By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Internet Speed

Hey guys, my internet speed right now is around 3.9-4.0 mbps, the current internet package I have right now says that I could be getting up to 10mbps in speed.

So im asking if I am getting ripped off, also the speed I posted was with my laptop.

If you guys think that I should be getting higher speeds, please advise some internet accelerator programs.

**I have 2 computers and 1 laptop.**

**I am with cogeco**

**have a "G" router** Will a "N" router make my speed faster?

**Cable internet not DSL**

Around the Network

well as of my experience you should at least be getting 75% of your internet speed before you can bitch at your isp company and also did you try your speed test via ethernet or just wifi?

^^no clue, went on 2 wire's speed meter

Check the speed here....

http://speedtest.net/

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

If it says 'up to' you're screwed. Cause that usually means 'not even close to'.

If, on the other hand, you are supposed to get 10mbit/s, and you, with a decent computer connected to your modem with an ethernet cable, cannot get more than 4, then you should complain.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

no your not getting screwed. While there are things you can do to clean up your data packets the real problem isn't you or your ISP. It's all the garbage that's moving around the internet. That's 10mp if direct and not sharing. Typicly any site or download you do will have to split there data transfer to a massive number of users. One of the big problems with the internet slow down is spam. On rare occasions before spam and cable internet back on the 56kb modem days. There was a rare chance that you could get direct and no shared connection to a page. The download rate was incredible easily matching cable current rates. Imagine if there was no junk on the internet.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

To answer a question, Wireless N won't make your internet faster.

your getting riped of

No one (and I mean no one) gets the advertised speeds, unless they camp out in the telephone exchange with a fibre optic cable connected directly to the backbone.

3-4Mbps out of 10 is fine. I get 200Kbps out of an 8Mbps connection. And BT say that's normal. It's false advertising and a ripoff, but all the companies do it and you cannot physically improve it.

tl;dr: It's typical and you CAN'T fix it.

I get within the range of 1/2 to 1/3 of the advertised speed. Thanks to the "up to" clause it is allowed.