By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - As you grow older, do you gravitate towards handhelds?

Comcast sent me a free DS, and I'm lovin' it.

Around the Network
Quickdraw McGraw said:
If you're looking into puzzle games, check out Crush for PSP, as well as the upcoming EchoChrome.

I must also recommend Crush.  One of the games I have on the PSP that I really like, I actually have kept it instead of swapping it for something else.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

Fuzzmosis said:
My natural advice for gaming is get a DS.

However, if you want a gaming system that doubles as a mp3 player/video player/rom case, get the psp. After you've got your mp3 collection, a few simpsons episodes on it, and every from the SNES era on it, you can still buy and play games like... well, I'll let a psp owner say good games on the system.

Though if you have no time for gaming, why buy another system unless you have 2 hours in transit where you want to kill.

i agree, especially that last line. think about were/when you'll have an opportunity to play. also, i would probably have to recommend the ds, unless you want to get into the multimedia aspects of the psp.

I play both my DS and PSP equally, but both for different reasons.

My DS is nothing but a game system, but it excels at that. I have tons of games on it of various genres and I really enjoy it.

My PSP is nothing but a game system as well, but I use it primarily as a way to play roms of the old games I own. I love my old games, but I live in a tiny apartment and couldn't bring them all with me. I also have some original games for my PSP, which I enjoy as well. I just can't find as many original games I want for it as I can for the DS. However, if you like handheld sports, racing, and shooters with crappy controls, then you'll find plenty. My favorite genres are RPGs, Platformers, and Action-Adventure games, which the PSP is a bit lacking in.

So, I would say it really depends on what you like. Both are great consoles, and I'm really glad that I own both.

FreeTalkLive rocks! said:

I bought 2 games for my GBA in the last year (none the year before) and enjoy using it when I travel. For example, I'm gonna be in the car for 6 hours one day next month and I will be taking it. I'll likely buy a new iPod next Christmas, sell my GBA, and buy a few games for the iPod (it already comes with 3) and never get a DS or PSP. I don't really know anyone that has turned to handheld as they got older, maybe people 30+ do that when they buy a DS for Brain Age.

I totally forgot about the IPOD. I was thinking about getting a new one eventually and I forgot it now comes with games. That would be perfect. This way I can use it for gaming wherever I go and then also use the Wii when others are around in my house or when I want to play a game at home. Is it just the classic IPOD that comes with games or is the Nano and the IPOD touch for games too?

Thanks everyone else for your opinions though. You guys were right I guess, why buy another gaming system when i barely have time for games. I will get the IPOD and buy a few games for Wii, whenever an interesting title appears. 

Around the Network

I definitely spend more time on my DS now than I do on my Wii. But that's probably more to do with being married than getting older. I get to play DS everyday on my way to work and back. Wii is out of the question during the week cause the wife won't appreciate us being apart the whole day only for me to come back home to play video games. So we have to use TV to do something we can both do which basically means watching TV. Occassionaly we would play Wii Sports but that's more likely to be when we have guests. So there's only time for Wii at weekends when she's out. Which leaves me worried about what will happen when Galaxy and Brawl come out. I guess I would just have to put my foot down and tell her to put up with me playing non-stop - either watch or join in.

sam12 said:

I totally forgot about the IPOD. I was thinking about getting a new one eventually and I forgot it now comes with games. That would be perfect. This way I can use it for gaming wherever I go and then also use the Wii when others are around in my house or when I want to play a game at home. Is it just the classic IPOD that comes with games or is the Nano and the IPOD touch for games too?

Both the new Nano and new Classic come with 3 games.  http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/games/  The Touch cannot play iTunes games but if you go wifi with it you can play some online games.  I am hoping that it allows games by the time I may get it (a while from know).  Right now there are 6 games that may be played on the newer iPods and there are 17 games that may be played in the old iPod Video.  My guess is, new games will stop coming out for the old iPod Video but continue coming out for new iPods.  And the games are only $5.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Well I noticed that myself, but not just with consoles but gaming itself. I'm getting a bit less interested. Of course I still go wow for some games but maybe less than I was before... I think it's called growing up. Perhaps Wii will be my last console... Maybe I'll still buy quick to go handhelds. I don't really know.

I don't think growing up and time have anything to do with wanting to game on a console. It has more to do with your schedule in life and how you naturally prefer to game.

I stay up late in the evening so gaming on a console fits in as the rest of my household is asleep by 10 pm... I usually stay up until 1 am gaming. Also, I have some pretty high end electronics so, gaming is at a different level in my entertainment rooms then it would be on a small TV with limited sound capabilities. Also, I think it depends whether you look at games as a way to fill time or a way to immerse yourself.

I don't think growing up and time have anything to do with wanting to game on a console. It has more to do with your schedule in life and how you naturally prefer to game.

I stay up late in the evening so gaming on a console fits in as the rest of my household is asleep by 10 pm... I usually stay up until 1 am gaming. Also, I have some pretty high end electronics so, gaming is at a different level in my entertainment rooms then it would be on a small TV with limited sound capabilities. Also, I think it depends whether you look at games as a way to fill time or a way to immerse yourself.