By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - This is going to be a club swung.

I thought this was worth sharing with the community, because you know someone is going to share this. Then they are going to start swinging it like a +10 battle axe. Needless to say another reason to buy the PS3 bites the dust, and more to the point another black eye to add to the list. Sorry guys looks like Factor 5 is starting to find itself in strong company. This is Epic so who wants to complain about their coding. 

Having been the bearer of bad news earlier this month when he suggested that Unreal Tournament 3 might not make its release date, Epic's Mark Rein has now said maps have had to be cut from the PlayStation 3 version because the next-gen system can't handle them.

Speaking to IGN, Rein commented that the maps not in the PS3 release didn't sit well on the console "because the system didn't have the resources to produce a smooth gameplay experience."

Ouch.

It's not yet been made clear whether the same maps are set to be cut from the Xbox 360 release - itself expected at some point next year, but for now, the definitive version is looking to be the PC release.

http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=9625

Around the Network

Questions:

From what I've seen on the PS3, what the hell is in those levels? PS3 can pull some good environments off. And even with better framerate than Lairs.

Coding issue, are they programming it the same way despite the differences in hardware? Big issue for Ps3.

Since when is a battle axe a club?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Fuzzmosis said:
Questions:

From what I've seen on the PS3, what the hell is in those levels? PS3 can pull some good environments off. And even with better framerate than Lairs.

Maybe not with the quality demanded by the Unreal Engine? Just a thought...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

More developers making excuses eh? Aren't these the guys who promised the best experience on the PS3? Like WTH? Sony seems to know it's system pretty well, why is that info not being spread out to developers?

This situation will improve once the PS3 has a larger market share. At the moment it's all about money.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

WTH? They showed gameplay of UT3 on the ps3 that was smooth and amazing lookin(better than pc might I add) then they say that it cant handle the maps? WTF does the map have? If ps3 can handle heavenly sword, warhawk and other games. WTF does UT3 have that ps3 cant handle?

mM
Around the Network

Had I used ax in the title people would have assumed that it was a reference to someones termination. While the club reference is more of a standard metaphor which is universally recognized. A club being swung symbolizes a fact, or in this case a statement that is going to be used against someone else. Thus a club being swung. The club invokes many mental images of brutality, and base instincts.

I invoked the battle ax analogy for the purposes of being relevant to my audience. They should get the intended joke, and appreciate it. Why club when you can use a +10 battle ax. The latter has a far better ring to it.

However you should recognize that I did not invoke the club metaphor within the body of my work, but instead it was a title. Unless your of the opinion that a title must be quoted within a text for the title to be valid. Which lets be blunt few works actually do that then you have nothing to nitpick.

Nice try but I am right and you are wrong.

I'm guessing he's talking about the framerates.. why's the PS3 plagued with framerate issues?? something wrong with the hardware?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Longest defense of a title to content post ever!

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

DarkNight_DS said:
More developers making excuses eh? Aren't these the guys who promised the best experience on the PS3? Like WTH? Sony seems to know it's system pretty well, why is that info not being spread out to developers?

This situation will improve once the PS3 has a larger market share. At the moment it's all about money.

At what point will Sony fans stop saying that the developers are making excuses, and finally admit that, at the very least, the PS3 is too hard to program?

Sony took something which is already hard (multicore programming) and made it even harder in the PS3 with their asymmetric architecture...and then topped it off with a GPU which is good but not great (not as good as the one in the xbox 360, and certainly not as good as the one in current PCs).

For developers to do better games on the PS3 they need better developing tools (Sony under-delivered) and a better reason to expend the effort (i.e. potential market for their games, i.e. more people buying PS3s).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I wish I could find the original quote, that one appears to be pretty abbreviated.