By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and the decline of hardcore gaming

Hardcore gaming is about competition, fame and profit.
Casual gaming it just to spend time gaming.
Besides, let's not forget Wii attracted many people for the interactivity innovation. That's all.

Being hardcore means you have to spend more on your games and you gotta be the first. That's why people has turned their look over the Wii.

360 + Wii + Steam

Lone traveler

Around the Network
Zebastian von Kane said:
Besides, let's not forget Wii attracted many people for the interactivity innovation. That's all.

Being hardcore means you have to spend more on your games and you gotta be the first. That's why people has turned their look over the Wii.

I'm definately a casual gamer then

Zebastian von Kane said:

then why aren't people "turning their backs" on PS3/X360? Those consoles too are aimed at a more casual oriented crowd that doesn't even bother to play fast-paced games and don't care much about playing against the best and hardest players, nor do they care about more complex games like Civilization IV or many of the awesome simulation games around.

Because publice in general see X360 and PS3 as they biased hi-spec platforms for hardcore gamers, whose the market portraits them as the only ones who would spend the extra money.

It's like the stereotypes. People has already a picture of what the consoles has to offer. Moreover, let's remember the Wii interactivity was enough to allow people who thought videogames were complicated, to actually jump in.

C' ya round!

360 + Wii + Steam

Lone traveler

shio said:
Kantor said:
Yeah, because Wii Music DESTROYED Halo 3 in sales...

Why can't these people understand that casual gaming is no new phenomenon? Hardcore gaming is not going anywhere as long as the GTAs, CoDs, GTs and Halos of the world routinely sell over 10 million copies across all systems.

Some people are such drama queens...putting faith in casual gamers is stupid. For all you know, for them gaming could be a temporary hobby, and in a few years, they'll switch to mountain biking.

GTAIV, Halo 3 and COD4 are as casual as they come in their own genres... I'm not sure on GT though.

And in any event how many such huge series are there?  I would say less than 10.  Which means such sales are open to very very few developers.  EA, Ubisoft, Konami, Take Two, Activision, Capcom (but they had to convert Resident Evil to a 360 shooter to join this group but sales are still nowhere near super casual Mario & Sonic Wii).  Everyone else that makes hardcore games is faced with hugh cost and low sales which to me seems a very unhealthy state of affairs so huge incentive for them to go Wii casual.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

what i was saying is all on the first post

Wii hate rises from the fact that Wii expands casual gaming which decreases hardcore % let's say, but it's not killing hardcore, for god's sake

also, wasn't the Wii supposed to be doomed, or supposed to be "not competing"

LoL, it's kind of funny

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Zebastian von Kane said:

No, that's because the Wii had a revolutionary control scheme, and appealed to casuals even more than the PS2 did.

Yes, the large majority of PS2 owners were casual gamers.

EDIT: A casual game and a casual gamer are two very different things.

A casual game is something like DDR, Guitar Hero, or Buzz. Something not inherently...violent, I suppose. Something which could appeal to non-gamers.

A casual gamer is what you described. Somebody who games, on occasion, to have fun. Someone who loves Halo and has no idea who Bungie are. Somebody who plays GTA4 a hell of a lot, without knowing that it got a 98 on Metacritic.

The 360, in that sense, has more casual gamers than the PS3. The Wii has even more, just due to its userbase.

But you know, somebody who plays The Sims, or Guitar Hero, or DDR, or Buzz, for five hours a day, knows who makes them, what reviews they got, has read up on them prior to release and posts on a forum about them...he's a hardcore gamer.

So the PS2 had casual games and casual gamers. The PS3 doesn't have much of either. And that, above everything else, is why it is in third.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

It seams that one of the bigest dangers to hardcore gaming is cost if the cost of making games is to high fewer will be made.

As the ps360 have pushed up costs game makers are put under pressure games are made to profit if not dev's go broke.

When you spend lots of money you need to make much more there are a limits to how many hardcore games can make money so your base must grow or your costs must be lowered.

Plenty of niche films are still made, I doubt hardcore gaming will ever die, the market will expand to eclipse hardcore gaming though.

Hardcore will probably become very niche, mostly thanks to Nintendo & the Wii. I don't get why people are surprised. Nothing lasts forever. If Wii didn't send it into decline then something else would have. Nothing is infinite (except maybe space?).

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions