By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
alfredofroylan said:
More peripherals??? .. Where I'm going to store all the Wii stuff??

So, you have no interest in Wii Breakfast?

Around the Network

the way you described it sounds like fail.

Hmm... I also doubt the Wiimote is sensitive enough to act as a proper flying stick with accelerometers alone, around a vertical position and with quick jolts of about 20-30 degrees max.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
Hmm... I also doubt the Wiimote is sensitive enough to act as a proper flying stick with accelerometers alone, around a vertical position and with quick jolts of about 20-30 degrees max.

Well, I'm not sure what qualifies as "proper" in your mind, but the nunchuk has already been used as a tilt flight stick in Sky Crawlers, while previews of the upcoming Indiana Jones game say the wiimote does a good job as a flight stick as well.

It's just another method of tilt control. It works fine as a wheel in racing games, so why would it fail as a flight stick? The biggest issue, as with a wheel configuration, would be a lack of force feedback.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

You know, it sounds even possible. I'm not saying it's right or sure, but yeah, it's definitely possible. After all, Surfer Girl has already said that a Starfox Wii has been in development since the 2007 and Gone is gone, an amazing blog, said that Pilotwings and another misterious Factor 5 title are both coming to Wii, one in the 2009 (Pilotwings) and the other next year. I really hope it's true.

Around the Network

Hmm, well, sounds kinda farfetched to me. I don't think this is true, I mean, another peripheral? Although I'd really like to see those games. :p We need another Pilotwings, and Starfox is pretty much guaranteed to show up sometime during the Wii's lifetime. Also, a new Rogue Squadron would be cool, the 2 'Cube incarnations had the best graphics on the system, as well as great gameplay! :)

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Scuttlebutt has Patrick Duffy for a leg.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009

famousringo said:
WereKitten said:

Well, I'm not sure what qualifies as "proper" in your mind, but the nunchuk has already been used as a tilt flight stick in Sky Crawlers, while previews of the upcoming Indiana Jones game say the wiimote does a good job as a flight stick as well.

It's just another method of tilt control. It works fine as a wheel in racing games, so why would it fail as a flight stick? The biggest issue, as with a wheel configuration, would be a lack of force feedback.

With proper stick I meant having more or less the same amplitude of movements and sensitivity of your run-of-the-mill analogue flight joystick for PC.

Smaller angles around the vertical than what you do when using it in a wheel were what I was worried about... the sensitivity around the vertical position in - say - WiiSports Golf was quite inaccurate during accelerations.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
famousringo said:
WereKitten said:

With proper stick I meant having more or less the same amplitude of movements and sensitivity of your run-of-the-mill analogue flight joystick for PC.

Smaller angles around the vertical than what you do when using it in a wheel were what I was worried about... the sensitivity around the vertical position in - say - WiiSports Golf was quite inaccurate during accelerations.

I think Wii Sports golf uses lateral acceleration rather than tilt angle, which might be one of the reasons it's a little dicey.

A better comparison might be the ball-rolling levels in Super Mario Galaxy. Vertical tilt control seems pretty sensitive there.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

When I heard about the configuration I too thought would such a configuration be sensitive enough to ensure adequate control, and I came to the conclusion that it would be, because it incorporates both controls. In other words it would have dual input. Either reinforcing signals, and canceling out incorrect signals.

Honestly my initial thought would be to have the analog stick under the remote, but with it on top it gives two button access, and a analog stick for toggling functions which would be useful in both Starfox, and in Rogue Squadron. While in Pilotwings it would be excellent in the first person perspective allowing you to more your field of view while not having to change your coarse.

Then again the solution could be in the base if you assume it isn't just a glorified piece of plastic. All you would need is the components necessary to make your average analog stick work. Hell it would probably be cheaper to produce then the Nunchuk. Which retails for less then twenty dollars.

Hell I doubt many on these forums are even aware there is already a third party flight controller for the Wii. On sale for twenty five dollars. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Airplane-Controller-Stand-Nintendo/dp/B000YGNDOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1242148712&sr=8-1