By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Man dies after 72-hour gaming binge

Another report from Asia of death by gaming - are doctors taking MMO addiction seriously yet?

A man in Southern China has died of exhaustion after a three-day online gaming binge, reports Beijing News.

The 30-year old man declared dead in cyber cafι in the city of Guangzhou on Saturday afternoon. Paramedics on the scene tried to revive the man but failed.

The report says a hundred other net users "left the cafe in fear" after witnessing the man's death. It wasn't noted which game the man was playing, but we're sure everyone has the usual suspects in mind.

Back in 2005 a South Korean man died after playing StarCraft for 50 hours in an internet cafe.

Psychologist Professor Mark Griffiths told the BBC that playing excessively was "not a problem" for the majority of gamers, but warned that online addiction is becoming a phenomenon for a small minority.

"They are the types of games that completely engross the player. They are not games that you can play for 20 minutes and stop," he said.

"It is not taken seriously yet - it is the same for internet addiction."

Several clinics have already been set-up in China to treat "internet addiction," although we suspect it'll be a long time before the treatment is available to even a small portion of the country's 140 million internet users.

original article here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172233

Poor bugger. WOW or Starcraft again. A friend of mine died some months ago while playing Warcraft. He didn't die because of the game, he had a medical condition, but playing for some hours straight caused him grave deterioration of his status, leading him to collapse. Has anyone else you know endangered his life over VG or is internet addicted? This is going to be a huge problem over the coming years.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Around the Network

pussy... 4 1/2 days playing FFVIII is my record.... but i had vodka and pot, no coffee...

man, my ps 1 & 2 controller spoil after i play more than 12 hr straight...
now, my eye & back tire easily & i can't play >5 hr straight without resting...

i dont understand how can you die from just playing video games weird.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

^^ its called not getting a drink of water

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I dont think they die just "playing"
they die becuase they are exhausted

it is like you never stop playing/surfing internet all the days during several month : each day you spend a lot of your time life surfing/playing on internet.

more the time spent, less you care about your real life :
friend+family but even food+water.

It must be what killed this guy : under nutrition for severals days.

Time to Work !

It's the same as with sleep deprevation. Your body is so tired it just collapses.

Nice to see that some consider endangering yor health "hardcore". Internet, serious buisness, i know.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Sherlock99 said:
i dont understand how can you die from just playing video games weird.
not eating or sleeping for that long certainly isnt doing your body any favours

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

Man my record was 12 hours , and afther eating nearly a cow , I went to bed in a second ... man I couldent resist that much ... no possible way :o

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Our minds aren't too different from our hearts; they need to rest for a while else they'll just stop functioning. Sleep ain't optional, guys.