By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS3 starter pack unveiled

Parokki said:
They're still rather putting more and more stuff at the same price, rather than lowering the price? Do these guys even understand why their console is selling badly?

But you have to realize that they can bundle this stuff without increasing cost. Sony obviously wants to give a better value to the customer, but they can't afford to drop the price because the cost is so high. This bundle probably costs them very little to offer a very high value. For example, the bundle can have a single retailer cost of, say, $12 or so, instead of $5+ per game, per accessory and $12 for the system.

The biggest problem is that they're not including any good games with this bundle.  Put a triple-A top title in with your bundle.  They need a Super Mario World or something like that. 

Around the Network

Some people are getting really annoying... Yes Hus, I'm looking at you. You probably want to be the only person posting on the Sony forum, where you would have thousands of topics which don't refer to any news about Sony, since anyone commenting on negative news is considered a wii60 troll by you?

Seriously man, you're getting way too annoying... Let people discuss things, especially when they aren't engaging in fanboyish arguments...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

TheBigFatJ said:

The biggest problem is that they're not including any good games with this bundle. Put a triple-A top title in with your bundle. They need a Super Mario World or something like that.

I disagree.  They've included a racing game, shooter game, and action game.  The bundle is good for diversity. 

Putting a AAA game in there could be a bad idea.  People who buy the bundle would likely buy the AAA games separately and I'm guessing Sony would make more money that way.

I like packins myself. I mean I was angry when videogame consoles stopped coming with games.

Of course that's because i'll play just about any game once.

Wish they'd replace Motorstorm though, didn't like that game at all. They should replace that with Warhawk, it would give people incentive to put their systems online.

Hus said:
did not take long for the wii60 trolls to hit.
They're not trolling when they state the truth....the PS3 DOES need a real price drop to sell better.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
Parokki said:
They're still rather putting more and more stuff at the same price, rather than lowering the price? Do these guys even understand why their console is selling badly?

But you have to realize that they can bundle this stuff without increasing cost. Sony obviously wants to give a better value to the customer, but they can't afford to drop the price because the cost is so high. This bundle probably costs them very little to offer a very high value. For example, the bundle can have a single retailer cost of, say, $12 or so, instead of $5+ per game, per accessory and $12 for the system.

The biggest problem is that they're not including any good games with this bundle.  Put a triple-A top title in with your bundle.  They need a Super Mario World or something like that. 

They don't want to give better value to the consumers... they want to sell more PS3s. 

Kasz216 said:
I like packins myself. I mean I was angry when videogame consoles stopped coming with games.

Of course that's because i'll play just about any game once.

Wish they'd replace Motorstorm though, didn't like that game at all. They should replace that with Warhawk, it would give people incentive to put their systems online.

What Sony needs, is they need a game that the vast majority of PS3 owners will want, and they need to pack it in. It's something that will cost them in sales they'd probably have made, but packing in saves money (for one, the retail cost) anyhow. Basically, they're trading lower profit for less cost.

But they need a killer game to bundle. An FPS might be a great bundle for the 360, but not the PS3.

They don't want to give better value to the consumers... they want to sell more PS3s.

These are not mutually exclusive. In fact, it's the opposite -- if a customer sees a better value, that customer is more likely to buy the PS3. Perhaps you're right in saying that they don't care about the value they're giving to customers, but rather the perception of value.

Maybe they should swap out Motorstorm for Madden '08.  Obviously, it would be a better deal for most customers.

maybe GT5 prologue ?

Time to Work !

I immediately had two separate thoughts when I read this article -- one positive for the PS3, one negative.

1) This will definitely sell more PS3s, whether people here want to admit it or not. Not as much as a 100 dollar price drop, obviously, but Heavenly Sword is a new game (not a 6 month old one, as Resistance/Motorstorm were), and the amount of total added value won't be ignored. More people will buy in, and I think it's silly to suggest otherwise.

2) The fact that Sony did NOT opt for an actual price drop suggests that they are, as others have noted, approaching financial limits. Adding Heavenly Sword as a pack in will probably have 1/4 the impact that an actual 50-100 dollar price drop would have; but it also costs 10 dollars to include (max), instead of actually costing 50-100 unmitigated dollars, as a price drop would. I'm quite sure Sony WANTS to drop the price (look at how much they're packing in there! Three games and an additional controller!), but at this point it seems apparent that they cannot afford to. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I think a price drop will effect the ps3 more so than a starter pack. You would have to look at it like this what about the people who want a ps3 but don't really want the games that come along in the starter pack. A lower price would attract them more so than just buying a ps3 with an extra controller and three games they don't really want.

"Everyone else see's the Joker laugh; only Harley has ever seen him cry."- Arleen Sorkin

In an hour of Darkness a blind man is
the best guide. In an age of Insanity
look to the madman to show the way.
- - Warhammer 40,000 rule book