldom meet a PS3 owner is overly thrilled with the content. Unfortunately I see no point in the near term or the long term where the PS3 is going to be getting a surge in exclusive games. Hell based on the trends we have all seen it is very likely things are going to get worse rather then better.

ooooohhhhh I feel a cold chill after reading this post and I like this post. So much truth.

This is so silly. Sony is a good company -- I can say that, even though I really dislike the PS3 ><

I think this generation proves how significant the first 6 months after launch are. If the snowball doesn't roll just right from the very beginning, it won't get bigger, and it never catches up.

Sony made a few significant errors at or prior to launch -- most of which can be attributed to Kutaragi, a great engineer but a terrible marketer. I honestly believe that those few key mistakes (pricing, marketing and giving Microsoft a year's head start being the three major early errors, in my opinion) are all it took to put Sony where they are now.

This isn't a case of an entire company being stupid and full or morons who have no idea what they're doing. The lead designer of the system made a few critical errors, and that was all it took.

Instead of proving that "Sony is dumb," I think this generation proves something much more important -- the video game market is much more fragile than we'd come to believe. A few major mistakes at the critical launch period can cause anyone, no matter how dominant (Be it Atari, Nintendo back in the N64 days, or now Sony) to see their market share collapse from 70+ percent to 15 percent in the matter of a year.

A company doesn't have to be dumb to have that happen to them. Just a few slip ups at a bad time.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">