By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The day the PS3 overtakes the XBox 360 in total sales

Derek said:
Jo21 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
PS3beats360 said:

That will be the happiest day in my life. So who is looking forward to this great defining moment?

I believe within 2 years PS3 will have overtaken the XBox 360 in console sales. Just you all wait and see. PS3 has more room to drop the console price over the coming years, it has more exclusive games, greater storage capacities with Blu-Ray and a longer future due to Blu-Ray being the long lasting media format.

I am so looking forward to the PS3 total sales overtaking 360 total sales. Many people just like me will be celebrating when PS3 overtakes the 360 and some of us will be saying: "I told you so"

PS3 and  following Sony is a religion to some, just like me.

The PS3 needs to outsell the Xbox360 by 77k every single week, starting today to achieve this. And in 2 years, the Xbox360 userbase will be like 45-50 million. That is more than enough to guarantee 3rd party support. And in 2011 the Xbox360 will be on the market for 6 years. The Xbox 3 won't be too far away at this point.it

it doesn't have to do it in 2 years. 360 probably be discoutined first, sony have tons of first party studios to stay afloat at least enough to cut what will remain fro the 360 lead.

You have over 5,000 posts.  I would have figured that since you're still here, you're capable of some degree of logic.  Apparently, I was wrong.  My apologies.

there is a whole bunch of it behind it, since the ps3 have sold way faster the 360 did if you align launches, more chances for price c

cuts and still a strong First party support coming.

it's likely it will remain for at least a year more than 360.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scei.co.jp%2Fcorporate%2Fdata%2Fabout.html&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

This is the data which MikeB is referring to. Obviously something in the translation is wrong because according to this the PS1 would have sold 2 billion consoles within the same time frame as the PS3. However, the numbers are likely in "10k units" as if you look at the total and multiply by 10k you get 102 million PS1's. So, according to MikeB the PS3 is tracking 9 million ahead of the PS1, yet the PS1 had 28 million consoles sold at the end of 1997 (same time frame as current PS3 sales at the end of 2008), which shows the PS3 is tracking 8 million behind overall worldwide.

December 31, 1997 -

1,005 -

1,035 -

2,820 x 10k = 28 million

Where in the world did you get your flawed data, MikeB as even the data from your source proves you wrong.

Well no, actually it looks like MikeB was right, but in a crazzyman type of way.  PS1 launched dec 3 1994 in Japan and September 1995 in the west.  PS3 launched in November 2006 so the comparable timeframe would be march 1997.  Problem that it is like comparing PS2 to PS3 launch, except that is is even more unfair because PS was a completely new brand and it was under the cloud of N64 until people realized it was PS that had many of the games. 
If you do the comparison fairly and align launches with each region you get the PS1 ahead. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Blood_Tears said:
Carl2291 said:
Lol...

I agree with another post.

Its like "The Xbox Man"s alter-ego

LOL    it's funny though cause i am imagining twin brothers in seperate rooms, The Xbox Man in one and this guy in the other making out with there console  haha.

LOL

well when it starts outselling the 360 for more than a wek or two at a time then we will talk but this sounds alot like a fanboy ranting about something that will probably never happen. And what does it matter honestly?? 3rd place is fine because there is a good install base for all 3

Long Live SHIO!

nightsurge said:
nightsurge said:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scei.co.jp%2Fcorporate%2Fdata%2Fabout.html&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

This is the data which MikeB is referring to. Obviously something in the translation is wrong because according to this the PS1 would have sold 2 billion consoles within the same time frame as the PS3. However, the numbers are likely in "10k units" as if you look at the total and multiply by 10k you get 102 million PS1's. So, according to MikeB the PS3 is tracking 9 million ahead of the PS1, yet the PS1 had 28 million consoles sold at the end of 1997 (same time frame as current PS3 sales at the end of 2008), which shows the PS3 is tracking 8 million behind overall worldwide.

December 31, 1997 -

1,005 -

1,035 -

2,820 x 10k = 28 million

Where in the world did you get your flawed data, MikeB as even the data from your source proves you wrong.

To expand on this and to further get MikeB's attention:

MikeB said:

The PS3 is currently tracking about 9 million units ahead of the PS1 taking equal timeframes

Equal time frames would be from 1995 to 1997 and 2006 to 2008.

According to the data from MikeB's own link he gave us, the PS1 had shipped 28 million at the end of 1997.  The PS3 data from the site doesn't even include the entire 2008 year yet, so how was mike "comparing shipments" without this shipment information?

Without the full shipment data for the PS3, it is safe to assume VGChartz numbers are more than accurate and give the PS3 ~20 million units shipped at the end of 2008.  That means that the PS3 is tracking 8 million BEHIND the PS1, not 9 million above as MikeB stated.

Good work.  Thanks for helping out with this.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
MikeB said:
The PS3 is currently tracking about 9 million units ahead of the PS1 taking equal timeframes (so IMO more than acceptable from a 10 years lifespan perspective), IMO it needs a drop in entry pricing and games like Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII available to push the 360 into the background, like I said so a couple of years ago.

A long time ago, I stated that I expect a slimline PS3 for 2009 and if the recent evidence holds up I might end up being correct. Maybe we'll also hear more information about these two crucial games at E3.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Mirson said:

I'm very disappointed with Sony. I mean, I was expecting the best and most powerful machine on the market today yet a lot of multiplats are inferior, and the PS3 has been losing its big exclusives. Sony lied. This is how it all started. It's an informative segment.

This needs to be quoted again.

Anyways and back on topic, it's just like football supporters, just nerdier. The referee always favors the other team, rivals are sworn enemies, the club is always right and always has a chance at winning at the start of the league, etc etc. Then things eventually get derailed, alcohol is added to the mix and finally there's property destruction (internet trolling).

kowenicki said:
Ausfalcon said:
kowenicki said:
The most illuminating aspect of this thread..... ps3beats360 is almost 30 years old.... 30 years old!!! and yet the PS3 passing the 360 would be the happiest day of his life? My god. What a sad sad life.

No gf? no wife? no kids? Man you need to get some help... quick.

I'm beggining to think that maybe some people on here post from inside a secure unit.

That may explain PS3beats360.  But MikeB supposedly gets out, why just the other day he logged in right after going out drinking and posted a bunch of crap while drunk.    Whats his excuse?

really?  that thread must be gold... where is it????

Look a bit before and a bit after this post:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2101309

He hurls at least four insults.

Also mentioned here:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=28162&forum=4&start=340&viewmode=flat&order=0#490807

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)

nightsurge said:
nightsurge said:

December 31, 1997 -

1,005 -

1,035 -

2,820 x 10k = 28 million

MikeB said:

The PS3 is currently tracking about 9 million units ahead of the PS1 taking equal timeframes

According to the data from MikeB's own link he gave us, the PS1 had shipped 28 million at the end of 1997.  The PS3 data from the site doesn't even include the entire 2008 year yet, so how was mike "comparing shipments" without this shipment information?

Without the full shipment data for the PS3, it is safe to assume VGChartz numbers are more than accurate and give the PS3 ~20 million units shipped at the end of 2008.  That means that the PS3 is tracking 8 million BEHIND the PS1, not 9 million above as MikeB stated.

@johnsobas

Even if I remove 2 million for the Japan early launch and just count the worldwide release the PS1 is at least 5-6 million ahead in equal time frames.  The main point though, is that MikeB was way off in his "PS3 tracking 9 million higher than PS1 in equal time frames" statement and even the data he claims to have used shows otherwise.

@theRepublic

Thank you   Just took a few minutes of google webpage translator.

PeteyPeeps said:

PS: whats with the fan boy hatred these days ... i mean, everyone is a fanboy is some form or another ... Deal with it, both consoles are good, ps3 has great aspects, and the 360 has some good aspects * mainly the Jrpg's they stole from sony*

What im trying to say is ... Every console is great ... Exept the wii LOL :p havent played mine in like 6 months ... Buy little King Story btw, bought that and its finally a good wii game

What the Hell are you talking about..if Sony makes a JRPG there is now way MS can steal it....If you mean Third Party Games....PS# is In third Place Deal with it...Onwing a PS2 has nothing to do with anything....

nightsurge said:
nightsurge said:
nightsurge said:

December 31, 1997 -

1,005 -

1,035 -

2,820 x 10k = 28 million

MikeB said:

@johnsobas

Even if I remove 2 million for the Japan early launch and just count the worldwide release the PS1 is at least 5-6 million ahead in equal time frames.  The main point though, is that MikeB was way off in his "PS3 tracking 9 million higher than PS1 in equal time frames" statement and even the data he claims to have used shows otherwise.

@theRepublic

Thank you   Just took a few minutes of google webpage translator.

that's why i said he was right in a crazzyman sort of way, we all knew the PS2 comparison was unfair and it was gonna lead to an epic in a few months, and this is no different.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X