By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RAGE will be the next huge FPS IP

From the creator of Quake and Doom... RAGE looks like a post-apocalyptic FPS with a lot of combat racing thrown in. Takes place in a setting much like the movie "The Hills Have Eyes". The previews show amazing graphics and character design.

Taking the developers pedigree into account... I think it's safe to say that RAGE will be the next huge FPS IP.

anyone else looking forward to this game? I think it will blow people away at E3, even though nobody is talking about it right now.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

Around the Network

I'm really anticipating it. The screens we have seen look really intriguing. Seems like it will have a kick ass setting.

I'm not very clear on the gameplay, though. Hopefully we'll find out more soon.

I just watched the trailer at IGN... wow, they really are ripping off...erhm... using "The Hills Have Eyes" as inspiration for this game.

Looks really cool though. I like the colorful artstyle rather than the typical dark artstyle used in Gears and KZ.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

You are going to be dissapointed.

I'd not seen that Fame and Glory trailer before. It looks amazing.

Agreed on the brightness and colors. After playing some Silent Hill: Homecoming this morning, I realized how fucking sick I am of not being able to see what's going on in games this generation. Ugh.

Around the Network
gergroy said:

explain...

Due to it's low/no profile, this game could make a huge splash at E3. Trailer is good but I guess we have to wait another 2 weeks or so for gameplay vids. 360/Pc version is 2 disc, PS3 1 Blu-Ray...

Playing: Borderlands(great co-op,HUGE amount of content),Too Human(better late than never lol),Saints Row 3(Penetrator ftw),Minecraft 360,Harry Potter Lego. 

Patiently waiting for:  Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

infamous8 said:
gergroy said:

explain...

You talk about the pedigree of ID as if they've been churning out AAA titles for the last decade, which they haven't.  ID are without doubt incredible at building game engines and Rage's will be fantastic but that doesn't guarantee a good game.  While the Doom 3 engine (ID Tech4?) was revolutionary at the time (although Source stole it's limelight), the final game was simply good and certainly not a classic.  Quake 4 they farmed out to Raven Software and I cannot personally remember any huge games since then from the doors of ID Software. 

While the poster was being pessimistic to the extreme he does have a point that this may not prove to be anything other than a stunning looking yet average shooter.  I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong though and hopefully I've explained my opinion in a way that matches the previous posters thoughts too.

I'm not so sure. ID is a good developer and all, but after Doom 3 and Quake 4 I'm not as confident in them. Their graphics are absolutely amazing but the gameplay of their recent titles has taken a nosedive. Doom 3, a high overrated game, was definitely scary but the gameplay was truly bland in comparison of the original which was both creepy and fun. Ten years and not only did they not improve the gameplay but they actually made it worse. I really hope Rage redeems ID, but I think they've forgotten what makes a good game.

PSN- vykk8930    currently playing RE5 Mercenaries

I donno they combine FPS with racing. If it's a good FPS game why does it need racing? Hmmm.. when it's released there are not so many FPS games and ID software, is pretty solid. For me it's a Racing FPS combo.

Actually I like these combo's it's advanced gaming.