By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My XBox 360 vs PS3 comparison (mostly technical)

MikeB

You connect the Ps3 with Amiga multiple times. I shall do some connecting. :)

Windows based pcs dominated Amiga. Xbox 360 is more like a computer the Ps3 is more like an Amiga. There fore... The xbox 360 will dominate the Ps3. Fun stuff.

Anyways, MikeB I do think the ps3 is in serious trouble. Its in a very similar position that the dream cast was in vs the ... PS2.

Around the Network

@ elendar

Anyways, MikeB I do think the ps3 is in serious trouble. Its in a very similar position that the dream cast was in vs the ... PS2.

I don't think so, many important games are under development for the PS3. The PS3 is selling about as fast as the XBox 360 did last year at a higher entry price, this with its most anticipated games yet to be released. The PS3 is certainly outperforming the Dreamcast (US launch price $199!).

I think many people like to exaggerate.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ elendar

And Sony is no Sega or Commodore:

When it comes to considering what console to buy, Sony's Jack Tretton would like to remind you that PS3 is going to be alive and kicking for many, many years to come. PlayStation 3 is "future proof", he recently told PC World.

Take that, Sega Dreamcast!

"The original PlayStation lasted ten years -- a tremendous innovation when other platforms died and were all but forgotten," he explained. "The same thing is going on with the PS2, and I think that will be the case with the PS3."

The man certainly has a point. We're seven years into PS2 now, and sales for both hardware and games are mucho both impressive for a console introduced in 2000.

"I don't think we expected nor we need to capture the lifecycle of the PS3 in the first nine months. We want to build evangelists, one consumer at a time, and it involves sacrificing in the short term before paying off in the long term," Tretton concluded.

IMO the PS3's hardware specifications will remain very impressive for a long time to come.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB wrote:

Peripheral expansions

Unlike the Xbox 360 the PS3 comes with wireless Blue-Tooth (up to 7 devices) and Wi-Fi connections by default. The PS3 has one more USB 2.0 port, a higher bandwidth Gigabit Ethernet port, card readers such as SD, Compact Flash and Memory Sticks. The PS3 also already supports some printers. The Xbox 360 unlike the PS3 includes an IR port.
Unlike the Xbox 360 the PS3 can be easily expanded using mainstream peripherals such as PC keyboards, mice, Blue-Tooth headsets and 2.5 inch SATA hard drives.
Newer Xbox 360 versions supports HDTVs to be connected through HDMI 1.2, the PS3 supports up to HDMI 1.3 which allows for up to twice the output bandwidth.

Conclusion: the PS3 wins this one hands-down.

Some cool Logitech Bluetooth gear for the PS3:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/16919/bluetooth-ps3-headset/

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ elendar

I don't think so, many important games are under development for the PS3. The PS3 is selling about as fast as the XBox 360 did last year at a higher entry price, this with its most anticipated games yet to be released. The PS3 is certainly outperforming the Dreamcast (US launch price $199!).

I think many people like to exaggerate.

Why is pricing important, well first some research to back up my theory:

1. Men aged 18-49 play lots of video games.
2. Lots of people own consoles.
3. A lot of people watch American Idol.
4. Women play video games too!
5. A lot of kids play on the Wii, and they mostly play when they get
back from school.
6. Gamers who play on the 360 and PS3 -- they tend to be older -- play
in the evening.
7. Gamers are mostly playing on the PS2.
8. Gamers are getting interested in next-gen gaming.

9. The most played PC game is World of Warcraft.
10. After stating that the heaviest gamers play an average of 10 hours a week, Mr. Herrmann explained that he would rather use that time for
sleep.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/tgs07/nielsen-tells-us-about-gaming-302712.php

If I were a parent I would rather buy my kid a PS2 or a Nintendo Wii for christmas, although I could easily afford a PS3 I think 600 Euros is too much as a kid's birthday present or chirstmas gift. I would wait until a cheaper slimline product is released. If I would have two or more kid's buying each a 600 Euro console would certainly be out of the question, they would have to learn to share. Buying two PS2s at this point wouldn't make me feel as if I would spoil my kids too much.

The PS3 IMO is currently geared towards more mature gamers and of course the market will widen with future price drops. Currently I rather consider the PS3 to be a high tech electronics device, rather than a cheap toy.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

MikeB, it doesn't help your case to go around quoting Sony press releases, especially when it's Jack Tretton saying, "The original PlayStation lasted ten years -- a tremendous innovation when other platforms died and were all but forgotten," conveniently forgetting that the NES lasted just as long. 

Seriously, you're posting pictures of wireless headsets and USB keyboards!  Are you looking at what you're posting?  Can you see what you've been reduced to?  Raging fanboyism does not help your argument.  I mean, yes it may be cool that you can use all that stuff on the PS3, but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  Am I wrong?  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

@ sieanr:

Does the lack of response indicate that you are conceding my points?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Final-Fan said:
@ sieanr:

Does the lack of response indicate that you are conceding my points?

What points?

That the Cell is an impressive processor? I already stated that.

Oh, and the Neo Geo lasted 14 years, with the last releases being Metal Slug and King of Fighters in 2004 - two of the platforms biggest titles.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Ahem. On Page 5 alone, here are some of the disputations between us in which you have made an argument, I have presented my counterargument, and I never heard back with either acknowledgement or rebuttal:

NUMBER ONE:
I said:

I would like to point out that that developer's entire point boils down to "PS3 is harder to develop for but has Blu-ray and Cell; 360 has the better GPU; 360 has been out longer and therefore has more and better games; RRoD is not my problem."

None of this is even remotely controversial; MikeB has stated his agreement with all the things I have said above, except for the "better games" which is only true until LBP/MGS4 hit anyway.

Tell me something the developer really said not covered by my above interpretation AND that isn't sheer opinion.

You said:
PS3 cant do AI as well as the 360, due to the Cell

I riposted,
Except he DIDN'T SAY THAT. Anything else? or was that all you had?

You have not responded to that question. If you like, you can simply answer "Yes, I have more" or "No, that was all", or, if the answer is "Yes", you can explain in further detail anything I missed in my summary.

NUMBER TWO:
We have had a lengthy exchange regarding what aspects of the PS3's design may have been rushed. Your last post on this subject was as follows:
The fact that you claim Sony never seriously considered a Cell GPU solution implies that the current GPU arrangment was not rushed.

If Sony had never seriously considered using the Cell for everything, then what was the intended GPU? Since you offered no alternative, I assumed that you meant Sony always planned on something from Nvidia or Ati, and thus had planned as such from the outset.

I responded,
I merely assumed you were aware of your own post in which you stated:
Relativly late in its design cycle Sony came to the realization that 4 Cells would be too expensive and not offer enough performance for graphics. So, Sony went to ATI to ask for a graphics solution. For a while, it looked like they were going to have a deal, but things feel through.

Sony then went to Nvidia, who offered them a quick and dirty solution.

I made it clear that I was rejecting the idea that Sony seriously considered a 4-Cell design beyond the early concept stage, while remaining at least open to the idea that the rest of your information (namely, botched deal with ATI) was accurate.

That scenario, if true, would take care of the "rushed GPU" very nicely without any mention of a multiple-Cell design. Did you assume I was just too stupid to remember what you posted, or were you the forgetful one?

You have not responded to that question, but I'll let you off the hook as it was pretty rhetorical.

NUMBER THREE:
You raised a question:
If you just look at the Cell design, the similarities between the SPUs and Sharder pipelines in a GPU should immedietly jump out. The Cell was designed to perform many functions a traditional GPU can - why would they do that if they always intended to use it as just a CPU.

I responded,
I am (and have been) aware of the Cell-GPU similarities, but this in no way implies that it was meant to substitute for the GPU in the PS3.

This last does not actually require a response, but it is a point that I made which you have neither acknowledged nor rebutted.

On another note: I was aware of the Neo-Geo, but it wasn't a major system the way the NES, PS1, and PS2 were/are. Thanks to Brazil, the Sega Master System, depending on how you count it, either lasted for 14 years as well, or is up to 21 and counting! But I don't think that really ought to count.

(Wikipedia says that it was discontinued there in 2000, and yet "is still in production today". I believe they mean that games are no longer produced but the system itself (with built-in games as well as a cartridge slot) is still manufactured and sold.)

[edit:  And then there's the Atari 2600...] 

Well at the end of the day there alot of things wrong here, so many people are trying to show how big there E-penis is that they forgot that at the end of the day power doesn't make systems sell.

Xbox was more powerful than ps3 but lost.

Also Mike starting sales don't mean jack either.

Dreamcast had a record breaking launch but still lost.

The most important aspects when it comes down to systems selling are timing, pricing and games. The truth of the matter is that from a profit and market share currently the Wii is dominating, not only has it sold more that the 360 n half the time but Nintendo is the only company making a profit on ever system, something microsoft just started doing and that sony still isn't.

One thing I noticed was how lots of people say give sony time and wait till there games start hitting, but your biggest games are still far behind Halo in terms of selling power. Halo as a francise is the single highest grossing entertainment francise. Thus it means that sony's big AA titles are still climbing and uphill battle.