By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What games has and will take up all 50 GB of a Blu-ray disk

phinch1 said:
darconi said:
Just because a disk is full doesn't mean its useful. If we paid half of the planet to dig a hole and the other half to fill in a hole, we get full employment but no productivity.

I don't see how that relates in anyway what so ever

yeah, i was wondering what was the point of that post too...

Around the Network

What was Konami complaining about then about not having enough space on a Blu-ray disk for MGS4?

Gilgamesh said:

What was Konami complaining about then about not having enough space on a Blu-ray disk for MGS4?

it's all hype baby.

I don't see any significant amount of developers filling up 50 GB unless it's for lots of cutscenes and/or almost useless stuff like uncompressed audio. Filling it up with actual game content would mean spending far more money than current development budgets. Not even Sony's 1st party games have much more content than other games.

I don't think even in the next-gen we'll see many games using up 50 GB (unless it's for the stuff I mentioned before). The gaming industry is already spending too much on development as it stands...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

I don't see any significant amount of developers filling up 50 GB unless it's for lots of cutscenes and/or almost useless stuff like uncompressed audio. Filling it up with actual game content would mean spending far more money than current development budgets. Not even Sony's 1st party games have much more content than other games.

I don't think even in the next-gen we'll see many games using up 50 GB (unless it's for the stuff I mentioned before). The gaming industry is already spending too much on development as it stands...

I agree.  Filling a disk up to 50GB without duplication or lack of compression isn't making a game truly that size and I doubt any developers will have the budget to do 50GB worth of assets. 

Around the Network
rafichamp said:
First, MGS4 toke up only 30gb of the disk, mainly because of its VERY bad coding, the game was good but the codes were messed up, Second, a single layerd blu-ray takes up 50gb, a double layer takes up to 100gb, so 50gb is not the max for a blu-ray disk.

No, single layer for Blu-ray is 25 gigs, dual is 50GB.  That is currently the max size.

slowmo said:
NJ5 said:

I agree.  Filling a disk up to 50GB without duplication or lack of compression isn't making a game truly that size and I doubt any developers will have the budget to do 50GB worth of assets. 

Of course.  If you don't need to spend time trying to optimize disk space, why would you?  This was the same argument during the HD DVD vs Blu-ray days.  People would claim HD DVD's 30GB wasn't enough space because the disks were full.  Of course they were full!  Why wouldn't you always use the maximum the disk size would allow you?  Same thing applies, if they don't need to spend time with smart compression (due to disc SPACE, disc READ SPEED is a whole other consideration) then there is no reason to.

NJ5 said:

7.1 sound and japanese tracks helps =).

In the future, perhaps GT5. I'm sure FFXIII will do it.

It was reported my Media Molecule that LBP took up 40GB because of all the tutorial videos

4 ≈ One

daroamer said:
rafichamp said:
First, MGS4 toke up only 30gb of the disk, mainly because of its VERY bad coding, the game was good but the codes were messed up, Second, a single layerd blu-ray takes up 50gb, a double layer takes up to 100gb, so 50gb is not the max for a blu-ray disk.

No, single layer for Blu-ray is 25 gigs, dual is 50GB.  That is currently the max size.

Isn't there work on a 16 layered 400 gig one?

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)