By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it fun to just... play? - The Massive Sales Potential Thread

Thinking really closely as to what it is about a game that makes it become an absolutely huge selling game... what exactly is it about all these games that can manage these massive sales, and what is it that sets them apart from anything else?

You look through a lot of lists and you can really drill down to the individual reasons for certain games to sell so well... they appeal this or that demographic or this character is this mainstream and can do this, this and this.

There are all of those details which factor into massive sales, however I realised something the other day... the something that gives those top selling games the driving factor.... the reason that they are picked up by such a large number of people... and that is simple.

It is fun to just control the character - It is fun to simply play the game without any goals.

So I decided to have a look at the top selling games (these are listed in the order they appear there as I came across them) of all time and i've taken a few excerpts which are good examples of this throughout that list.

1. Super Mario Bros. 2D series - the ULTIMATE example its simply fun to just run and jump and is still played to this day over and over - *tick*

2. Tetris. - still played massively to this game, addicitive and enjoyable just to drop blocks - *tick*

3. Nintendogs - while not for me, and probably not for most people here its un-doubted that it sells so well because so many people just like to pick up and play it, heck there is really nothing to do in the game but play with your dog - *tick*

4. Grand Theft Auto3 series - definitely, most people get this game to just run around jacking cars and killing people not to do the missions I'm willing to bet less than 25% of owners have completed each of the games - *tick*

5. Super Mario 64 - the 3D version of above, yet I don't think it got it quite as well as the original 2D games, 3D is too daunting and complicated for a lot of people - *tick*

8. Wii Sports - the sole reason of Wii's current success - *tick*

9. Halo Series - ultimate selling games on 360, many people enjoy just blasting baddies over and over - *tick*

10. Sonic 2D Series - fun to run fast, I've personally played just the first two levels of Sonic 2 more than 500 times each, its just fun to play - *tick*

Simply put the games listed above make up parts of the best selling games of all time. What is the one thing they have in common? They are all relatively simple so that a large number of people fit into the mold and they are all insanely fun to just play and interact with the game world in most cases.

So where does this lead us now? Well how does that affect this generation?
I think a lot of developers don't take this idea into account, they think abou thow they must create these massive involving storylines with all of these features and to do all of these things... but in the end a lot of the games miss the mark completely.

I think developers should begin a project from the ground up like that, make a game and an engine that is insanely fun to just 'mess about' in and then add the story and the modes and the levels to flesh it out and give people heaps of people lots of places to have fun in.

It is where Sega missed the mark with 3D sonic games, they forgot what the fun was all about and tried to make a 'cool' 'fast' Sonic game because that's what they thought he was all about... frankly - I think they could make a better Sonic game with just sonic, take away all his bullshit ring dash homing attack bullshit moves and allow him to run and jump with and awesome physics engine and some crazy areas - make it fun to control sonic, then make the levels.

I know it sounds rediculously simple and perhaps overly simple... simply saying 'its fun' but this is the idea that I think Nintendo have gotten right with the Wii - and perhaps I think this is how Miyamoto designs most of his games.

So what games that are upcoming in this generation that have this kind of ability and perhaps impact? There really aren't many... and unfortunately it seems that they are all sequels of some of the above games.

1. Mario Galaxy

2. Grand Theft Auto 4

3. Halo 3

Thats it.

I'm not saying that games apart from these will get pretty massive sales, but these three games alone will eclipse everything else that everyone else has made public at this stage of this generation. I'm also sure this thread will have people saying 'well what about this game and what about this game' and its probably good to have some perspective and get recommendations from other people that can see other games that fit the mould this gen.

Where this leaves us console wise?

Wii
I think Nintendo have picked up on this idea very well, they try and talk about it all the time and get crucified for making games to casual and forgetting the hardcore - but this is why I think the Wii will win this generation, because the emphasis behind the Wii is finding those new ways to just simple make it fun.

Xbox360
Microsoft certainly are in a good position at the moment to come second... they've got one of the biggest Halo 3 and then perhaps the biggest game this generation GTAIV which is multiplatform. Public perception and which console to buy GTAIV for when it comes out? Who knows where it will be at the time but Microsoft also have Halo 3 to pull consumers

PS3
PS3 only has a multiplatform game in GTAIV at this stage, I'm going to probably get crucified by PS3 fans for this but that's all I believe there is. I was going to dispute other games for the category by listing and saying they aren't but that's not what this thread is about. LBP might fit this mould but I'm not sure yet.

Sorry for such a long thread, but DISCUSS!

Around the Network

good read and well thought out. you said mario galaxy, gta4 and halo3 are the only upcoming games that have that kind of ability... i reckon it would be fair to say ssbb will fit that mould too ;)

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

See while I was writing the post I was considering whether to include SSBB or not... I'm still not sure or not.

It is fun, but to me it doesn't have that simple just play play play fun that I'm talking about with the above titles...

But when I think about it perhaps that's main driving force behind Super Smash Bros and its ability to sell so well, it's just fun mindless brawling and thats what makes it sell so well... I just don't think it fits the idea.

I think SSBB will be big, but Origin is right not to include it with the other three. What Sony does have is FFXIII, MGS4 and LBP. On their own none of these games come close to the three you mentioned, but combined together they pull some weight

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I'd put Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13 on the list based on previous sales for games in those franchises.

Around the Network

pokemon? (main games at least)

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Legend11 said:
I'd put Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13 on the list based on previous sales for games in those franchises.

Did you read what I was saying about the games?? Gran Turismo 5... MAYBE but I think that fits with SSBB I'm not sure if its just 'fun to race' perhaps it is but I don't think its at that point... 

I don't dispute that both of these games will sell large numbers but they aren't really near the games that I mentioned unfortunately.  FF13 fits in NO WHERE about being 'just fun to play' Final Fantasy games require devotion and time... GT5 is similar.

When I was looking at Pokemon as well I didn't include it because I don't think it fits the notion... again no doubt that the franchise is always going to move massive numbers but it's no there because it's just fun to run around and battle pokemon...  

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics might also fit in this list. Should be very fun, accessible to all and with 3 very identifiable trademarks that all appeal broadly (Mario/Sonic/Olympics). Could be a lot of fun to play alone to beat your records or against friends where it'll shine.

Ahh yes, good pick!!! I would almost agree with that yeah...

To be honest with you, I like 3D platformers more than 2D platformers, and yes, that includes 3D Sonic games (Dreamcast ones only. Nothing after that), over the classic 2D Sonic games. Anyways, for me, every generation of video games have about the same number of games that I like. I don't know how you think Super Mario 64 lost some of its classic Mario Bros. madness, since I think it's one of the greatest, if not, the greatest game of all time. I always enjoyed Bust-A-Move, more so than Tetris. And Super Smash Bros., and Super Smash Bros. Melee, are the only fighting games I like. I almost can't stand anything else. I'll be happy to welcome Super Smash Bros. Brawl into my small collection of fighting games. Mario Kart is also really fun. Halo is fun too. But yeah, there's a lot of fun games out there. Too many to count. But there's also a lot of garbage out there... A lot... And that's what ticks me off...