By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo’s Core games aren't hitting the mark anymore

SUPABRETT said:
This article is nothing but a hit grab. So much stupid in there.

Why so he can generate ad revenue? Oh wait...

Around the Network
liquidninja said:
SUPABRETT said:
This article is nothing but a hit grab. So much stupid in there.

Why so he can generate ad revenue? Oh wait...

A hit grab is an atricle that has no value other than attracting console defenders to flood your web site. If hed had a good article it wouldn't be a hit grab.

Some gaming blogger should just do a weekly series of nintendo bashing articles, no mater how dumb they are stupid fans will give him hits.

Silly, imo. SMG is the best game on the Wii, and without it...well, it's more important to the Wii than MGS4 is to the PS3. It is the only real Wii exclusive game that I consider excellent(with the exception of metroid and fire emblem).

To destroy that game, in an attempt to appeal to some meaningless core group of nostalgia based fanboys is ignorant.

Nintendo, with your core games, keep putting out good stuff, not stuff you think will sell well. Those supposed core gamers don't matter to you anyway.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@SUPABRETT

You're the only person I've ever heard accuse Malstrom of bashing Nintendo.

Core games aren't hitting the mark anymore, because they rarely release them anymore. The ones that got advertised succeeded, the ones sent to die with no advertising, hype and surprise announcements failed, and bad at it. Besides, the Wii is being mostly advertised as a casual console, so I doubt many people are buying Wii's to play core games. It's time for them to start targeting for the Blue Ocean audience, rather than the new audience only.

It's simple, their core games fail because no one is interested in them, not even core gamers. We know nothing about them and then they are never advertised so who is going to buy them? We saw that during 2006, 2007 and early 2008 core games were succeeding on the Wii, but then Nintendo adopted that new "no info before release" strategy and that "no announcemnt until the game is on the shelves" strategy that killed any chance of new IP's or core games to succeed. Add to that the "no ads because core gamers already know about the game" strategy, and ther you have it, extremely limited target audience who at the same time doesn't know anything about the game. It's like buying a surprise box without knowing what's inside.

Since mid 2008 thay have literally done this to all their core and more traditional games, so many gamers chose to migrate to another console (I know this from experience) that offered more games, or at least apparently did, because most Nintendo games remained unknown and many times unreleased in the West. Their strategy concerning core games is terrible, they couldn't even manage to sell Punch-Out in Europe and they said they targeted at the Nº 1 spot with it on the release date... the game didn't even appear on the top 40.

I don't know but as time passes by and as Nintendo sees that core games are no longer viable, and mostly due to their negligence and lack of care, we will start to see them catering to the newest audience more and more, who does buy their games, but because those games DO GET ADVERTISED AND PROMOTED HEAVILY. I don't want this to happen obviously, and that's why I'm so pissed. But if people feel that their time with Nintendo is over, they will undoubtedly move on. I say this E3 is their last chance before it's too late, because if they lose many of their core and loyal supporters, by next gen the casuals will be very hard to convince unless there's a huge new innovation and other companies don't offer a better deal.

Good luck Nintendo, for the last time.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Mythos? Mario has a mythos?

Sounds more to me like yet another fanboy whining because people different from him are getting interested in "his" games. Evolve or get left behind.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

liquidninja said:

@bardicverse
He never said "hitting the mark" I was paraphrasing.

Also like famousringo was saying he was wasn't talking about sales but popularity.
The older Mario games had much better customer reception. I don't really know much about Zelda but I think Ocarina Of Time is still seen as the last great Zelda game.

Sales comparisons between the NES and Wii are unfair because of population growth and the advent of world wide launches.

One question - How do you gage sales vs popularity? Wouldnt a popular game sell well?

lets see Twilight Princess has nearly 7 million sold, and SMG has what 8 million or so.

Yea damnit Nintendo is screwed, no one is buying their games anymore. There is no way they made any profit off of those two games.

@bardicverse

Yes, I would gage popularity by sales.

17+ million sales is what I would guess is a popular Mario game (that isn't bundled).

That's hugely unrealistic. SMB3 was a convergence of many things that allowed it to hit 17 million, or whatever it was in sales. There was a movie that even advertised the game, at the peak of the NES's ferver.

SMB 2 never sold that many copies. It only sold 7.46m, which Galaxy has zipped past.

Super Mario World sold 20.61m, but had the advantage of being packed in with the SNES at the launch. Take that away, and Galaxy has probably outsold it.

Twilight Princess is the second best selling Zelda of all time, and may end up being the top selling Zelda.

So again, your arguments/his arguments make no sense.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!