By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I couldn't have said it better myself.

noname2200 said:
SRPG said:
noname2200 said:

I pray the sheer pathetic-ness of this panel in particular gives us the true answer. It's such a sad little panel that it can only indicate satire; you've really got to examine your life if you think these things are really a badge of honor, after all.

But if I'm wrong, it's cool. My generation killed gaming decades ago. The Playstation kids and jocks killed gaming after us. Now its the soccer moms' and grandpas' turn to slay the hobby. Ten years from now, I look forward to hearing how those idiotic pot-belly NASCAR dads are killing gaming. And so the world turns.

Acomplishing something that not everyone can do is something to be proud of, no matter how tiny it is. Maybe you should go back to the gym and pretend you are better than everyone else.

Last time, you and I got off on the wrong foot. I'd like to try again, if I may, and I promise to keep the patronization to a minimum. Do be warned that what follows is a long post, though. So with that...

It is one thing to take pride in doing something others can not, even if that something is minor and pointless. We all do it at one point or another, so as long as its kept within reason there's nothing wrong with such behavior. For example, I am great in the kitchen, and even though that achievement isnt' really necessary nowadays it's still something that I can look on and smile about.

The problems arise when you take such an inordinate amount of pride in a meaningless accomplishment that you start being hostile to people who haven't done something similar. To continue my example, I don't take so much pride in my culinary skills that I actively loathe and despise anyone who buys cake mix or Top Ramen.

Yet that is essentially what is going on in with this comic. The author is proudly boasting that he (like myself) wasted large chunks of his childhood by locking himself in his room and memorizing ten-part button combinations that make his character swing his sword just so. He is, in fact, patting himself on the back for encountering a barrier to gameplay and surmounting it. He's welcome to do so: shoot, I still do the same myself.

Unfortunately, he then takes this to the illogical extreme: if you don't have the patience to do what I did, if you didn't make yourself a "social outcast" (his words, not mine) in pursuit of learning how to do a single Sonic Boom, if YOU didn't have the patience to jot down and keep sixty-character passwords just lying about, then I despise you. Never mind the fact that these button combinations, these lengthy passwords, these barriers to having fun, were never meant to be the challenge in and of themselves. No, if you have not Suffered as I have, then you are Not Worthy,

Here's the problems. Not only is that incredibly elitist (and I can't think of a single time that "elitist" qualifies as a good character trait), but that attitude ultimately retards the very hobby that we all enjoy. On a literal level, had gaming always listened to folks like this author, folks who wanted everyone to go through the hassles we had to go through, we'd all still have to be programming our games before we played them, rather than taking the easy out of just plopping the cartridge into a console.

And I'm not completely speaking hypothetically here: only a few decades ago, computer gamers (the "Real Gamers" of their time) were openly contemptful of those idiots who had to use an Atari or NES to play their games.

When it came time for the SNES/Genesis, "Real Gamers" (like myself) were infuriated. What do you mean that I don't have to replay the game twenty times before I'm good enough to move on to the second level? That wasn't the way to have fun: difficult games that never let you take a break from the action is where it's all at!

When the Playstation came along, I (a "Real Gamer" at the time) joined those who looked down on those stupid jocks and M-TV morons who were coming into our hobby and causing developers to dumb down the difficutly levels even more, and now they're trying to make our games into movies. What the f***'s the point if all I'm going to do is watch?

The simple truth of the matter is that none of these have killed Gaming. The kids of the 80's didn't do it, the jocks of the 90's failed, the casuals of the 00's ain't gonna do it either.

What has happened is that games no longer require that you to learn how to program stuff, to devote whole months of your life to beating a single level, to have the patience to write down reams of gibberish, to do all the things that stop you from having fun. And every time this happened, every time the barriers lowered a little more, new people flooded into our hobby, bringing with them new expectations, new ideas, more money, and just a little bit more social acceptibility, so that admitting at a party that you play video games no longer guarantees that you're sleeping alone that night.

And that's what's happening here: new technology has made it even easier for people to take up our hobby, and with them comes more money for our developers to create games, new ideas to expand the old genres, an easier way to play games, and, yes, increased social acceptibility (Guitar Hero, Mario Kart, and other "party" games can now get you laid. True Story!). Which of these things so bothers and disgusts you?

There's more. Any group or hobby that tries to forcibly expel new blood, that makes elitism a point of pride, will almost inevitably descend into irrelevance. Catering exclusively, or even primarily, to the "hardcore" of gaming will inevitably result in gaming retrogressing to the days where only a small homogenous niche plays the damned things, and thus new ideas are rare and the entire hobby stagnates.

We already have a very clear example of that with the comic book industry, where catering primarily to the "hardcore" excluded almost everyone, until all that's left is young males slobbering over the latest reboot of some series from the 60's or earlier. Nobody respects them: they're the butt of jokes, most girls roll their eyes when they hear that someone likes comic books, and when movie studios jack the properties they pay only lip service to the comic-con folks. I have zero desire to share the fate of those people.

That is one of the reasons why, instead of trying to repulse new gamers, I welcome them. And I know, from personal experience, that when the day's over and it's time to get ready for the next generation, gaming will be just as alive as it was when I got into it. Oh sure, it will change, in some ways good, in some ways bad. But at the end of the day, the sky will not have fallen, the games will still be fun, and in the end I'll have new experiences to look forward to.

I can't see how any of that is bad.

tl;dr

Around the Network

I'll give all the "Scott is wrong" people here a heads up

The strip is titled: Nerd Rage.

You'll figure it out sometime

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

ssj12 said:
SRPG said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

This is old, and it's sad to know that people agree with it too. I've beaten the Robot masters and saved the princess plenty of times myself (though I never fought Tyson) and all I can say is that I'm glad the days of overly difficult, inaccessible games is gone. For every gem on the NES there were at least 20 turds, and it's only nostalgia that helps the insecure "gamer" represented in that comic to forget that fact. The greats have always been few and far between, but what we have seen is fewer games that are absolute trash and more that are average to good. It is now exceptionally rare to throw your controller down in frustration due to a poorly designed game, yet the NES was once filled to the brim with games that were only difficult because you could barely make the game do what you wanted. 

Besides, most of those obscenely hard games were that way either because they were ported from the arcades, where frequent deaths meant more revenues, or because the developers wanted to make it last longer.  Nowadays people complain that a game ONLY lasts 5-6 hours, yet back in the day it was all too common to see game last 5-6 only because you died a million times in what was otherwise only a 45 minute adventure.

Really, I'm glad those days are gone.

I just love it when my favorite hobbys become popular and get ruined by people who just jumped on the bandwagon late (and change the course the waggon is headded in)

Its like when you go to a concert of your favorite band and a majority of the people there only came to hear the band's one hit song thats played on the radio. This happens in almost everything: wrestling, anime, music, movies, ect.

Casuals ruin everything no matter what it is.

Agreed, this is one of the reasons why I dont play card games any more. So many nubs with cards that make the game cake work. I remember my red/green Magc Deck which was strong but insanely difficult to work with yet now a days a red/green deck is the ultra pathetic excuss of easy. There is no such thing as strategy anymore in Yu-Gi-Oh, MTG, Pokemon, and everything else but The Eye of Judgment (mainly due to it being not popular yet.).

Maybe not now, but there was a metric ton of strategy in Yu-Gi-Oh! when i played it.

"Casuals ruin everything no matter what it is."

Typical hardcore thinking. I am glad you're going out.

Welcome the new generation of gamers

Bobbuffalo said:
"Casuals ruin everything no matter what it is."

Typical hardcore thinking. I am glad you're going out.

Welcome the new generation of gamers

And what a shitty generation you guys turned out to be. Do everyone a favor and go back to playing Minesweeper.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
SRPG said:
noname2200 said:

I pray the sheer pathetic-ness of this panel in particular gives us the true answer. It's such a sad little panel that it can only indicate satire; you've really got to examine your life if you think these things are really a badge of honor, after all.

But if I'm wrong, it's cool. My generation killed gaming decades ago. The Playstation kids and jocks killed gaming after us. Now its the soccer moms' and grandpas' turn to slay the hobby. Ten years from now, I look forward to hearing how those idiotic pot-belly NASCAR dads are killing gaming. And so the world turns.

Acomplishing something that not everyone can do is something to be proud of, no matter how tiny it is. Maybe you should go back to the gym and pretend you are better than everyone else.

Last time, you and I got off on the wrong foot. I'd like to try again, if I may, and I promise to keep the patronization to a minimum. Do be warned that what follows is a long post, though. So with that...

It is one thing to take pride in doing something others can not, even if that something is minor and pointless. We all do it at one point or another, so as long as its kept within reason there's nothing wrong with such behavior. For example, I am great in the kitchen, and even though that achievement isnt' really necessary nowadays it's still something that I can look on and smile about.

The problems arise when you take such an inordinate amount of pride in a meaningless accomplishment that you start being hostile to people who haven't done something similar. To continue my example, I don't take so much pride in my culinary skills that I actively loathe and despise anyone who buys cake mix or Top Ramen.

Yet that is essentially what is going on in with this comic. The author is proudly boasting that he (like myself) wasted large chunks of his childhood by locking himself in his room and memorizing ten-part button combinations that make his character swing his sword just so. He is, in fact, patting himself on the back for encountering a barrier to gameplay and surmounting it. He's welcome to do so: shoot, I still do the same myself.

Unfortunately, he then takes this to the illogical extreme: if you don't have the patience to do what I did, if you didn't make yourself a "social outcast" (his words, not mine) in pursuit of learning how to do a single Sonic Boom, if YOU didn't have the patience to jot down and keep sixty-character passwords just lying about, then I despise you. Never mind the fact that these button combinations, these lengthy passwords, these barriers to having fun, were never meant to be the challenge in and of themselves. No, if you have not Suffered as I have, then you are Not Worthy,

Here's the problems. Not only is that incredibly elitist (and I can't think of a single time that "elitist" qualifies as a good character trait), but that attitude ultimately retards the very hobby that we all enjoy. On a literal level, had gaming always listened to folks like this author, folks who wanted everyone to go through the hassles we had to go through, we'd all still have to be programming our games before we played them, rather than taking the easy out of just plopping the cartridge into a console.

And I'm not completely speaking hypothetically here: only a few decades ago, computer gamers (the "Real Gamers" of their time) were openly contemptful of those idiots who had to use an Atari or NES to play their games.

When it came time for the SNES/Genesis, "Real Gamers" (like myself) were infuriated. What do you mean that I don't have to replay the game twenty times before I'm good enough to move on to the second level? That wasn't the way to have fun: difficult games that never let you take a break from the action is where it's all at!

When the Playstation came along, I (a "Real Gamer" at the time) joined those who looked down on those stupid jocks and M-TV morons who were coming into our hobby and causing developers to dumb down the difficutly levels even more, and now they're trying to make our games into movies. What the f***'s the point if all I'm going to do is watch?

The simple truth of the matter is that none of these have killed Gaming. The kids of the 80's didn't do it, the jocks of the 90's failed, the casuals of the 00's ain't gonna do it either.

What has happened is that games no longer require that you to learn how to program stuff, to devote whole months of your life to beating a single level, to have the patience to write down reams of gibberish, to do all the things that stop you from having fun. And every time this happened, every time the barriers lowered a little more, new people flooded into our hobby, bringing with them new expectations, new ideas, more money, and just a little bit more social acceptibility, so that admitting at a party that you play video games no longer guarantees that you're sleeping alone that night.

And that's what's happening here: new technology has made it even easier for people to take up our hobby, and with them comes more money for our developers to create games, new ideas to expand the old genres, an easier way to play games, and, yes, increased social acceptibility (Guitar Hero, Mario Kart, and other "party" games can now get you laid. True Story!). Which of these things so bothers and disgusts you?

There's more. Any group or hobby that tries to forcibly expel new blood, that makes elitism a point of pride, will almost inevitably descend into irrelevance. Catering exclusively, or even primarily, to the "hardcore" of gaming will inevitably result in gaming retrogressing to the days where only a small homogenous niche plays the damned things, and thus new ideas are rare and the entire hobby stagnates.

We already have a very clear example of that with the comic book industry, where catering primarily to the "hardcore" excluded almost everyone, until all that's left is young males slobbering over the latest reboot of some series from the 60's or earlier. Nobody respects them: they're the butt of jokes, most girls roll their eyes when they hear that someone likes comic books, and when movie studios jack the properties they pay only lip service to the comic-con folks. I have zero desire to share the fate of those people.

That is one of the reasons why, instead of trying to repulse new gamers, I welcome them. And I know, from personal experience, that when the day's over and it's time to get ready for the next generation, gaming will be just as alive as it was when I got into it. Oh sure, it will change, in some ways good, in some ways bad. But at the end of the day, the sky will not have fallen, the games will still be fun, and in the end I'll have new experiences to look forward to.

I can't see how any of that is bad.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

EDIT: This is probably the best post i've read all year. I might buy LKS just because of this post now.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Hahahah! wow that replying was so sad! XXD

SRPG said:

tl;dr

ts; nwmt

In all seriousness, I must thank you. You've shown that you're not worth treating with any respect, which means I don't have to bother doing anything but patronizing you in the future. I assure you, that's not only what I expected, it's kind of what I wanted. Rest assured that after this post, I will only use small words and short sentences when speaking with you, lest yet another point go over your head. I shall take it as a challenge to communicate with someone who is incapable of understanding anything over four words long. Mind you, I'm quite aware that this is a monologue, since I know you couldn't get past the first complex sentence, but that's how it goes.

Bobbuffalo said:
Hahahah! wow that replying was so sad! XXD

Well i don't feel like arguing with a furry.

and you keepo going lol!

keep up the good posts dude!