By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Sony drop the PS2 to focus more on the PS3?

I know the PS2 is a great system. It still has impressive graphics. But would Sony benefit if they shifted all their console focus to the PS3? The PS2 is still making Sony money, especially now that it's cheaper to make because of it's age, but is it stealing money that should go to the PS3? The sales each week for each unit are only around 20k-30k difference. Thoughts?

Around the Network

I say they should, but not just yet since they're still making money of the PS2...................I think

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!

If it ain't dead, don't kill it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

It is still selling pretty well and it is helping them recover the debt that they are making by selling PS3 at loss.They will continue some more years then stop.It is still the greatest console in the history

Sony should continue supporting PS2 for the next few years. When PS4 is announced then it would be time to retire the PS2.

Around the Network

If they can continue to sell at least a million PS2s a year WW they should keep breathing air into its crusty lungs.

PS1 stopped selling in 2005 so the PS2 shud sell till one year before PS4's launch.It shud be retired around 2011

No, the PS2 generates money. If anything Sony should put more effort in PS2.

I understand your point, but why put more money into an outdated system? Sure, the PS3 is faltering in sales, but shouldn't more money be put into the PS3 to help it sell rather than a system that's been out nine years?

no way. ps2 needs to be around to offset the losses of the ps3. i think it should be dropped once the ps3 is profitable since it wont be needed as badly as it is now. but like others said, why stop when it still sells?