By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40Gb PS3 rumours growing arms and legs!

Link to Games Radar

Could this actually happen?

I think it would certainly be a very smart move from Sony.  Although I reckon they really shouldn't remove any functionality from the PS3 to create the cheaper 40Gb $399 model.  And could it be redesigned and be smaller which in turn would make it more attractive to the Eastern market as well.

Releasing this model around the start of November as well would be a smart move, to get the sales over the Holiday season.  Obviously to have the lower price tag of $399, the new model will only come with one sixaxis.  Whereas at the same time, the 80Gb $599 model that currently comes with Motorstorm gets reduced to $499 to replace the soon to be extinct 60Gb models on the market.

So could we see in time for Xmas:

40Gb PS3 with one sixaxis - $399

80Gb PS3 with one sixaxis, Motorstorm and HDMI cable - $499

It would also mean, that this new 40Gb model would have to replace the 20Gb model in Japan, obviously, now you would be getting a fully working PS3 with Wifi and cardslots etc, and they could probably reduce the price which is currently comparable to $400 to maybe around $350.

This would also need to happen in the UK and Europe as well.  The current £425 60Gb, 2 games and 2 sixaxis' deal would have to come down considerably.  A £299 entry unit would do much better. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

Too bad this rumor doesn't have a brain. I don't see any reason why a 40gb version would be significantly cheaper to manufacture than at 60gb or 80gb version.

It wouldn't be FishyJoe. Not even if they gave the Reality Synthesizer the boot, took out Wifi, and ditched the card readers. It just wouldn't save them near enough money to price the PS3 at $399.

&%$@&^%@#

For the last time, this rumor was created by an MS exec and Kaz himself said they'd only use 1 SKU at a time from now on back at E3.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

It makes sense if you want to increase market share. It doesn't sacrifice gameplay either by keeping a hard drive unlike the Core.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
It wouldn't be FishyJoe. Not even if they gave the Reality Synthesizer the boot, took out Wifi, and ditched the card readers. It just wouldn't save them near enough money to price the PS3 at $399.

Um...ok...I'm a total noob.  There is a Reality Synthesizer in the PS3?  Um...is that why the games look better than real life.  I coudn't figure out how they were doing it.  Me...I'm waiting for the UnReality Synthesizer.  That is gonna be the sh^t.  No more magic mushrooms for me.

It makes no sense. The OEM price difference between a 60gb hard drive and a 40gb hard drive is $2. An 80gb hard drive is only $5 more.

I don't know how much the card readers cost, and maybe the 40 gig will change some of the internal features. It might ditch Wi-fi, but I don't think it will.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

A card reader costs about $3. Wi-fi, maybe $15. So a $100 price cut for maybe a $25 cut in manufacturing. Makes perfect business sense if you want to lose even more money and cause more consumer confusion.

In addition, you would have the added expense of creating a seperate SKU and production line. 

DITCHING WI-FI would be silly

@Viper1

SONY has broken many promises, what harm will another one do + it'll be for the good

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million