By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

good to see max king of trolls and crazzyman defending the undefensible once again.

So so sad.....kz2 was hailed as the second coming .... it sold poorly sonsidering the 4 YEARS of development and ENDLESS HYPE from sony.

Just face the facts and admit it, maybe I will actually have some respect for you.

Around the Network
TheTruthProphet said:
Quite possibly the best selling game disappointment ever.

On average 677,000 in US sales would be a great thing but with a development budget nearing blockbuster movie status....it's incredibly disappointing.

Considering the immense amount of money that was invested in Killzone 2 over the 4-5 years that it's been in development, it should be much better than it is.

ESPECIALLY IN THE USA .....LAND OF THE SHOOTERS.

That looks very familiar, hehe.    Who are you on GI.biz?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Zucas said:
outlawauron said:
Zucas said:
outlawauron said:
Zucas said:
MrBubbles said:
they shouldnt have released the demo. the poor controls and aiming turned people off, reducing the sales.

Well at least someone understands it wasn't the greatest thing to hit the planet since Super Mario Bros.  Sure it was a good game but my goodness people have some modesty. 

Sales so far aren't that bad considering sales have been pretty slow lately overall.  PAL sales seem to be holding a lot better.  Maybe in America it can hold til October/November timeframe and get some boosts.  But then it will be competing with Modern Warfare 2 so who knows.

Who thinks this exactly?

@ TheTruthProphet

This posts looks very stupid because the rest of the thread has been discussing for quite some time. And KZ2 did not take 4 years to develop.

Oh don't act innocent.  Lying to me never gets anyone anywhere.

Wait, you seriously think I think that KZ2 is the greatest thing since Super Mario Bros? Really?

Well if you got that from my post then you seriously need to re-read it.  Because obviously you took it the wrong way.  Not my fault haha.  For some help remember what your question to me was.  Then look at my response.  There was never a "you" mentioned.

It was an implied you. I asked you a question, and you told me to not act innocent. And that I was lying to you.

But seriously, who thinks that. I don't it's "finally someone understands" but more so who's the village idiot.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Zucas said:
outlawauron said:
Zucas said:
outlawauron said:
Zucas said:
MrBubbles said:
they shouldnt have released the demo. the poor controls and aiming turned people off, reducing the sales.

Well at least someone understands it wasn't the greatest thing to hit the planet since Super Mario Bros.  Sure it was a good game but my goodness people have some modesty. 

Sales so far aren't that bad considering sales have been pretty slow lately overall.  PAL sales seem to be holding a lot better.  Maybe in America it can hold til October/November timeframe and get some boosts.  But then it will be competing with Modern Warfare 2 so who knows.

Who thinks this exactly?

@ TheTruthProphet

This posts looks very stupid because the rest of the thread has been discussing for quite some time. And KZ2 did not take 4 years to develop.

Oh don't act innocent.  Lying to me never gets anyone anywhere.

Wait, you seriously think I think that KZ2 is the greatest thing since Super Mario Bros? Really?

Well if you got that from my post then you seriously need to re-read it.  Because obviously you took it the wrong way.  Not my fault haha.  For some help remember what your question to me was.  Then look at my response.  There was never a "you" mentioned.

It was an implied you. I asked you a question, and you told me to not act innocent. And that I was lying to you.

But seriously, who thinks that. I don't it's "finally someone understands" but more so who's the village idiot.

Well the don't act innocent thing, which apparently you haven't figured out, was about knowing that people think that.  Because people thought something around that when it was releasing.  I remember very vividly around and shortly after KZ2 launch.  Was not a good place to be when you had reasonable opinions by the way. 

My bro has KZ2 and I've played it for a good hour or.  Game is pretty good... better than my initial impressions.  I'd rate in the mid to low 8s.  But for the hype that once existed for this game and things people said about it... wow just wow.  From what I've played 677,000 sales in the U.S and well over a million WW seems pretty for the game.

nen-suer said:
@Pyramid Head

We were hyped for the quality not the sales

LOL....Yeah...The minority of People that have a PS3 sure were...I wonder did the Majority even know that game was coming out?

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Munkeh111 said:
NJ5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

1 question, If Sony only got $25 per copy then the retailers is profiting $35 per copy?

That's pretty big profit from the retailers IMO.

No, there's also distributors, taxes and manufacturing of discs/boxes/manuals eating money.

Do they get about $25 as Sony, and about $20 as a third party, (Sony knick $5)? Are those roughly the right figures?

shipping doesnt cost anything. a big box could hold quite a few games with it costi split up between them. and material? are you shitting me? most expensive part is the disc which sony buys in bulk.... and manufactures themselves so they wont have to pay the extra costs.

So Sony Gets free gas cuz of teh Cell?......Shipping is one of the most expensive parts...

Uncharted sold 122k in first month in US and that during November.
Now, after 1,5 years the game is on the way to 1 mln. copies.

PS3 games usually sell in long run, not during first months, except maybe some strong BRAND games.

700k for KZ2 is ok, it should have sold better, but it`s a matter of time, when game will reach 2-3 mln. in US. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

theRepublic said:
I found what I was looking for, and it seems my memory was off a bit.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/13078821/Zack__Wiki_didnt_make_money?num=10&pg=1

BengaBenga (the same one as on this site) states that Forbes has estimated that a publisher gets approx $28 for a $60 game. I would assume that it is a little higher for first party publishers and a little lower for second party publishers. That is due to the licensing fees that are charged to third party publishers.

So, assuming $30 (could be more like $31-$33) per game and 2 million copies shipped, that means somewhere around $60 million in revenue for Killzone 2. That would mean that it is a profitable game.

By those calculations sony Would have to Ship another Million copies *Not in bundles* to make a profit...Or made a marginal Profit already

CrazzyMan said:
So, when KZ2 will succeed in cracking 1 mln. in US, what will be the point of THIS thread? :)

Time buddy...it will show the time...Kinda Like a clock....

^ Too bad those calculations are wrong... and how much are you assuming the game cost? 150million?