By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox720/PS4-Bypassing Blu-Ray For Holography

Xxain said:
Well SONY said themselves that BR isnt the future and expects it to be gone due to rapid growth in technology

Bullshit!I want proof of this, because Sony wants Blu Ray to go mainstream. What a waste of a console generation and the hard earned dollars of their consumers. For them to switch from Blu Ray so soon would be a **** you to their consumers. They sold Blu Ray as if it was the future. No hard format is the future.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

on Demand is the future anyway. As long as games like GTA IV or Gears of War2 fit on one DVD, I do not see the need to change the format. In 2012 BluRay will be more than enough.

300GB per disc is insane and nobody needs this. Think about it, my entire game collection could fit on one disc. That is a lot of space wasted and I do not want to pay for that wasted space.

Next-gen optical storage will be driven by the Movie and multimedia industry as it happened with BluRay and DVD. And they will need 300-500GB discs for prosumers interested into creation of 4k content, that will be made accessible by the likes of RED in the next 2 years.

On demand has its future, but won't cut it at really high bandwidths: we're talking 200+Mbit/s for the compressed video track only, with the best wavelet compression available. Thus it will be ok for some uses (Tv shows, rentals) but not for full quality when 4k hometheater systems will become widespread, let's say 5 years from now. Right now I can't see the net infrastructure consistenly keeping pace with these bandwidth demands and a good worldwide coverage in the next 5 years.

In all cases when you'll want to keep a local stored copy of the data, the optical media still seem the safer way to do so (HDD storage failure rates increase with size, ask any enterprise about the headaches of backup systems)

Consoles will trail 2-3 years after, they don't need as much space right now, as I don't see widespread adoption of anything better than 1080p for a while.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Mistershine said:
3.9TB! WTF are you gonna fill it with?

Epic games with 9080p FMVs and thousands of hours of high-quality unique gameplay. Think Super Mario Galaxy with 100 times as many galaxies or GTA4 with 100 playable cities.

I almost forgot, each game will cost $1 billion to develop and thus the games industry will employ hundreds of millions of people, ending the unemployment problem.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:
Well SONY said themselves that BR isnt the future and expects it to be gone due to rapid growth in technology

Bullshit!I want proof of this, because Sony wants Blu Ray to go mainstream. What a waste of a console generation and the hard earned dollars of their consumers. For them to switch from Blu Ray so soon would be a **** you to their consumers. They sold Blu Ray as if it was the future. No hard format is the future.

Actually there is an article on here somewhere where Sony themselves state that they are expecting Blu-Ray to begin fading by 2012-13.  This, along with the fact that it is no-where near what penitration they wanted it to have by now, (there own admission), it raises the idea that by 2012-13, what is going to be taking it's place???

IF Microsoft made a 'deal', and the price of the Holo tech was cheap enough, and the next xbox had this HOLO disk, couldn't movie studio's shift over to this medium, yet still be able to be played on Blu-ray players - thus targeting both HD abd BR, without actually supporting Blu-ray? - It would kinda be like games going Multiplat!

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Sony doesn't own Blu-ray.

It's always the biggest misconception for people that hate Sony.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Magera said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:

Actually there is an article on here somewhere where Sony themselves state that they are expecting Blu-Ray to begin fading by 2012-13.  This, along with the fact that it is no-where near what penitration they wanted it to have by now, (there own admission), it raises the idea that by 2012-13, what is going to be taking it's place???

IF Microsoft made a 'deal', and the price of the Holo tech was cheap enough, and the next xbox had this HOLO disk, couldn't movie studio's shift over to this medium, yet still be able to be played on Blu-ray players - thus targeting both HD abd BR, without actually supporting Blu-ray? - It would canda be like games going Multiplat!

I might understand games, but I don't see Holo tech being used for movies. Currently the problem is that there's not enough people owning HD tvs in the first place. Even if the next set of definition comes (Super Hi-Vision, which is still being developed) 2012-2013, assuming that the recession starts recede, Bestbuys will have been stockpiling unsold HD TVs, which will sell like hot pancakes.

You still got to take into account the financial aspect of the media your using . By the time The PS4/XBOX 720 is released Blu-Ray will be much cheaper , probably almost as cheap as the standard DVD .

Sony and MS will be looking for the lowest price point possible to achieve the maximum amount of marketshare , both will want to keep costs low.

Sony will want to continue to support Blu-Ray because of how it affects their entertainment business , particularly movies , there's no way another optical format is making an apearance in the entertainment industry for a long time (if ever).

Blu-Ray is more than adequet for this generation and with the advances made in blu-ray technology ( I read of a 100gb blu-ray disc ) I don't think there will be a need for a superior format , if 100GB is too little we can always revert back to multiple discs if the need arises ( remember blu-ray will be cheap enough for it to be a feasible option.)

Such a stupid article. From the very first sentence it's BS, since almost no one is talking about potential new consoles. We aren't even in remotely close to the right economic situation for that. But even if we were, we still have 0 need for holodiscs. Frankly, it's hard for game developers to fill a BR disc, and doing so means that the game's costs goes into multiple tens of millions. The industry is not ready for $100+ million games, barring a few exceptions like GT4 and it's not going to be for some time to come.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I like the idea of Flash, something like 200MB/Sec download speed and no moving parts like HDDs/Optical drives to break/pay for!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
I like the idea of Flash, something like 200MB/Sec download speed and no moving parts like HDDs/Optical drives to break/pay for!

That's all nice of course, but we'll have to see how much half a Terabyte of flash memory will cost in the same timeframe. It could just be too expensive as a read-only support.

On the other hand solid state HDD will probably become the norm as intermediate storage solutions, especially if the memristor technology takes hold.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman