By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Internet Speed

Do I win ?

Around the Network
Star Scream said:
You have got to be kidding - I usually get 99% of advertised CS with my cable...

Well, there's your difference. You're one of the few Brits that actually gets a cable connection (I think it's around 3 million households in the UK get Virgin Media, who are essentially the only firm in the UK offering cable).

Screw the other tests, the only one I've found to be reliable is http://testmy.net. You should be getting at least 75-80% of your advertised speed during peak hours (hopefully 90%-100%), and you should be able to get the full bandwidth during off-peak hours. Always plug in to the router directly with an ethernet cable to get the most accurate reading, I've found that even on a wireless G network, you can lose 20% or more of your speed when wireless due to interference, overhead, etc.

Timmah! said:
Screw the other tests, the only one I've found to be reliable is http://testmy.net. You should be getting at least 75-80% of your advertised speed during peak hours (hopefully 90%-100%), and you should be able to get the full bandwidth during off-peak hours. Always plug in to the router directly with an ethernet cable to get the most accurate reading, I've found that even on a wireless G network, you can lose 20% or more of your speed when wireless due to interference, overhead, etc.

I got the speed above on a Wireless router... then again I have a badass router haha

Necromunda said:
Timmah! said:

I got the speed above on a Wireless router... then again I have a badass router haha

You must have N, then and a very badass router! The basic Linksys wireless G routers tend to drop some speed, especially when using any type of encryption. The biggest problem I've seen, though is that everybody leaves their router on Channel 6, so there's a ton of interference if there are other wireless networks around. To the OP, you should log on to your router and try setting it to a few different wireless channels to see if there's any improvement in speed.

Around the Network

you're supposed to get an eighth of the advertised speed. Because the advertised speed is in bits, while the speed we're used to seeing, when we download stuff, is in bytes. There are eight bits in a byte

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Timmah! said:
Necromunda said:
Timmah! said:

You must have N, then and a very badass router! The basic Linksys wireless G routers tend to drop some speed, especially when using any type of encryption. The biggest problem I've seen, though is that everybody leaves their router on Channel 6, so there's a ton of interference if there are other wireless networks around. To the OP, you should log on to your router and try setting it to a few different wireless channels to see if there's any improvement in speed.

D-Link Xtreme N wireless router :P One of the most badass routers on the market. Well I dunno where it stands now but like 6 months ago it was like top 5 on the market.

Did you guys make this thread to deppress/piss off dial up members?

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Acorrding to speedtest I'm getting 28 Mbps down and 4.6 up. I have Optimum Boost so I should get a 30 Meg token. 30 up and 10 down. I'm getting what I'm paying for. By the way extra machines on your internal network can slow down your speed. If you have 10 Mbps and one of the other machine is downloading your speed is gonna take a hit.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Johann said:
Did you guys make this thread to deppress/piss off dial up members?

Yes