By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Slim pretty much announced - Now predict hardware and software sales

Well Sin and Da Mole have said the PS3 Slim is real and the track record for both is pretty darn good. Since it is now pretty much confirmed we can make some educated guesses in terms of software and hardware sales. This biggie here is that it is said to release in September however the price is not known. What that does mean though is that the console will release before the release of MAG, GOW III, Ratchet and Clank, FFXIII in Japan and the big one GT5.

My guess is that it will be announced just a couple weeks before release (duh) and it will retail at $299. With that said I see those previously mentioned games selling a lot more copies then if the system remains at $399 (again duh). I always said the PS3 would release when the PS3 got a price cut and I am correct.

I admit I am loony for first/second party sales because that is the reason I purchased the console so predict away!

MAG - 1.5 million

GOW III - 3.2 million

GT5 - 10 million (:O)

Ratchet and Clank: ACIT - 1.8 million

Uncharted 2 - 2.7 million

Heavy Rain - 0.8 million

PS3 sales wise it will beat the 360 during the holiday season UNLESS a 360 slim is also announced, price cut and still a PS3 win. BTW I made a thread similar to this some time ago however it became pretty big and I felt a fresh one was needed.

Around the Network

who the hell are Sin and Da Mole? Do they work for Sony?

I am curious, has Microsoft even made any slim consoles?  Last gen that did not and I do not think they would this generation either (unless you count the arcade which is a less tricked out pro).

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=74176&page=1

Related thread?

I'm sorry, are you a Hopestation fan ?

You sure seem to have a lot of F_A_I_T_H

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

Around the Network

Expect hugeboost in PS3 sales with PS3 Slim plus pre-holiday price cut of $100. PS3 will outsell the 360 by 2 to 3 million unit sales for the total sales year of 2009.

MAG - 1.8 million

GOW III - 4 million

GT5 - 12 million

Ratchet and Clank: ACIT - 2.6 million

Uncharted 2 - 3.2 million

Heavy Rain - 1.2 million

I don't see Ratchet putting up almost 2 million.

If MAG is only multiplayer, I don't see it doing as well as Resistance 2 or Killzone 2.  I'd say like 1.3M if that.

I certainly can't imagine Uncharted 2 doing so well considering that the first one only started selling well when it was bundled with the system.  When people actually had to pay out of pocket for it, it was only doing mediocre numbers.  I'd say like 1.5M

Your Heavy Rain sounds about right but it might be too generous.  I just do think that any console other than the Wii really has a large group of people who will give a game like that a chance.  It's not a shooter, so that's like a mark of death already.  The female lead isn't half naked or insanely hot and the gameplay seems like an evolved pc adventure game.  I think it'll end up like Beyond Good and Evil... one of the best games nobody played.

I see God of War doing 3.2M but I think it'll reach that after being out for close to a year if not more.  Thats almost 1 million more than the best selling one has sold, and it's selling to a smaller install base.

--

I don't see the PS3 beating the 360 saleswise for the Holiday unless it's selling for the same price as a 360 Pro (currently $299).  I don't think a PS3 Slim will do too much of a boost.  I don't think people are resistant to a PS3 because of it's looks.  I'll predict that a $399 Slim PS3 basically sells the same as a regular $399 PS3.

PS3beats360 said:

Expect hugeboost in PS3 sales with PS3 Slim plus pre-holiday price cut of $100. PS3 will outsell the 360 by 2 to 3 million unit sales for the total sales year of 2009.

I think that's crazy talk.  We're almost 6 months deep and the PS3 hasn't outsold the 360 world wide a single time this year.  To sell 2-3 million more units than the 360 would require like a 300% increase in sales starting now.  That's highly unlikely given that the thing has been selling worse year over year.

You're going to see sales like you did for MGS4 month. Except it will last multiple months.

Unless MS drops the arcade to $150, PS3 will outsell 360 every week with the exception of OSDT week by 50-100k.

Occasionally the PS3 will outsell the Wii. Particularly for the FF13 launch month.

If the Arcade drops to $150 this year, (which I hope but doubt) sales for both systems will increase and they will sell fairly evenly. If it does not, no E3 megaton will be able to stop the PS3 from outselling 360.

I think events will go like this:

PS3 pricecut comes late summer/fall. The gap between 360 and PS3 will shrink to about 4 million. MS will not cut the 360 price until 2010. The Wii will continue to outsell the HD twins but not at the margin that it has in the past. Nintendo will cut the price of the Wii in 2010 as well.

Megadude said:
PS3 pricecut comes late summer/fall. The gap between 360 and PS3 will shrink to about 4 million. MS will not cut the 360 price until 2010. The Wii will continue to outsell the HD twins but not at the margin that it has in the past. Nintendo will cut the price of the Wii in 2010 as well.

That's flat out ludicrous.  It'd have to put up sales numbers that blow away the Wii in its prime to get 4 million ahead.  It would need to move December numbers every month from here on out in order to do that.  Every month that it doesn't sell that, is like another 500k additional units need to be sold the next month to make up for it.

Mr. sickVisionz said:
Megadude said:

That's flat out ludicrous.  It'd have to put up sales numbers that blow away the Wii in its prime to get 4 million ahead.  It would need to move December numbers every month from here on out in order to do that.  Every month that it doesn't sell that, is like another 500k additional units need to be sold the next month to make up for it.

chritmas baby... if the slim models comes around september. its likely to have for less 4 million by march 2010

especially FF13 GT5 God Of war 3, hitting right after it other all around the world.

sony have the time  for the perfect storm, they just need to be able to price cut.