By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what game should i get killzone 2 or halo 3?

uber said:

to put it simply, killzones innovation lies in its ability to immerse the player. it really improved on what was thought as total immersion. before killzone cod4 was the king of immersion.

killzone set the bar higher than it ever has been before in a couple of key ways.

1. the weighty controls and non-infinite range forces the player to be more cautious due to how much it reduces the twitch factor. other fps allow you to kill as long as there is a line of sight regardless of the weapon.
2. subtle tweaks to the way the player moves adds to immersion, aka, the jumping. before killzone one could accurately fire while jumping...*cough*halo*cough*.
3. the use of weather to create immersion. the weather in killzone is no longer just a backdrop, but rather it makes its presence felt as you play. last i checked no major release has done it like that.
4. the enemy AI is so advanced that it feels more like playing against real adversaries than bots working on routines. cod4 was great, but killzones AI blows it away.

those are just for the campaign. as for the mp,
1. the ability to customize classes for individual preferences
2. perks and unlockables that are awarded for feats for a single game. normally perks are just based on rank or cumulative stats.
3. massive clan support with online wagering for clan battles.
4. badges and rank for weekly top scorers.
5. comprehensive stat tracking and support on killzone.com

these are just things off the top of my head. i'm sure others can list more.

enjoy.

So basically your saying that Killzone 2 has really good graphics because not a single thing you listed could be termed as innovation, but I'll go through the list one by one

1. This is just not true. Not only has the weighty factor been created although not to such an extreme extent in games such as Battlefield: Bad Company the second statement is just false. In every fps you must have the right weapon for the situation. Although some weapons are more robust than others, you could shoot at me all day with a smg from 300 feet and not hurt me while a few shots from the battle rifle from that range and you would be dead. Also how is this innovation?

2. Again you clearly do not know the shooting mechanics of fps games if you think it was possible to easily shoot while jumping. As long as the weapon is not hit scan the player is required to compensate for his own movement, the other players movement and the bullet spread of the weapon no matter what fps he plays, especially Halo 3. Also how is this innovative again?

3. This argument simply boils down to pretty graphics.

4. In the campaign that may be great however no bot will ever come close to human intelligence or skill in multiplayer, any experienced player can tell you that. And as far as AI goes the original Halo is cited as one of the games that revolutionized in game AI and their branching behaviors. Also great AI is fun but having 4 friends to blast through  a campaign with you as well as having good AI is better.

As for the rest of the points every thing you listed has been done before, even Halo 2 had the clan support. While it's great that Killzone 2 has all these features nothing you listed is innovative. Looking at your arguments your reasons for liking Killzone 2 are because you say its realistic. While thats fine keep in mind that Killzone 2 is far from being a truly immersive game (spawn grenades, etc...). For most people that play FPS games it's not the immersion they care about but the facilities the game provides you. Halo provides people the tools to play how they want, creating a more robust and diverse community and ultimately a stronger community. In this regard Halo will live long after Killzone is dead and forgotten.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network
Mendicate Bias said:
uber said:

to put it simply, killzones innovation lies in its ability to immerse the player. it really improved on what was thought as total immersion. before killzone cod4 was the king of immersion.

killzone set the bar higher than it ever has been before in a couple of key ways.

1. the weighty controls and non-infinite range forces the player to be more cautious due to how much it reduces the twitch factor. other fps allow you to kill as long as there is a line of sight regardless of the weapon.
2. subtle tweaks to the way the player moves adds to immersion, aka, the jumping. before killzone one could accurately fire while jumping...*cough*halo*cough*.
3. the use of weather to create immersion. the weather in killzone is no longer just a backdrop, but rather it makes its presence felt as you play. last i checked no major release has done it like that.
4. the enemy AI is so advanced that it feels more like playing against real adversaries than bots working on routines. cod4 was great, but killzones AI blows it away.

2. perks and unlockables that are awarded for feats for a single game. normally perks are just based on rank or cumulative stats.

enjoy.

So basically your saying that Killzone 2 has really good graphics because not a single thing you listed could be termed as innovation, but I'll go through the list one by one

1. This is just not true. Not only has the weighty factor been created although not to such an extreme extent in games such as Battlefield: Bad Company the second statement is just false. In every fps you must have the right weapon for the situation. Although some weapons are more robust than others, you could shoot at me all day with a smg from 300 feet and not hurt me while a few shots from the battle rifle from that range and you would be dead. Also how is this innovation?

2. Again you clearly do not know the shooting mechanics of fps games if you think it was possible to easily shoot while jumping. As long as the weapon is not hit scan the player is required to compensate for his own movement, the other players movement and the bullet spread of the weapon no matter what fps he plays, especially Halo 3. Also how is this innovative again?

3. This argument simply boils down to pretty graphics.

4. In the campaign that may be great however no bot will ever come close to human intelligence or skill in multiplayer, any experienced player can tell you that. And as far as AI goes the original Halo is cited as one of the games that revolutionized in game AI and their branching behaviors. Also great AI is fun but having 4 friends to blast through  a campaign with you as well as having good AI is better.

As for the rest of the points every thing you listed has been done before, even Halo 2 had the clan support. While it's great that Killzone 2 has all these features nothing you listed is innovative. Looking at your arguments your reasons for liking Killzone 2 are because you say its realistic. While thats fine keep in mind that Killzone 2 is far from being a truly immersive game (spawn grenades, etc...). For most people that play FPS games it's not the immersion they care about but the facilities the game provides you. Halo provides people the tools to play how they want, creating a more robust and diverse community and ultimately a stronger community. In this regard Halo will live long after Killzone is dead and forgotten.

Wow you are really good at debating.

@ uber
The controls in Killzone 2 are terrible, so many people complained about them, that's why they released an update for the game to try and improve them lol

uber said:

enjoy.

Please tell me you didn't just list online stat tracking as an innovation from Killzone 2.  Bungie are the unrivaled masters of stat tracking, and had it long before Killzone 2 was even pretty E3 footage.

By all accounts, Halo 3 has the best multiplayer of the generation with the possible exception of CoD4. Having just finished Killzone 2's single-player on Hard, I can tell you that as graphically impressive as the game is, the single player still isn't as good as Halo 3's.

It also doesn't have co-op, whereas Halo 3 does.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

There is no contest really. Halo 3 is the better game. KZ2 is a good game, but it's just not on Halo 3's level. In fact Halo 1 and 2 are also better games but thats by the by.

KZ2 doesnt have a very good story, and the characters dont hold your attention during singleplayer. Gameplay is good, but very safe.

Multiplayer is good and well played by many.

Halo's story is just superb. Perfect characters, and possibly the best voice of any game. Gameplay is nigh on perfect, and it has the best vehicle controls of any FPS game.

Multiplayer is so good. There is so many playing and so much content available. Halo 3 ODST is gonna be an awesome addition.

uber said:

massive clan support with online wagering for clan battles.

enjoy.

We must have entirely different ideas what innovation is.

The green. This is not innovation but an evolution of what KZ1 was trying to be. It goes for realism, whereas Halo 3 is a space opera. They will differ in game mechanics. KZ2 purposely goes for realism, Halo 3 purposely does not.

The Red. Cod 4's AI was shite. Playing through the game for the first time on Veteran was easy. The game used simple respawn enemies all the time. Halo 3's AI killed COD 4 dramatically.

The Blue. All these things have been done in Console shooters before it. KZ2 is a good game, but it's multiplayer features are a long way behind Halo 3's.

after reading through the responses, the one thing i am convinced of is that people don't seem to know the definition of innovation.

my post should have been simple to understand. the killzone level of realism and immersion has never been done before, so to do it is by definition innovation.

battlefield bad company was awesome, but its chief innovation was due to environmental damage. its controls were pretty much the same as cod4 in feel. in fact, one can successfully play both games the same way. i know becaue i do. killzone is a unique game in that to play it requires a completely style of play.

as far as the AI, i recall the baddies on halo3 jumping from side to side to avoid incoming fire. wolfenstein 3d anyone? real sharp AI there.

as for there rest of what i included, i still cannot tell whether you are being obtuse on purpose or not.

you show in what you responded to really not know killzone at all, but more than that you seem to have a paucity of knowledge of what would be considered innovative.

for you to say that a repackaged halo2 is mega-innovative, but a game which does something in spirit which has never been done before in generic and blah blah blah. so much of what's coming from you reads like what xbots were saying on gamespots user reviews when they were trying to lower the score. pathetic.

and more people like immersion that you seem to think. all my halo friends dumped it for cod4 because of the immersion, and now they love killzone.
you represent the voice of a militant group of gamers who think fps evolution peaked with halo. well i got news for you....twitch shooters are a thing of the past. now that consoles have the power to pursue total immersion that is where the future will be.

one last thing, i completely agree that halo3 will live on with many people...but for the exact same reason that bret michaels still has a music career.

art is the excrement of culture

It's not hard to define innovation. It's the introduction of something novel...that is all. KZ2 doesn't do that; it's alright man.

halo 3 is better. i played kilzone 2 at my friends hous and man was it so boring. single player of course.