By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THQ - Wii is a nightmare for third parties, it's a Monopoly box in the clos

meh, whatever. THQ is a shovelware dispenser anyway.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
Its a nightmare because companies like THQ invested heavily on the wrong horse and are now bleeding money and may soon bite the dust. All third parties wrote the Wii off early on hoping, wishing that it was a fad.

The funny thing is, there is no "special code to crack" The main third party franchises are absent on Wii simple as that. The crazy thing is even with out those games Wii still sells the most third party software..scary.

Stop the bitchin THQ. You know what happens to life forms that cannot adapt to changing living conditions? They don't survive.

It is scary...because it's games like Carnival Games, Mario and Sonic, and Game Party that give the Wii that title

S.T.A.G.E. said:
SaviorX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Daileon said:
I'd say... Nice move, THQ, we don't need your shitty games.

Do you really want to call THQ a shitty company when they put out some of the hottest third party titles? Let me paint you a picture of four hot titles that are out or are coming out this year.

UFC: Undipsuted 2009

Red Faction Guerrilla

Warhammer II: Dawn of War

Darksiders

None of those are Wii games.

Thats because THQ is aiming for high sales with kiddy games on the Wii. The mature titles are on HD consoles or on PC.

Now, do you want a list of all there shitty games? Believe me, it's a lot bigger then your list of above average games.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lolcislaw said:
Aion said:
Lol THQ, I agree harecore titles don't sell well on the wii.

Really Hardcore games do not sell on any console, in order for game to be extremely succesful it needs to capture casual players.

Look at the sales of Ico or Okami on the PS2

Kinda like Final Fantasy VI or HaloI?....Not casual games by any means and still produces stellar sales.

Halo is an extremely casual franchise Why? Because a lot of people that do not consider themselves gamers, or those who do not game a lot do play Halo. Game is targeted at a Mass Market just like movies like Transformers are made to be watched by millions and little productions like Sideways will appeal to much smaller games

In order for game to have great sales it need to appeal to a wide group of people. Therefore Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, MGS, Halo, Gears of War, GT etc. etc are to certain extent casual games, played by very casual players. Because those games are such blockbusters they MUST target that audience in order to be profitable.

And there is nothing wrong with it, i personaly consider myself to be casual. 

Definition of "Casual" Game is very vague.

goddog said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
It's like the whole world has resorted to blatant trolling :x

but when the whole world says it is it still trolling?

If a treee falls with no-one around to hear it, does it still make a sound?
If something is illegal, but everyone is doing it, is it right?
How many chucks of wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lolcislaw said:
Aion said:

Really Hardcore games do not sell on any console, in order for game to be extremely succesful it needs to capture casual players.

Kinda like Final Fantasy VI or HaloI?....Not casual games by any means and still produces stellar sales.

That's because the definition of casual changes to fit the argument.  Last generation, casual games were GTA, Halo, and Madden.  That was because these games were played by the frat guys and the "hardcore" gamers wanted to distance themselves from this group.

Yup. All "casual gamer" means, usually, is "gamer I look down upon". A good example would be WoW, even when I was spending 30-40+ hours a week on that game, I was still referred to, often, as a "casual gamer", for a number of reasons.

I've seen "casual" used to mean any of the following: player with poor skill, player with small game collection, player who likes party games, player who doesn't play often, player who doesn't follow gaming news, player who buys shovelware, player who doesn't complete games to 100%, player who doesn't enjoy certain genres (RPGs, FPS, etc), player who doesn't play retro games, player who doesn't "appreciate" games enough, player who enjoyed a "bad" game, player I arbitrarily don't like and many, many more.

Casual and hardcore are useless terms. In general, people try to see three types of gamers, all in terms relative to himself, not absolute terms:

Casual: Gamer who plays less than me/has different interests

(Hard)core: Gamer who plays a similar amount to me/has similar interest

Person with no life: Gamer who plays more than me/has different interests

From my experience in WoW, I've simultaneously been called casual, hardcore and a no-lifer by different people, heh.

theRepublic said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lolcislaw said:
Aion said:

That's because the definition of casual changes to fit the argument.  Last generation, casual games were GTA, Halo, and Madden.  That was because these games were played by the frat guys and the "hardcore" gamers wanted to distance themselves from this group.

Um...no. Casual games= Games with pick up and play style that doesn't take true care or learning. Basically...an upstart game, that usually appeals to casual party gamers. It is the type of game that you just pick up and have fun for funs sake. Casuals don't like a challenge.

IE: I was at my friends house yesterday and his moms friend wanted to play UFC: Undisputed. He realized the games controls were extremely deep and tactical, so he immediately gave up and said "this is why I hate those serious videogames..no offense, but they are for people who have no life". That is a multiplatform game and it is still too much for a casual. Halo was not and never will be a casual game. It was just an extremely popular shooter amongst shooter fans.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
theRepublic said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lolcislaw said:
Aion said:

Um...no. Casual games= Games with pick up and play style that doesn't take true care or learning. Basically...an upstart game, that usually appeals to casual party gamers. It is the type of game that you just pick up and have fun for funs sake. Casuals don't like a challenge.

IE: I was at my friends house yesterday and his moms friend wanted to play UFC: Undisputed. He realized the games controls were extremely deep and tactical, so he immediately gave up and said "this is why I hate those serious videogames..no offense, but they are for people who have no life". That is a multiplatform game and it is still too much for a casual. Halo was not and never will be a casual game. It was just an extremely popular shooter amongst shooter fans.

Im sorry but think about how really easy Halo is to pick up and play, to have some fun with your mates in local multiplayer? Of course it takes time and a lot of skill to be good but its a simple game that everyone can enjoy.

And its this same with Gran Turismo, SMG, Smash Bros or Mario Kart. Every "big" game out there is extremely accesible, and thats why those big brands are selling. They as casual as they are core.

I havent played UFC undisputed yet, but look at Street Fighter II everyone used to play that game, everyone enjoyed it on a different level it could've been a deep fighting game for someone, or just a button mashing experience.

Other than the SLOW selling wrestling game,  what so Hardcore about THQ games.  Thier sells are down cause they play it to safe it seems.  THQ's heyday was on N64 system with No Mercy.  I see nothing coming out to soon from THQ that I want to puchase so PHBBBBBT!!!! to them.

Oh and i agree if THQ would develop a really good game on the wii, with production values then i think it would sell.