By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Same point in time: PS3 3.5 million sales ahead of X360

City17 said:
FKNetwork said:
City17 said:
Reality is reality and no matter which way you want to spin it, same point in time PS3 IS winning! Sorry to break it to you but open your eyes. The only time that this will not be true is when the PS3 is NOT ahead of the xbox, same point in time...

If that happens then you can have a same point in time victory celebration...

Until then deal with reality people!!!!!!

And yet the PS3 is still over 8 million units behind 360 and the gap is growing lmao

Doing aligned launch comparisons just make sony fanboys look VERY VERY desperate, overall sales the 360 is beating the PS3 by 8 million units with no signs of the PS3 catching up anytime soon, the gap will be 9 million in a few months, then 10 million then getting into the christmas season it will leave the PS3 in the dust just like every christmas,

And remember, PS3 is DOWN year on year, that is bad no matter how you try and spin it when the 360 is UP year on year, 360 hasn't just gained a bit, it's gained a LOT while PS3 fell in the same time frame specially in Europe and the U.S.

You do the maths......

But whatever, fanboys have never been accused of being logical!

Yup, you should know

Around the Network
Infinity said:
TRios_Zen said:
Infinity said:
kowenicki said:
forevercloud3000 said:
When two opponents are in a mile race together.
if one gets a 2 lap head start on the other, you cannot pass the finish line boasting about you won :P
The OP is very much relevant to today. People still love to point out that the PS3 is behind the two others without entering in the variables. 360 got a rather large head start, and the Wii is dirt cheap compared to HD and has appealed to a new market. The PS3 is doing fine relatively to those facts, yet the Wii is the true cinderella story this gen so far. PS3 might pull one, but much later in this gen.

Rubbish, of course you can.

Its the losers own stupid fault for sitting on the starting line scratching their arse rather than starting to run.

You cant then go to the race stewards and say "waahhh but i ran faster (when I eventually got going).... wahhhhh"

You lost.... thats how a race works.

Wrong. You have to think of it like a time trial. It doesn't matter who started first, the final time is what matters. To date, the PS3 has better sales in the same amount of time on the market. Do you really think the 360 will stay on the market longer than the PS3? Extremely unlikely.

Two problems in your argument:

1) PS3 sales YOY are down, while 360 are up.

Good point, but 1) they are not down substantially,  2) Do you seriously believe the PS3 will do worse YOY again at this time next year? This is clearly not a continuing trend for PS3 sales. 3) Even with the 1 year drop in sales, the PS3 is still outselling the 360 in the same time frame!

Huh? what? That is false every way you can look at it.  The 360 is WoW outselling the PS3 of 1 year ago (if you're looking at aligned launches). The 360 is currently outselling the PS3. And with the "1 year drop in sales" we can't do an aligned launch comparison of the 360's 2009 sales until the PS3's 2010 sales are in.

City17 said:
Reality is reality and no matter which way you want to spin it, same point in time PS3 IS winning! Sorry to break it to you but open your eyes. The only time that this will not be true is when the PS3 is NOT ahead of the xbox, same point in time...

Well put. My reality says the current point in time is May 2009, and that the 360 is over 8 million units ahead of the PS3. What's the date in your reality, and what are the sales?

Jereel Hunter said:
City17 said:

Well put. My reality says the current point in time is May 2009, and that the 360 is over 8 million units ahead of the PS3. What's the date in your reality, and what are the sales?

point in time of life cycle smarty pants...

Infinity said:
Pylis said:

The PS3 is selling fine--but let's face it, being first to market brings an advantage, and being last to market brings a disadvantage. This isn't some fantasy land bullshit where the last to market can be considered the victor by some insane dipshit voodoo logic--this is business. I've read multiple "race" analogies throughout this thread, and they're entirely irrelevant. What matters is the bottom line, and what the install base offers in the way of potential sales to developers.

Sony's Playstation 3 is in last place--period. It's not a knock on the system by any means; it's an excellent piece of hardware, and any serious gamer should eventually own all three consoles, really. But there's no reason to play these stupid games to somehow delude oneself into believing that one's personal favorite console is doing better than it really is.

Being first to market brings an advantage? Tell that to the following consoles:

Fairchild Channel F (came out before Atari 2600)

Turbo-Grafx  16 (came out before SNES)

3DO (came out before Playstation)

Dreamcast (came out before PS2)

Its the Xbots who are "deluding themselves" into thinking just because it had a head start in install base that it will sell the most consoles when all is said and done.

I think you completely missed the point. Rereading my post, though, I suppose I can clarify, just a bit.

It was said earlier in this thread, and it's worth repeating: entering the market first brings with it risk, along with the potential advantage that comes from having your product available before the competition.

In this scenario, it seems to have paid off--Microsoft has done what they set out to do by eating into Sony's market share while significantly growing the Xbox brand. A lot of this would not have been possible had they released the Xbox 360 at the same time, or later, than the Playstation 3. Granted, early entry is hardly a guarantee--the examples you posted above are more than proof of this.

Regardless, there's no denying that being first to market, at least in part, afforded the Xbox 360 the 8 million console lead it currently has. Aligning dates is meaningless--the market is constantly changing, and momentum swings, console cost, economic downturns, and all manner of other economic and market changes make it extremely difficult to predict the future strictly based on past performance without considering the present state of the market.

The only "delusion" I see in this thread are the absurd justifications made by fanboys to convince themselves that the PS3 is somehow the victor against the Xbox 360, because "aligning the dates" makes it so. Now, obviously we can't predict if the 360 will maintain its lead for the rest of the generation, or if it will eventually be overtaken by the Playstation 3. But I have a much more important question:

Do we really give a shit?

Given the large lead that the 360 enjoys, even if the Playstation 3 ends up selling more consoles at the end of the generation, it will be far too late for it to even remotely matter.

Around the Network
scat398 said:
These numbers are a good sign for the PS3. Once Sony can afford a price cut sales should increase nicely. I think the only thing of great concern for Sony should be the alligned launch numbers for NA. The 360 is way ahead even without the headstart. And now that Europe and more importantly England has adopted the 360 a price cut may not be enough to capture either of those areas.

LMAO dude Europe has not adopted the 360, PS3 has already outsold it in pretty much every country other then the uk.

Even with a much higher price and later launch PS3 has whooped on the 360.

twingo said:
scat398 said:
These numbers are a good sign for the PS3. Once Sony can afford a price cut sales should increase nicely. I think the only thing of great concern for Sony should be the alligned launch numbers for NA. The 360 is way ahead even without the headstart. And now that Europe and more importantly England has adopted the 360 a price cut may not be enough to capture either of those areas.

LMAO dude Europe has not adopted the 360, PS3 has already outsold it in pretty much every country other then the uk.

Maybe you should check the last few months of sales then, the 360 is outselling the PS3 in every country except Germany (ps3 ahead by less than 1k) and "others"

Last time I checked (yesterday) the 360 has continued to outsell the PS3 in Europe for over 6 months with 360 ahead by over 1 million units and rising,

Sony fanboys are so deluded, pure comedy gold!

kowenicki said:
I wonder if PS3beats360 realises how many posts he is clocking up that can be thrown in his face over the coming 12 months, when everything he says is proved to be the pile of BS we already know it is.

lol, you think he'll still be around in 12 months?  I don't know, he doesn't seem like the "long term" kind of user to me...

gergroy said:
kowenicki said:
I wonder if PS3beats360 realises how many posts he is clocking up that can be thrown in his face over the coming 12 months, when everything he says is proved to be the pile of BS we already know it is.

lol, you think he'll still be around in 12 months?  I don't know, he doesn't seem like the "long term" kind of user to me...

I think he will change his name to, yup, you guessed it "360beatsPS3"

FKNetwork said:
twingo said:
scat398 said:

Maybe you should check the last few months of sales then, the 360 is outselling the PS3 in every country except Germany (ps3 ahead by less than 1k) and "others"

Last time I checked (yesterday) the 360 has continued to outsell the PS3 in Europe for over 6 months with 360 ahead by over 1 million units and rising,

Sony fanboys are so deluded, pure comedy gold!

xbox fanboys are so dense its priceless.

LT sales child, PS3 sales are above 360 overall pretty much everywhere other then in the uk. Is that so hard to understand ?

Thus it looks like 360 is far from adopted by the Europeans, most major makrets like France Italy Spain Germany seem to be rather anti 360.