By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 re-buys shouldn't be accounted for

20-30 million is quite high, actually. If you assume that's the number of rebuys due to failure, that puts the failure rate at 20% - 30%. No way.

Edit: Being harsh on the PS2, we'll assume a 10% failure rate.  That gives 11 million rebuys, for a total of 109 million consoles sold.  I seriously doubt the failure rate was 10%, but even if it is, the news isn't nearly so bad as you say it is. 

Around the Network

Check your math there. If you sold 100 million consoles with a 20% failure rate and all of those people bought another one, then that's an additional 20 million consoles sold for a grand total of 120 million.

So every console has a rebuy rate ... so it means that the 360 was bought by ... let me see ... 3 persons :P ( JK ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

"W/e, the the % is pretty high."

Got hard numbers to back that up?  "Pretty high" is not terribly concrete and doesn't allow for an actual analysis of the scenario you're proposing.

I won't make an estimation. I don't have any hard numbers, so any estimations would be pure speculation and, thus, totally irelevant.

Around the Network

The numbers on this site are intended to measure how many units have been sold, end of story. If you want to use "fair" numbers for penis measurement, then I suppose you're free to make up any rules you want for what counts. Most people seem to be doing it, and more often than not in a way that makes their own favorite seem the best.

You aren't much different from the guy who specifies "that still work!" in his sig in this respect.

they were bought, so they should be counted.
in truth i would guess there are about 100 million ps2 owners, maybe 10 million lost due to early model failures, 5 for just generally old ps2s being replaced [ie launch models that lasted 5-6 years], and 5 million for people who bought slim despite having a working old ps2.

that however doesn't matter, they should still be counted just like any extra DSs due to lite... and as NES has had such a long life i would bet you could take away 10 million from it [5 for broken...[really low for such an old system] and 5 for re-models [i think it was re-moddled twice?]

the only system you couldn't take away much for failure is GB, but the 120mil for that is a myth due to the colour GB [am i right in thinking colour games didn't work on old GB...even if they do such a drastic hardware change is a new console really]

so there you go, all 120mil ps2s should be counted. edit; i agree with parokki, doesn't that guy also have ps3 at 10 mil by end 07.

Building a faulty product so people are forced to buy more if a perfectly fine marketing ploy. Well not to you or I. But it's fair in the buisness world to boost sales.

The PS2 had to be good enough to convince you to buy a new one afterall.

Parokki said:
The numbers on this site are intended to measure how many units have been sold, end of story. If you want to use "fair" numbers for penis measurement, then I suppose you're free to make up any rules you want for what counts. Most people seem to be doing it, and more often than not in a way that makes their own favorite seem the best.

You aren't much different from the guy who specifies "that still work!" in his sig in this respect.

I think it does make sense to take into consideration how many of each console are rebuys due to failure.  Knowing this number gives you a better idea of the true install base.  This will matter very much to developers when deciding what system to bring their games to, as people who had to rebuy their system will not buy one copy of the game for each rebuy.

Planned obsolescence is a factor in the design and manufacture of a product.