By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 re-buys shouldn't be accounted for

Do you know how many GB's were rebuys, i would say atleast half, mostly kids own them and they like to drop stuff and spill soda all over them. Add in all the different colours and smaller versions and all that crap too.

Around the Network

The thing is Soriku, they were sold at retail. They weren't warranty replacements at all. Should we start to not count those who owned more then one so they could have multiple systems in different rooms?

Your argument is weak, and if that is the case, then 360 has to be around 8 million units sold, which means that the PS3 isn't that far behind them. But that is just silly to think that. Rebuys or not, people bought them. If someone was ticked that their PS2 broke, they had the option to just not rebuy it at all and switch to another console or just stay with computer gaming. If it sold at retail, it sold at retail. No if's and's or but's about it.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Great thread, will read again.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

jjseth said:
The thing is Soriku, they were sold at retail. They weren't warranty replacements at all. Should we start to not count those who owned more then one so they could have multiple systems in different rooms?

Your argument is weak, and if that is the case, then 360 has to be around 8 million units sold, which means that the PS3 isn't that far behind them. But that is just silly to think that. Rebuys or not, people bought them. If someone was ticked that their PS2 broke, they had the option to just not rebuy it at all and switch to another console or just stay with computer gaming. If it sold at retail, it sold at retail. No if's and's or but's about it.

Not so.  Most faulty 360s have been replaced under warranty and as such, have not likely resulted in significantly higher numbers in retail.

GranTurismo said:
Do you know how many GB's were rebuys, i would say atleast half, mostly kids own them and they like to drop stuff and spill soda all over them. Add in all the different colours and smaller versions and all that crap too.

This Gameboy survived a bomb attack. You don't believe me? You can go see it at the Nintendo World Store in New York.

Yes, I REALLY think kids dropping gameboys and spilling soda on them is going to cause them to break. I once dropped my GBA off the stairs and it still lived, so I can confirm Gamboy is a solid brand.

Around the Network

I've seen a DS fall 3feet and break.

I broke two original gameboys. Does this make me harder than a bomb?

Yes

I think someone is trying too hard imo. -_-

There's a legitimate point behind all of the wild guessing at numbers. No one really cares how many units a system sells, but that's all that we have numbers for. We're all really just concerned with how much of a base there is for software or, as a curiosity, how many unique owners there are.

Given that more PS2s are rebuys, one could probably do a better job of comparing the PS2 and Wii by looking at software sales. If the Wii moves significantly more or less software, then it's a good bet that it has more or fewer unique owners.

Phil I said that because it's hard to judge exactly how many were rebuys and that it's a silly argument to have. If it's been sold, it's been sold. Should we count against Sony those that were broken due to the lack of care or abuse it takes? Hard to tell unless we go and get everyone quizzed that owns a PS2 or owned one.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.