By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ur favorite internet browser...

toastboy44562 said:
im really surprized a lot of u people didnt say IE

I imagine it is because it is awful.

For instance I just used it to try that acid test thing, it took 5 seconds to load the google home page yes 5!

Around the Network

Chrome!

Opera.

I'm currently running Opera 10a, I switched away to Chrome for a while (running nightly builds), but I just couldn't give up my Opera habit. I love this browser!

Safari 4 For Mac

Firefox for PC

Firefox/Iceweasel, because of a certain special addon that can't be mentioned here.

Around the Network

Chrome, until it stopped me from using quotes è now i get french instead

point x said:
Leonidus said:
^has to be the simplest browser out there

wow,.really,,. you  are   a genius,..

I know

Opera for 10 years here:)
Also...is there an Opera 10 out? My update can't find it...

Edit: nevermind, it's an alpha.

TWRoO said:

I don't quite understand what happened.

What does linktest failed mean?

-----

I think my Firefox got 71/100 (assuming it is on default settings, but I don't really know what that entails so it might not be)

I tried on IE and the page messed up and it seemed to end at 5/100

Basically, the Acid3 test tells the browser to do specific tasks, and it ranks the browser's performance (out of a hundred) on how well it performed the said tasks.

I believe that Opera (version 10a) is the only browser that can currently achieve 100/100 ranking, though I wouldn't be surprised if the latest Firefox BETA could do the same.

---

As for what the tests are, they're basically testing different aspects of the browser's renderer, there is a set of standards, or a "rule book" set out by the W3C which gives guidelines on how browsers should render different things, and how web designers should write their pages.

The idea is that, if everyone followed these standards, that end-users will be able to get the same experience browsing the web no matter what platform they're on, or what browser they use.

This works well in theory, but Microsoft are notorious for not meeting the standards with IE. This means that if web-designers were to follow the W3C then their websites may not end up working as intended on IE. As IE has the largest marketshare of web browsers, web designers stick to just getting it working on IE rather than following standards.

This, of course, makes the pages less viewable in other browsers - it's a dirty trick, set forth by Microsoft, to try and keep IE's market dominance.

Pellefant said:

Opera for 10 years here:)
Also...is there an Opera 10 out? My update can't find it...

Edit: nevermind, it's an alpha.

Still, give it a shot. It works very well for an Alpha build, and offers some nice new features (spell checker being the most helpful, to me).

Just run it alongside your stable build, but I've found it to be stable enough (it hasn't crashed on me, yet), to use it as my primary browser.