By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crackdown and inFamous

Well recently, I have read news of a Crackdown sequel coming about and being announced at E3 and thought of trying out the first one. I just recently downloaded the Crackdown demo maybe 2 weeks ago and when I played it, I instantly loved the gameplay. I love how your character can jump high up while shooting in the air and run through rooftops making you feel like a super soldier. I even think I had a better time playing Crackdown than GTA(still love you Niko Belic, plz dont go after me).

Now back into topic, with the release of inFamous, I have seen lots of great video reviews and gameplay footage for the game and would say I'm highly impressed with it and always with the developers at Sucker Punch. But I just can't but help to think that Sucker Punch took the idea of Crackdown as versitale, sandbox/openworld game, and made it better with inFamous. I know its different than Crackdown, with the game having guns and RPGs while inFamous has lightning to fight off baddies, but both seem very similar to each other. I have not yet played inFamous yet but I'm planning too to see if they are similar. For those who have played inFamous, do you think that Sucker Punch was influened by Crackdown to make inFamous? or were they influenced by another game and combine different genres together?

I would like to know what you think and would love to see if any of you have an idea on how/where Sucker Punch came up with the idea of making inFamous.

EDIT Made

Around the Network

Naughty Dog didn't develop inFamous, Sucker Punch did.

Oh whoops my bad. let me edit that. Thx m8

I have played the Sly Cooper games and loved them with its funny and unique characters which was different for me in the PS2 era thats why Im highly interested in inFamous. i have also seen those comic book theme in the game and it looks very detailed and interesting since its pretty much a first for an open world game.

I've never played Crackdown, but from what I've played (beaten the first island), it's a combination of Assassin's Creed and The Force Unleashed, with a little bit of GTA thrown in.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

inFamous was first revealed at E3 2007 (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/803/803511p1.html), and it definitely was in development before that showing. Meaning, the time of beginning development for the game overlaps that of the release Crackdown. So unless Sucker Punch had informants at Realtime Worlds before Crackdown released to tell them what was up, then no....I'd say that Crackdown didn't influence inFAMOUS...just a coincidence that it's an open world game based on super powers. Just like Prototype.

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/800208/sucker-punch-project/videos/infamous_e3trailer_081107.html

^E3 2007 trailer....and those graphics are boo boo lol

Ok that cleared it up pretty good.

i really like crackdown. i tried the demo of infamous and wasnt impressed in the least. i think they should have done another sly instead.
so just go check out the demo and see for yourself.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

As someone who liked Crackdown (still own it and beat it), and someone who owns inFAMOUS and played through the first few mission, let me comment here. It does appear that Crackdown had some influence on inFAMOUS (well, I would say Fable also did, in regards to morality decisions), but this is a GOOD thing in this case. The shards vs agility orbs is one, as is climbing buildings and jumping around another one. inFAMOUS does go in a different direction, by being a bit more structured the way Spiderman 2 or Grand Theft Auto 3 (and onward) have been.

Don't toss in Fable either...morality has been around since Fallout 1..maybe before that