By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor - Super Mario Galaxy hits 400,000 preorder mark

The only time I preorder is for Steam games such as ORANGE BOX OMG PREPURCHASE IT RIGHT NOW SO YOU CAN PLAY TF2 BETA ON MONDAY!!!! and for bonuses, like a Phoenix Wright plush doll I can apparently get when preordering the next game?

Otherwise, I don't see the point anymore. I used to a few times when I was younger, but now I realize that stores don't always get it on time, and if they don't, I'm screwed because I threw money at them, only to see it came out a day early at Toys R Us or Target or whatever.

If I have reason to believe Mario or SSBB will be sold out, I'll make sure to pre-order. But if it's not at one store, there's at least 10 game-selling stores within every quarter mile around here...one of them will have it on launch day, so no use tying myself to one store.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

And let's cut the Halo vs. Mario or Brawl crap...there's another thread discussing that already.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Sorry...

Anyways, you wanna ban Hus already?

Just like the rumor by the same place that Halo was at 4 million preorders from gamestop alone a few months ago?

Don't be stupid enough to believe it, regardless of the smaller number. The game will do a little more than that (600-700K) in it's first whole month using common sense. I love gullible people.

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

The main Mario games have always sold huge so it's very likely that Galaxy will sell at the very least 11-12 million over it's lifetime but more likely it'll be millions higher, possibly 17-18 million (I would have went higher because of the Wii's potential installed base but games don't seem to sell as well as they did during the nes/snes days, even the best selling PS2 games never reached above 15 million with an installed base of around 118-120 million).

Around the Network

Games are selling as well as they did in the NES days. Its just a wider variety of games. NES had 64 games over 1 million copies. And PS2 Has something like 160 games over 1 million copies. And also the NES only had 3 titles that sold like they were on steroids. Then it went back down to 7mil and under. At any rate, as for predictions of SMG...I actually predict a lot lower than you Legend. Im going to say 7-10 million lifetime.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

I preordered my first ever game the other day. Zelda phantom hourglass came with a free Zelda DS case, I couldn't resist.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I live in the suburbs of a relatively small capital so preordering is generally a good idea because there's only maybe 5 stores within fifteen miles of me that sell games seriously enough to have things out day one. I can understand for those of you that have a ton of stores close to you, but for those of us who's ability to acquire a game isn't so sure, preordering can be an excellent idea.

Sounds great I'd say... How important is Gamestop/EB for preoders? I mean, does it account for, let's say, 50 percent of the market or is it just one store amongst others?

For me, preordering only makes sense if the game gets delivered to my place because I live in a small village without games stores.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

For the record, Gamestop employees do not have access to company wide pre-order totals, just their store.

Erikers, I work with the guy who wrote that article. He too was told 4 million by different employees from different Gamestops (figured the same numbers from different stores and employees was proof). Obviously the real figures were far from the Gamestop employees figures.

The rEVOLution is not being televised