By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - % Mark-up on Game Consoles at Walmart

@mjdans
i may gotten my terminology a little mixed up and
Most Wii first party games show up as 19.8% Wii-Fit the exception so far
Wii-Remote 19.5%

DS Games at 19.8% too

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

Around the Network

@LuStaysTru

thank-you I have had similar information from a local target store here only was told one hour ago. these numbers will help a great deal thanks again.

Yeah i remember a report a while back that said retail made $50 off Wii and nothing off the PS3.. that's a large discrepancy and bad business from Nintendo if it were true.. but it's Nintendo, if anyone knows good business it's them.

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

there are a lot of best guess on this and other sites that tend to muddy the water

This thread needs to stay alive more input does anyone else have mark-up or margin infomation.

Around the Network

One thing this confirms is that Sony is the most stingy hardware manufacturer and Microsoft the most generous when it comes to retailer mark up. When I worked in retail in the ages past, we were told to push Xbox 1's because they didn't set our margins back as much.

Tease.

@Squilliam

I think this shows that microsoft are smarter than people give them credit for of all the people you want to talk favourabily it the retailer a good salesman can sell extra units.

@mjdans: They used to give us incentives to sell Xbox 1's. I think we got $5 each for the first 5, then for each set of 5 they would give us a bonus. I think our ratios for Xbox 1 to PS2 were something like 2-1 in favour of the Xbox 1. That $5 made us remind customers that the PS2 was unreliable, that they had to buy an external memory card etc.

Tease.

@Squilliam

this almost sounds like a microsoft deal but may only have been instore.

Squilliam said:
One thing this confirms is that Sony is the most stingy hardware manufacturer and Microsoft the most generous when it comes to retailer mark up. When I worked in retail in the ages past, we were told to push Xbox 1's because they didn't set our margins back as much.

It's not that Sony is stingy it's just that they are not in a position to be generous i mean the PS2 makes the most money for retailers.

and numbers can be misleading for instance Xbox 360 Arcade has lower markup but when people bring home the console they may realize they may need to buy the separate hard drive which like all other accessories is where the money is at for the retailer (forgot the exact % but it's high).  That's explains the higher mark-up for the harddrive equiped units but in actuality if you take out the harddrive in said units the core system is roughly the same price and the mark-up is roughly equal if you bought the Arcade and separate harddrive compared to a more expensive harddrive equipped unit.

Gee i hope that made sense but the point is that for just the console itself it's Nintendo that is the most generous.