By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: Is Metal Gear Solid Overrated?

Xen said:
Lol.

MGS2's story is great, I don't get all this "disaster toward the end" crap.

MGS3>all

I don't get it either. Didn't Ocelot explain that the trials you faced in MGS2 was just a clever reconstruction of Shadow Moses (MGS1) by the Patriots? Basically, if MGS2 was a mess, you think MGS1 was also

Around the Network

"Or, you could sum it all up like IGN Features Editor, Ryan Geddes: "Saying Metal Gear Solid is overrated is like playing the Wii. Don't do it unless you want to look stupid." "

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

BMaker11 said:
Xen said:
Lol.

MGS3>all

I don't get it either. Didn't Ocelot explain that the trials you faced in MGS2 was just a clever reconstruction of Shadow Moses (MGS1) by the Patriots? Basically, if MGS2 was a mess, you think MGS1 was also

It was a disaster. Please explain exactly what Campbell was saying to Raiden during their 30 min codec conversation before the fight with Solidus. Unless that part was so confusing to you and others that you just skipped it alltogether.

And how does Vamp go from superhuman bloodsucker to someone with enhanced Nanomachines in MGS4? That made no sense at all. If it was technology that allowed Vamp to run on water, how did Snake not abtain it before then, considering that Mei Ling had access to advanced technology through the SSCEN?

KylieDog said:
coolestguyever said:
Its waaaaayyyyyy overrated. Its only fun if your a fan of the series. Otherwise its pointless. Its an okay movie...err...game.

If anything the fans of the series should dislike it more than anyone else. If you know your MGS story from previous games then MGS4 was an inconsistant mess, either ignoring major things, getting time of events to influence actions wrong and just revealing plot that has no reason that it should of happened, just for the sake of it. Unless it retconned them, which still makes a bad story.

Well, sir, you didn't play the game at all.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

SlumsofOhio said:
BMaker11 said:
Xen said:
Lol.

MGS3>all

It was a disaster. Please explain exactly what Campbell was saying to Raiden during their 30 min codec conversation before the fight with Solidus. Unless that part was so confusing to you and others that you just skipped it alltogether.

And how does Vamp go from superhuman bloodsucker to someone with enhanced Nanomachines in MGS4? That made no sense at all. If it was technology that allowed Vamp to run on water, how did Snake not abtain it before then, considering that Mei Ling had access to advanced technology through the SSCEN?

Bolded: That was one of the most intellectual and mind expanded pieces of dialogue ever presented in modern media. It may have seemed confusing to those who have never picked up a philosophy text book in their lives, but it doesn't make that segment of the game any less profound.

Around the Network
mikescoff said:
SlumsofOhio said:
BMaker11 said:
Xen said:
Lol.

MGS3>all

Bolded: That was one of the most intellectual and mind expanded pieces of dialogue ever presented in modern media. It may have seemed confusing to those who have never picked up a philosophy text book in their lives, but it doesn't make that segment of the game any less profound.

I bet it was, but why Kojima honsetly thought it was necessary to begin with surprises me. Of the millions who bought the game, how many, in your mind, picked up philosophy book? Was it really necessary? Can you imagine how many people saw it and said to themselves "what the hell just happened?". A simple "We are no longer human, we've become A.I." would have gotten the point across.

SlumsofOhio said:
mikescoff said:
SlumsofOhio said:
BMaker11 said:
Xen said:
Lol.

MGS3>all

I bet it was, but why Kojima honsetly thought it was necessary to begin with surprises me. Of the millions who bought the game, how many, in your mind, picked up philosophy book? Was it really necessary? Can you imagine how many people saw it and said to themselves "what the hell just happened?". A simple "We are no longer human, we've become A.I." would have gotten the point across.

Kojima himself had said in past interviews that he makes games not only to entertain, but primarily to teach and educate. He called the philosophical lectures the backbone of his games and what he is trying to create.

I don't think Kojima should have to compromise his idea's for a wider audience. Maybe the audience needs to do more research and avoid his games if they don't like what he is doing. Arguably, as an artist it is not his responsibility to cater to all gamers but rather it is the gamers responsibility to choose the type of games they like rather than complain because of their lack of research.

mikescoff said:
SlumsofOhio said:
mikescoff said:
SlumsofOhio said:
BMaker11 said:
Xen said:
Lol.

MGS3>all

Kojima himself had said in past interviews that he makes games not only to entertain, but primarily to teach and educate. He called the philosophical lectures the backbone of his games and what he is trying to create.

I don't think Kojima should have to compromise his idea's for a wider audience. Maybe the audience needs to do more research and avoid his games if they don't like what he is doing. Arguably, as an artist it is not his responsibility to cater to all gamers but rather it is the gamers responsibility to choose the type of games they like rather than complain because of their lack of research.

Well, I'll agree with the bolded, but he must understand, he caught plenty of people off guard with Raiden, and by doing that he upset plenty of people (not myself). Do you think they were in the right mindset when the Codec scene came up?

If you could, can you provide evidence of similar scenes in other Metal Gear games? MGS1 was great, I watched and heard everything in that game. I just can't bring myself to do it with the others.

SlumsofOhio said:
mikescoff said:
SlumsofOhio said:
mikescoff said:
SlumsofOhio said:
BMaker11 said:
Xen said:
Lol.

MGS3>all

Well, I'll agree with the bolded, but he must understand, he caught plenty of people off guard with Raiden, and by doing that he upset plenty of people (not myself). Do you think they were in the right mindset when the Codec scene came up?

If you could, can you provide evidence of similar scenes in other Metal Gear games? MGS1 was great, I watched and heard everything in that game. I just can't bring myself to do it with the others.

Similar scenes to what? You mean other philosophical lectures in the series?

MGS2 got very creepy in the last part(It was night time when I am playing that part so it adds the scare factor) and I found it enjoyable.

Turn the game console off right now! Raiden, something happened to me last thursday when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go. I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly... Suddenly, there was intense light all around me--when I came to, I was home.

Spoilers: Don't click if you haven't played MGS2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul8j9I90ueM