By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Console Degeneration

goddog said:

I will say that steam bothers me with the locking offline play all the time that needs to stop now, if they can not build it stable enough that it does not bar me from playing my game stop it (this is even with disc copies of games)

I never had any problems with Steam while playing offline.

Around the Network
shio said:
goddog said:

I will say that steam bothers me with the locking offline play all the time that needs to stop now, if they can not build it stable enough that it does not bar me from playing my game stop it (this is even with disc copies of games)

I never had any problems with Steam while playing offline.

maybe you havent, but i have had nothing but problems ... and i wouldnt mind so much if they were all games downloaded acause id just write it off as part of the experiance, but when i buy something on disc i expect to be able to play it even if i have to leave the disc in the drive, 

I pay for all my games, software, and music and its shit like that that makes me question weather it really is a violation of my morals to pirate 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:

maybe you havent, but i have had nothing but problems ... and i wouldnt mind so much if they were all games downloaded acause id just write it off as part of the experiance, but when i buy something on disc i expect to be able to play it even if i have to leave the disc in the drive, 

I pay for all my games, software, and music and its shit like that that makes me question weather it really is a violation of my morals to pirate 

The solution (however painful) is to not buy the games whose DRM you disagree with. "Working around" it is still rewarding them for bad practices. Even piracy acknowlegdes you want to use their products.

As consumers, NOT buying stuff is the only way we can send a message to corporations.

I agre with the diminishing returns bit. You can only up the graphics until people can hardly see any improvement, just like how it's getting ridiculously hard for people to notice anything high than 1080p without a super screen.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Soleron said:
goddog said:

The solution (however painful) is to not buy the games whose DRM you disagree with. "Working around" it is still rewarding them for bad practices. Even piracy acknowlegdes you want to use their products.

As consumers, NOT buying stuff is the only way we can send a message to corporations.

if companies that did not use DRM would make games I want i could abide by that, but at the moment id still be playing imperium galatctica II  ...... though I think europa universalis : rome did not have DRM ill have to fire it up and check.... both fun games...... OH and civil war generals II 

Around the Network

This article really does ignore the Wii angle, and just for that it should be taken lightly. If there can be innovation in hardware, there will always be someone who wants to have monopoly on that hardware. The consoles will remain. But the software might be another story.

This is invisible text!

Ifgoddog said:
Soleron said:
goddog said:

if companies that did not use DRM would make games I want i could abide by that, but at the moment id still be playing imperium galatctica II  ...... though I think europa universalis : rome did not have DRM ill have to fire it up and check.... both fun games...... OH and civil war generals II 

If you hate DRM so much then why are you buying console games?! Consoles have far worse DRM systems than most PC games have: 5 download limit for DLC/XBLA games, Disc Checks for all physical copies even if they're installed on your Xbox 360/PS3, can't play downloaded games on more than just 1 console, etc...

I love my PC's DRM-lite games.

shio said:
Ifgoddog said:
Soleron said:
goddog said:

If you hate DRM so much then why are you buying console games?! Consoles have far worse DRM systems than most PC games have: 5 download limit for DLC/XBLA games, Disc Checks for all physical copies even if they're installed on your Xbox 360/PS3, can't play downloaded games on more than just 1 console, etc...

I love my PC's DRM-lite games.

because at current I can play all the games I want and have bought offline without an issue.  never heard of the 5 download limit but if that is ture ill raise hell about it. and disc checking is still prominent on pc games almost all the games I own.. i would prefer the option of haveing to do disk checking for steam games as to just being locked out if you bought a physical copy.

its not that i hate drm its that i hate poorly thought out systems, and right now both ecosystems are fool of them to the point they only punish people who legitimately buy games.

im fairly certain that one console thing is BS because I have downloads on mine and my brothers unit both have my profile on it and both work fine.  though i dont think you can use the same profile at the same time on both never tired. its just convenient to have it over there for when i game at his house or vise versa 

hisRolStoppable said:
KungKras said:
I can agree that PC graphics isn't as far ahead compared to the current gen consoles as it used to be in the past console generations. And since the graphics are good on the current gen consoles, a new gonsole must have really mind-blowing graphics to take off. Well, 2011 isn't upon us yet so we will see how much graphics will develop until then. Personally I hope that the 5-year cycle will be replaced by an 8-year one.

The race for better graphics is over. They won't be a major selling point anymore. The future lies in the interface and the controller.

This Rol speaks the truth.

That's an interesting article and yes I do believe that this generation will be the last as we used to know them. I guess that the real next shift will be around 2015 more or less. I hope so. I always hated that consoles only lasts 5 years and all that huge potential is losted because they wanted to "follow the leader".

I don't agree that they took out the wii. Like it or not much of the huge changes on this generation were started thanks to Nintendo and its wii+NDS combo aparting from great techs and focusing in interfaces and more. the wii is as much next gen as the HD twins. You have to accept it.