By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metaforic unveils new anti-copying measures for DS games

Metaforic's Andrew Mclennan, a former game developer frustrated by piracy, spoke to Gamasutra about a new technology his company has created to reduce copying of DS games. Nintendo's tactic so far has been to try to stop the sale of the R4 flashcart in Japan and other countries, but the company is now working with Metaforic to attack the problem from a different angle.

Metaforic's MetaFortress technology, to be used in games by Nintendo and six other publishers starting this year, uses code stored in the actual game that detects the patching used by flashcarts, and then disables the ROM. "We take any DS game and inject a security scheme into the game itself," Mclennan told Gamasutra. "It turns each game into its own security system. Every time we apply it to a different game, it's a different security system."

Though he admits that the software could be hackable eventually, it would require a separate effort for each individual game ROM. "We add so much security to it that it will take a very long time to hack." Mclennan claims that even flashcart firmware patches will be unable to neutralize MetaFortress, though he didn't specify why.

Though Mclennan thinks flashcarts should be illegal, he "sympathizes" with the homebrew community. It wasn't his goal, but disabling flashcart-based piracy at the software level obviates the need for anti-flashcart legislation, which could be good news for homebrew fans.

Piracy pisses me off quite frankly. Personally, i dislike the R4 and general flashcarts. They're a good tool admittedly, when used properly, and can be very handy, i'd like to pick up one at some point myself. Unfortunately, everybody just pirates DS games with no intention to buy them at any point. I have nothing against people who wish to try out new games if to see if they're worth buying or are going to buy them eventually, but i hate when people just purchase an R4 and thats that.

Everyone i know who has a DS (yes, everyone) has an R4 or some flashcart like the M3 or Acekard, and a few of them are so spoilt for choice, that they dont complete their games in the end, and eventually just deletes it for a newer release. If they weren't so spoilt for choice and played with the cartridge, they'd feel more compelled to complete it. I can look at my rack of DS titles with the knowledge of knowing that i bought them, and intend to play them through and complete them all 100%.

Regarding this "solution". I know it'll only be a temporary thing, but i hope it pisses you R4 owners off enough for you to wake up. If you dont intend to buy these games ever because you're a twat, fine. But at least have the dignity and self respect to complete those games and not delete them for newer titles.

EDIT: Forgot to add the link to the article. Sorry.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/13/metaforic-unveils-new-anti-copying-measures-for-ds-games/

How technical is your game?

Around the Network

argh me matey, down with dem pirates, argh!

I hate how companies are so bent on taking our freedoms away completely ignoring our basic concept of ownership in the process. Using liscenses and copyright's, pantents and Digital Restrictions Management just to have more control and force a garanteed sale out of us.

These are one of the most justified crimes against the customers it makes me pissed.

Do what you want 'cause a pirate is f*lawsuit*

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

IxisNaugus said:

Regarding this "solution". I know it'll only be a temporary thing, but i hope it pisses you R4 owners off enough for you to wake up. If you dont intend to buy these games ever because you're a twat, fine. But at least have the dignity and self respect to complete those games and not put them for newer ones.

EDIT: Forgot to add the link to the article. Sorry.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/13/metaforic-unveils-new-anti-copying-measures-for-ds-games/

Do you think the R4 owners would really care much at all?  They'll probably be able to get through the security measures. Even if they can't, piracy will still be rampant on the DS.

Throwing insults at R4 owners won't help anybody at all. You don't have to be friends with each other, but remember that throwing insults isn't gonna make the situation any better.

I LIKE REDMOON ONLINE. IT'S TEH MOST AWESOMEST MMORPG. RUNESCAPE HAS NOTHING ON IT. ;) My full Videogame collection (Well, not really that full): http://www.backloggery.com/marktheshark I'LL COOL YOUR ANGER WITH AN ICE SPIRIT BLAST!!!!111111!!!!!!111!!!!1!!! List of vg studios that've been shut down this generation: Digital Anvil Headfirst Productions Frog City Software (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Indie Built (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Wolfpack Studios Core Design (Subsiduary of Eidos) Rockstar Vienna/neo Software Produktions GmbH (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Clover Studios (Subsiduary of Capcom) Sidecar Studios Flagship (Subsiduary of Capcom) FASA Studio Nihon Telenet EA Chicago aka NufX (Subsiduary of EA) Kush Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Concrete Games (Subsiduary of THQ?) Iron Lore Entertainment Carbonated Games Stormfront Studios Pseudo Interactive PAM Development (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Venom Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Castaway Entertainment Flagship Studios Pivotal Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Sierra Entertainment (Subsiduary of Activison) Helixe (Subsiduary of THQ) Mass Media (Subsiduary of THQ) Locomotive Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Paradigm Entertainment (Subsiduary of THQ) Sandblast Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Brash Entertainment Jaleco (Assets sold to Game Yarou) MS Aces Rockpool Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Seta Corporation Humanature Studio (Subsiduary of Nexon) Ensemble Studios Straylight Studios 3D Realms GameLab Factor 5 America's Army Studio The Fizz Factor (Subsiduary of Amaze Entertainment) GRIN Software Bottlerocket Entertainment Shaba Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Transmission Games Pandemic Studios Ninja Studio Fuzzyeyes Studio Near Death Studios Deep Silver Vienna (Subsidiary of Deep Silver) Incognito Entertainment (Subsiduary of SCEA) Matahari Studios (Subsiduary of Kuju?) Luxoflux (Subsiduary of Activison) Underground Development (Subsiduary of Activison) Red Octane (Subsiduary of Activison) Universomo (Subsiduary of THQ) Cing Zushi Games Javaground Silver Style Entertainment Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment Secret Level (Subsiduary of Sega) Ninja Studio Monte Cristo Cavia Flight-Plan Sparkplay Media Realtime Worlds Gaia Krome Studios Budcat Creations NetDevil Outerlight Propaganda Games (Subsiduary of Disney Interactive) MTV Games Bizarre Creations 7 Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Pi Studios Cohort Studios Frozen North Productions Killaware Game Republic Titan Studios (Subsidiary of Epic Games China) Kaos Studios (Subsidiary of THQ?) THQ Digital Warrington (Subsidiary of THQ) Blue Tongue (Subsidiary of THQ) Black Rock Studio (Subsidiary of Disney Interactive) Blue Fang Team Bondi Darkworks Multiverse Monumental Games Bigbig Studios (Subsidiary of Sony) Hudson Soft (Subsidiary of Konami) Spellbound Entertainment Zipper Interactive (Subsidiary of Sony) 4mm Games 38 Studios Big Huge Games (Subsidiary of 38 Studios) Rockstar Vancouver/Barking Dog Studios (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Radical Entertainment (Subsidiary of Activision) SCE Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis (Subsidiary of SCE World wide Studios) Project Sora (Subsidiary of Nintendo) Black Hole Entertainment Paragon Studios (Subsidiary of NCsoft) Crave Entertainment Eurocom THQ Vigil Games (Subsidiary of THQ) Junction Point Studios Milestone Inc. Lucasarts Eden Games (Subsidiary of Atari) Silicon Knights Timegate Studios EA Phenomic (Subsidiary of EA) Blitz Games Neverland Ea Black Box (Subsidiary of EA) Terminal Reality Two Tribes B.V. Irrational Games Maxis (Subsidiary of EA)

Around the Network

I like this part: "but disabling flashcart-based piracy at the software level obviates the need for anti-flashcart legislation, which could be good news for homebrew fans"

If someone could make a system to protect publishers and developers and encourage homebrew that would be ideal...or everyone could just be honest?! (Better keep working on that software solution.)

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

liquidninja said:

I hate how companies are so bent on taking our freedoms away completely ignoring our basic concept of ownership in the process. Using liscenses and copyright's, pantents and Digital Restrictions Management just to have more control and force a garanteed sale out of us.

These are one of the most justified crimes against the customers it makes me pissed.

Freedom to access something that isn't yours?

I never get this mentality.  Don't steal.  It's not hard.

These games, movies, books cost money to make.  The production and creative people deserve to make money if the product is good enough for people to buy it.

Because the "hard core" are generally the pirates, you can thank the pirates when Imagine Racoonz comes out.

Look up the social contract... I'll sum up the basics for you.  We live together, so we set up a system of rules.  Whether we like the system and the rules or not, we are bound to live by them or face the loss of life (death penalty) freedom (jail) or wealth (fines or law suits).

You don't like the rules, you are welcome to become an activist or lobbyist and campaign for a change.  Breaking the law is usually not a good way to protest.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
liquidninja said:

Freedom to access something that isn't yours?

I never get this mentality.  Don't steal.  It's not hard.

These games, movies, books cost money to make.  The production and creative people deserve to make money if the product is good enough for people to buy it.

Because the "hard core" are generally the pirates, you can thank the pirates when Imagine Racoonz comes out.

Look up the social contract... I'll sum up the basics for you.  We live together, so we set up a system of rules.  Whether we like the system and the rules or not, we are bound to live by them or face the loss of life (death penalty) freedom (jail) or wealth (fines or law suits).

You don't like the rules, you are welcome to become an activist or lobbyist and campaign for a change.  Breaking the law is usually not a good way to protest.

lol, this reminds me of something Uwe Boll said

"To be honest, the real gamers are the typical download guys, right?" Boll reasoned. "They don't pay anything for movies, because they illegally download the movies. So why [should I] please these guys? I need the normal audience."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52322

Do you think the R4 owners would really care much at all? They'll probably be able to get through the security measures. Even if they can't, piracy will still be rampant on the DS.

Throwing insults at R4 owners won't help anybody at all. You don't have to be friends with each other, but remember that throwing insults isn't gonna make the situation any better.
I'm quite aware that this wont be a long term solution, as i said. Even Andrew Mclennan says eventually it'd be hacked. I know R4 owners wont care.

As for insulting R4 owners? Maybe it wont help anybody, but why don't R4 owners use the device for something other than pirating; flashcarts have a lot of compelling features, but no, its all about pirating. As i said, if you intend to eventually purchase the title or even just want to see how the game plays to judge if its worth buying, that's all fine. But if you're just going to sit there with a DS/L/i and an R4 throughout this generation of handheld gaming and just pirate your way through the years... you're a twat. I bet most people who use R4's for the sole intent to pirate don't even play the games through, which is the biggest insult.

How technical is your game?

@steven787

Not the freedom to steel. The freedom to share, trade, back-up something I own.

Except legally I don't own it anymore. Because it's being licensed to me now at the rate something used to be sold to me.

$50 to $60 for something I don't get to own that rediculas.