By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Radio Shack to start selling video games, except PS3

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/18/analysts-radioshack-to-start-selling-games-in-store/

Confirmed: RadioShack to start selling games in-store

by Kyle Orland Sep 18th 2007 11:37AM
Filed under: Culture, Business

Update: A RadioShack manager who wishes to remain anonymous has confirmed to Joystiq that the retailer will begin selling games and hardware in most of their stores nationwide on Sept. 24. The selection of titles will include Halo 3 (available at launch on Sept. 25), Madden 08 and "every major launch title for the holiday season" according to the source, who was briefed on the plans by a corporate broadcast.

Fourteen games in all will be available through the holiday season, though a list of specific games was not available. In addition, 2,500 of the chain's 6,000+ stores will be selling Xbox 360, Wii and PS2 (but not PS3) hardware in-store -- other locations will be able to special order hardware at a customer's request.

According to our source, the focus will not be on just selling the systems and games, but also the associated accessories and cables that Radio Shack specializes in (and makes the most margin on). After the holidays, the retailer will probably suspend the game sales program "unless it does really well," our source told us. The program will be promoted to consumers in RadioShack's October flier.

Original Post: GameShack, anyone? Analysts are predicting that venerable electronics retailer RadioShack is looking to increase the video game presence in its 6,000 locations across the U.S. Media reports cite analysts from Citigroup and Credit Suisse as predicting the company will start testing game sales in their brick and mortar locations as early as this holiday season. One analyst note suggested stores would be limited to 14 games per location to start. Not exactly numbers to strike fear into the heart of GameStop ... at least not yet.

The Shack has offered a wide selection of games and hardware on its website since 2005 but their in-store gaming selection has been traditionally limited to memory cards, controllers and other accessories. The move into the thriving game industry might be an attempt to reverse three quarters of declining sales for the retailer, yet RadioShack stock was down 6.6 percent Monday on fears that selling games might further depress earnings. Go fig.

Around the Network

I can just imagine all of these ratshack nerds yelling out "Take THAT Sony!!!!"

Fourteen games in all will be available through the holiday season

not a big deal i guess but it's something.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Well, they want to make themselves look flashy and successful. Frankly, it didn't seem like they were offering much in the first place (only 14 titles?) so I'm not surprised.

RadioShack not carrying the P$3?  That may not be a bad thing for $ony, as RadioShack isn't generally considered prestigious.

Around the Network

They used to carry games and systems in the past via special order, but the hardware was always overpriced bundles of games with systems that you may have wanted 1 year ago.

Not a big deal, Ratshack just wants to get anything to improve sales and hopefully bring more people into their stores to buy overpriced junk.

/Former Rat Shack manager. Don't ever do that job people, it's worse then what anyone tells you.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

rager1969 said:
RadioShack not carrying the P$3? That may not be a bad thing for $ony, as RadioShack isn't generally considered prestigious.

I completely agree that it wont' hurt sony or make a difference. 

But doesn't that sting a little?  And what does that say about consumer demand for PS3s?  I can't think of a single store that sells any system that doesn't sell them all (unless they are owned by nintnedo/sony/microsoft).

This would be bad news for Sony if this were anyplace other than Radioshack, but, well, since it's Radioshack I doubt will notice just about as much as everyone else will notice. I didn't think Radioshack was around anymore.

A good decision on Radioshack's part getting in on the videogame market and another good decision to avoid the Sony product due to its lack of appeal (God knows they have enough shit that doesn't sell). As said though this won't hurt Sony but that's not what this thread is about. It's about retailers wisening up to market trends, even if that retailer is only the lowly Radioshack.

Ah the naive days when I thought Radio Shack might be a good place to buy A/V parts and accessories, or videogame accessories.

They jack the prices up so much on that crap, it's ridiculous. Radio Shack is complete crap. I suppose it's cool that they're carrying games now...one extra place to check if a game is sold out...but I'm sure they'll find a way to jack up the prices somehow.

Not to mention you can't walk in that store without getting asked for help IMMEDIATELY or feeling employee eyes watching you the whole time...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )