By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why no games about Homer's epics yet?

From KOEI's pre-E3 press release:

Warriors: Legends of Troy™ - Three thousand years ago, a poet sang of heroes strong enough to stand alone against an army. For love, they sailed the world. For family, they made the greatest sacrifices. For honor, they stood and faced the will of gods, and fought a war which shook the earth…

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/29/koei-brings-action-rpg-trinity-souls-of-zill-oll-to-north-america/

Around the Network

!!!

that actually makes sense! why not make a dynasty warriors game set in the trojan war? that would be great! (assuming koei actually gets its act together...)

And by the way, speaking of hero credentials, most of the Odyssey and the Iliad involve fighting AGAINST the gods. And not wussy GoW gods who can be killed by a white dude with emotional problems, gods who move among people like forces of nature and who kill mortals merely by being LOOKED UPON.

The Odyssey is about pissing off the god of the ocean before going on the most epic sea voyage in literature... And then winning (by SURVIVING).

What about a Gilgamesh game? Lots of good monstrous boss fights, and after the big fight against Enkidu the wild man, he joins you and the game becomes co-op!

(I guess it could be co-op before, you'd just play a retainer of Gilgamesh or something until that boss fight.)

gilgamesh would be cool. what about a norse mythology type, with odin, or the real thor (not the marvel thor) as your main guy? that'd be cool..

Around the Network

If they could be done well, they could be great games. However, classic works of literature never seem to transfer well to other media. I would rather the game not be made than have another poor quality rendition. Case in point: the movie Troy. Worst piece of crap ever! Now there are rumours of Brad Pitt doing the Odyssey in space...please just stop.

There have been quite a few, actually:

Seriously, though, I agree. But it would have to be good.

Was Rise of the Argonauts actually based on Greek myth?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Because they're anything but epic.

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

That would be good, although I prefer games completely original and not based on anything.

What I'd rather have though is a serious attempt from hollywood to make comedy films about the two stories. Seriously, so many things would make up for a great laugh if done right, especially the events that lead up to the war of troy.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

bugrimmar said:

The Odyssey is the greatest adventure story of all time.

The Iliad is the greatest war story of all time.

EA is already making a Dante's Inferno game (which looks awesome), and I'm praying that Homer gets a little love soon.. it would be freaking awesome to have an Prince of Persia-like game with Odysseus as your main guy, or a God of War-like game with Achilles or Hector to choose from...

I'd rather see games around the Ramayana and the Mahabharata epics, maybe i'm biased but I liked those stories more

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)