By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's up with people in their 40s,50s and 60s not playing core videogames?

Nintendogamer said:
Mind you there is one person in their 90's that love mario kart Wii. one person I read about, I'm sure there are plenty of other people in their 90's play the wii.

90% to 100% of people our age play core videogames.

Probably less than 15% of the 40+ age group play core videogames on a regular basis. Especially not 40+ women dragging the average down even further. The percentage might be even lower! Who knows?

If some user know about a 90 year old who play core videogames or have seen some interview on tv about old people playing core videogames, it still does not alter the fact that our generation is de facto the core videogame generation.

:/

Around the Network
GamingChartzFTW said:

Nintendogamer said:
Mind you there is one person in their 90's that love mario kart Wii. one person I read about, I'm sure there are plenty of other people in their 90's play the wii.

Probably less than 15% of the 40+ age group play core videogames on a regular basis. Especially not 40+ women dragging the average down even further. The percentage might be even lower! Who knows?

If some user know about a 90 year old who play core videogames or have seen some interview on tv about old people playing core videogames, it still does not alter the fact that our generation is de facto the core videogame generation.

I'm not sure what "our age" is, but that doesn't matter because I seriously doubt the percentage is anywhere near that high for any age group.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
GamingChartzFTW said:

Nintendogamer said:

I'm not sure what "our age" is, but that doesn't matter because I seriously doubt the percentage is anywhere near that high for any age group.

I suppose he means 16-30 age group like the most of VGcharts members are.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
theRepublic said:
GamingChartzFTW said:

Nintendogamer said:

Correct.

Realistically, what most people consider "Core" videogames have only really existed for the past 10 to 15 years ... and most games from before that are closer to what people like to call "Casual" games than anything else that is available today.

Around the Network
GamingChartzFTW said:

Nintendogamer said:

First off, I'm 40 and I and most of my friends play.   However, for myself (and I know for many of my friends) I played 1st gen systems, then PC and didn't get into consoles (despite my son have N64, GC, PS2) until now.  If it wasn't for the Wii I'd have ignored this console gen too.    My dad is also a PC gamer and he's in his 60's.

But don't forget for most 40+ people, they didn't grow up with video games in their homes and do not have that childhood association that younger generations do so obviously the % of people playing and the % of time playing is going to be lower than people who grew up with NES, etc.

Secondly - Women in their 40's are the LARGEST segment of the PC gaming market.  Like 40% of the entire market.   No they are obviously not playing Crysis.   They are playing flash games and a little WoW.   But still they represent the largest $$ marketshare on PC.

GamingChartzFTW said:
Nintendogamer said:
theRepublic said:
GamingChartzFTW said:

Nintendogamer said:

Correct.

Just don't make up percentages and we'll be cool.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

HappySqurriel said:

Realistically, what most people consider "Core" videogames have only really existed for the past 10 to 15 years ... and most games from before that are closer to what people like to call "Casual" games than anything else that is available today.

Wrong.

Thousands of heavy strategy games and simulators says hi.

Thousands RPGs, tactical games, platformers etc. says hi

Atari says hi.

PC gaming in the 80s says hi

Amiga, Commodore says hi

2nd, 3rd and 4th videogame generation says hi

From Elite to Sid Meier's Civilization 

From King's Quest to Lucas Arts games etc.

Core games in Every Genre (since the 70s)!

@OP

Because you have plenty of time in your life to waste. The age group you refer to tend to do other more worth while things. Then they want to relax with some easy entertainment. What your refer to core is generally intensive, deep and rather a large waste of valuable time. People want to lower the brain wave activity so they will have meaningful sleep.

I love games, easy, complex, short, long, but i'm under no illusion that games are a meaningful use of time.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Gamerace said:
GamingChartzFTW said:

Nintendogamer said:

First off, I'm 40 and I and most of my friends play.   However, for myself (and I know for many of my friends) I played 1st gen systems, then PC and didn't get into consoles (despite my son have N64, GC, PS2) until now.  If it wasn't for the Wii I'd have ignored this console gen too.    My dad is also a PC gamer and he's in his 60's.

But don't forget for most 40+ people, they didn't grow up with video games in their homes and do not have that childhood association that younger generations do so obviously the % of people playing and the % of time playing is going to be lower than people who grew up with NES, etc. True. Agreed.

Secondly - Women in their 40's are the LARGEST segment of the PC gaming market.  Like 40% of the entire market.   No they are obviously not playing Crysis.   They are playing flash games and a little WoW.   But still they represent the largest $$ marketshare on PC.  Irrelevant. We are indeed discussing core games.