By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If the PS3 Slim is legit and releases at $299 - What will it do for sales?

I'll get one when it comes out, I'll also be moving into my condo on Pluto around the same time.

Around the Network

hotcakes

RPG said:
This is a thread about a said to be PS3 slim.........you do understand that PS3 production costs will decrease by a huge amount?

Like a broken record kowenicki, playing the same awful song. :(

Sony going after the female demographic with the new pink fuzzy PS3 - confirmed

All joking aside, you are wrong RPG.  A slim model will not decrease production costs by a huge amount.  It will only decrease the costs by a small amount. (and definently not $100)  All the componets that are expensive are going to be the same price as they are in the full size PS3. (The cell, blu-ray, memory, harddrive)  The only places you save money is on the cost of the case and a smaller mainboard.

Any savings that Sony will make on a slim PS3 need to go towards getting the division back to profitability.  I can't imagine that Sony would actually do something that stupid, but now a days you never know.

If the PS3 Slim is legit and releases at $299 Sony would die, instantly. Is that what you want ???? HATER !

Really, a slimmer PS3 would sell much better, finally take over the Japanese market and counter the 360 elsewhere.

BUT :

Sony can't afford it. It would reach a 300$ price at some point but definitely not while its' still bleeding money.

360 is planning on doing the same thing and has both cost and price advantage.

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

JHawkNH said:
RPG said:
This is a thread about a said to be PS3 slim.........you do understand that PS3 production costs will decrease by a huge amount?

Like a broken record kowenicki, playing the same awful song. :(

Sony going after the female demographic with the new pink fuzzy PS3 - confirmed

All joking aside, you are wrong RPG.  A slim model will not decrease production costs by a huge amount.  It will only decrease the costs by a small amount. (and definently not $100)  All the componets that are expensive are going to be the same price as they are in the full size PS3. (The cell, blu-ray, memory, harddrive)  The only places you save money is on the cost of the case and a smaller mainboard.

Any savings that Sony will make on a slim PS3 need to go towards getting the division back to profitability.  I can't imagine that Sony would actually do something that stupid, but now a days you never know.

how do we know they aren't shrinking all the other components too?

Around the Network

50 Million First Week

4 ≈ One

theprof00 said:

how do we know they aren't shrinking all the other components too?

The memory is standard memory, they have no controll over it's size.  In fact if they wanter even smaller memory, they would probably have to pay more for it. (compare desktop and laptop memory prices)

They cannot shrink the blu-ray drive.

The cell (and GPU) are the only main componet that Sony can directly shrink, and those should already be in the full sized PS3's, so you are not saving any money there.

Well we know one thing which is that the Sony E3 conference will be interesting and that too not due to software. Hah and people said Sony has shown all their cards....how silly. :P

It's probably fake but we shall know soon enough, Sony however are kings when it comes to slimming down a console and I can see the slim being when they drop the price of the console. It will come and I think soon, this might not be it but if this is not true I am amazed at how much trouble someone would go through to do this.

Edit - Of course will deny it, the fact that they have gone through the trouble of debunking this shows that there is some truth in this.

Come on people THINK, Sony are expecting a 30% increase in console sales and so far sales are terrible. Sony has something they know will increase sales drastically.

kowenicki said:
UPDATE: Sony has issued a flat denial, telling CVG "We currently don't have any plans for a redesigned PS3." [Gamecolumn (JP) via Kotaku]

Though that is what they should say, true or not.

Otherwise it would kill immediate sales.

They are expecting a 30% growth this year, so they will defnitely do something this year.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).